Why is nobody discussing Bottas' Halo problems?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Why is nobody discussing Bottas' Halo problems?

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 13:42
Jolle wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 13:25
Insights change over the years. Racingcars didn't have seatbelts because they thought it was safer to be thrown from the car then be strapped in it.
They thought that because it was, most of the time, better to be thrown clear. No roll protection, no fire prevention, protection or suppression systems. Being trapped in a burning ball of metal was a very real risk. Most would rather risk dying quickly from an impact from being thrown out than die by burning to death.

The halo will save a driver from a loose wheel or from a somersaulting car going over the tub e.g. Brundle was hit by Verstappen's wheel in 1994.
https://youtu.be/llYAJGxzaiE

I just hope that we don't see an unforeseen injury/death as a result of it.
I can't imagine any type of accident that would be caused of would be (serious) worse because of the Halo (in modern racing).

I can imagine a big start crash at australia next year, with a tire bouncing on Hamiltons Halo, saving the sport at their first outing.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
The halo will save a driver from a loose wheel or from a somersaulting car going over the tub e.g. Brundle was hit by Verstappen's wheel in 1994.
Good grief! Watch that at 1/4 speed, the deflections on Brundle's neck, it's a miracle he's alive!!! Fortunately that sort of contact hasn't happened in a while, though we've had some close calls. It's frankly disgusting how opposed to halo he is, purely on looks, considering the accidents he's been fortunate to live through.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle
Jolle

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 14:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
Good grief! Watch that at 1/4 speed, the deflections on Brundle's neck, it's a miracle he's alive!!! Fortunately that sort of contact hasn't happened in a while, though we've had some close calls. It's frankly disgusting how opposed to halo he is, purely on looks, considering the accidents he's been fortunate to live through.
In his own words:

"The car had a throttle mechanism that was geared, and at Interlagos the gears kept jamming. So I spent the weekend flying off the road with the throttle stuck open. I was having quite a good race, and I got past people like Jos Verstappen and Eddie Irvine. And then it did its party trick of throwing its flywheel off, which it did on a number of occasions. Ron was on the radio saying. “Try to get it back to the pits.”

And then I found myself in a gravel trap, and I couldn't work out what was going on or how I'd got there. I'd had a big accident basically, and been hit on the head by Verstappen's car. There was a big mark on my helmet, but luckily for me the rollover hoop took a lot of the energy. It was the closest I ever came to dying in a racing car.

I collected myself and started to walk back to the pits. I collapsed, and I crawled back. The marshals were all looking at the track, and I couldn't attract their attention – I wanted some water. I eventually got back to the pits, did the debrief, and got on the plane home. This was before we had as much knowledge of concussion as we have now. A full week later my family said to me, “We're taking you to the hospital, you're not right.” And I wasn't, I was heavily concussed, although I was still able to do the next race."

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/heritag ... e-2144775/

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 13:52

I can't imagine any type of accident that would be caused of would be (serious) worse because of the Halo (in modern racing).
That's why it's an "unforeseen" accident...

The Law of Unintended Consequences usually rears its head at some point. Hopefully it won't be a big consequence.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Ennis
Ennis

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 14:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
Drivers were much more exposed to side on impact then than they are now.

It's surprising we've had no head-on shunts recently. Of all the cars turned the wrong way, they've managed to avoid impact. Halo should help protect in that regard, and would also protect for any large objects (wheels) coming head on. Anything from the side or behind, such as Brundle's impact, would already be covered - or at least could be with an extra inch added...

Ennis
Ennis

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 14:55
Jolle wrote:

The Law of Unintended Consequences usually rears its head at some point. Hopefully it won't be a big consequence.
They're in a no-win situation with that one. Every single thing in the world carries a degree of risk. The Halo could reduce risk by 17% overall, but introduce a 0.00001% 'new' risk. Overall its the right thing to do, but if the new risk causes a serious accident or death then it doesn't matter to the general public.

GitanesBlondes

Hulkenberg seems to think the halo won't last till the end of 2018.

Who knows.

The happy medium would be to do the windscreen and reintroduce ground effects.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

jjn9128

GitanesBlondes wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 16:52
Hulkenberg seems to think the halo won't last till the end of 2018.

Who knows.

The happy medium would be to do the windscreen and reintroduce ground effects.
I'm trying to find which season it was that ALL drivers signed a document to the FIA saying they wanted cockpit protection. It was after Massa and Surtees' accidents, so I think it was 2010/11, so Vettel, Hamilton, Hulkenberg...etc were all on the grid. So of the vocal detractors only Magnussen and Verstappen can at least claim they didn't ask for it.

Is a windscreen more open cockpit than the halo? Does a windscreen not come with further issues? The aeroscreen had a separation and recirculation bubble which was pushing down on Vettel's helmet, plus the tight compound curvature can lead to visual distortion - which is where he was quoted as feeling sick (whether that was political as Ferrari were an early adopter of the halo is another matter). Plus there's fogging, rain, oil...etc so it's not simple case of just plonking a screen atop the chassis.

Much as I dislike the aesthetic of the halo, though the more I see cars with it the more I get used to it - I even quite like it from the 3/4 front angle, the list of positives for it far outweighs the negatives.

On 'ground effects' I've said it hundreds of times, F1 cars are ground effect vehicles, almost 100% of their downforce is produced by the 'ground effect' (even the rear wing is aided by the negative pressure field created by the diffuser). Venturi floors are unlikely to be a magic solution to the following issue, especially in a constructors championship. The wake from the rear wing passes over a following vehicle while the wakes of the rear wheels and diffuser directly impact it, so a car with a bigger rear wing and a low drag body (covered wheels and a small diffuser) will follow through corners better.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 18:35

Is a windscreen more open cockpit than the halo?
Other than aesthetic considerations, the fact is that the aero screen has precedent and is very much F1. Neither the halo nor the total canopy can say that.

I would prefer the aero screen if they can get it to work.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roon
roon

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 14:55
Jolle wrote:

A large object could lodge in the gap between the halo and the chassis, or between the halo and the driver, obstructing the driver's exit. Seems unlikely though. There's a provision to remove the halo on track by rescue crew, if necessary, mentioned in the video posted previously.

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 19:20
jjn9128 wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 18:35

Is a windscreen more open cockpit than the halo?
Other than aesthetic considerations, the fact is that the aero screen has precedent and is very much F1. Neither the halo nor the total canopy can say that.

I would prefer the aero screen if they can get it to work.
Hopefully some very clever people are working on it still and we can see it from 2021 if not before.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

FrukostScones

What if actually some drivers eyes cant adapt to this crap. like eye stance is different on people. So imagine some narrow versus wide. Maybe some drivers lose Their ability with hindered view. No view, no confidence. 2D vs 3D when halo is hl ocking view oft one eye etc.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

roon wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 23:03
A large object could lodge in the gap between the halo and the chassis, or between the halo and the driver, obstructing the driver's exit.
I'd rather a large object get lodged in the gap than lodged in my face.

langwadt
langwadt

strad

The more I look at it and the more I see the more I think it's a knee jerk over reaction that won't help and may hurt.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss