Lotus F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
turbof1

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2013

I have a hard time to take the "0 euro's all year" statement seriously. Seems like an excageration from his part and if not an attempt to put his team in discredit. Sure, Lotus will probably be a few months behind. Still no reason to not get in the car for the remaining 3 races. Money issues can always be handled in court afterwards.
#AeroFrodo

Pup
Pup

I think the issue is probably the solvency of the team. The way they have it structured, the team is in massive debt to its owners. So if they were to decide to declare bankruptcy (which they could do anytime they want), close up shop, or even sell out, then there are limits on how much unpaid wages or bonuses have to be paid out. I don't know what those limits are in the EU, but in the US it's in the thousands. So sure, Kimi could sue, but he may well have reason to believe that there won't be anything in the bank to sue for.

Basically, the team is structured to be sold, with Lux and Lopez being the primary secured creditors. And with all the doubt surrounding the mysterious Infinity/Quantum deal, there's enough doubt in the financial future of the team that I'm not surprised if Kimi is concerned.
Last edited by Pup on 01 Nov 2013, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

As much as I like Kimi, I don't like what he's doing right now. OK, it's not good to be unpaid, but Boullier clearly said that the situation will be solved and Kimi will get his money (last year was the same situation), because he [Boullier] it is more preocupied about the bunch of people back at the factory. As in those who worked and work their ass off to get the drivers a good car to drive. A car that had enabled both Mr. RoGro and Mr. Raikkonen to prove what they can do - two years in a row. As in the people who don't get extra $$$ for pubilcity contracts and who are often just mentioned when the team wins, but blamed when the car doesn't work.

As I said before, the one who has more to be grateful for in this whole Kimi Raikkonen - Lotus marriage is Kimi. If the drove the shed Williams built last year and this year he would have been nowhere.

That is what happenes when you are too much of a friend with your employee and give him more freedom trying to be good and make him feel confortable.
Now, when it is hard, it would have been a great moment for Kimi to say a proper "thank you" and drive the team to 2nd place.
Bring on Valsecchi, what is to lose anymore? At least someone who really wants will drive the car.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZomwVcGt0LE[/youtube]
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Pup wrote:I think the issue is probably the solvency of the team. The way they have it structured, the team is in massive debt to its owners. So if they were to decide to declare bankruptcy (which they could do anytime they want), close up shop, or even sell out, then there are limits on how much unpaid wages or bonuses have to be paid out. I don't know what those limits are in the EU, but in the US it's in the thousands. So sure, Kimi could sue, but he may well have reason to believe that there won't be anything in the bank to sue for.

Basically, the team is structured to be sold, with Lux and Lopez being the primary secured creditors. And with all the doubt surrounding the mysterious Infinity/Quantum deal, there's enough doubt in the financial future of the team that I'm not surprised if Kimi is concerned.
I can't speak for the complete EU, but in belgium all the outstanding wages have to paid at bankruptcy. I do believe that is more or less in every EU country the case. Perhaps bonuses will be dropped.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

Lopez said that the largest amount of the debt is towards Genii, because the money came as a loan and he can just say it is a sponsoship and ~3/4 of the debt goes away. Slim chances for that to happen, but it is better when you have money to pay to the owner rather than a 3rd party supplier / financial institution.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Pup wrote: You have proof of that? I mean, actual proof, not hearsay.

+

I'm much more inclined to believe a direct quote from Kimi, i.e.:
i'll flip that for you, why on earth would you believe kimi? because he's kimi? that would be rediculous.
Likewise, all we got is tabloid stuff saying he didn't get paid. where's the proof there? did he show his
bank account past year to proof genii/lotus didn't pay anything?

I'm far from inclined to believe the person that just stabs a team in the back that seemingly has a beef
with his very own team over some issue, wheter that is the jump to ferrari, whether that's late payment,
whatever it may be - could be something totally different.

I am actually inclined NOT to believe somebody who can't bring the respect for his own current employer
and gives them 'sh*t', to talk in his own words.

I'm not inclined to believe all the stuff nelson piquet jr. said when he got sacked by flavioflav, but i'm neither
compelled to believe flavio either on what he accused nellie of. first of all, it works both ways. Both parties
got b*tthurt, so maybe one is speaking the truth, maybe the other is speaking the truth, maybe they're both
speaking partially the truth.

In the end, behaviour speaks for itself, and though both parties haven't show the most class to eachother,
it remains the fact kimi was the one to publically state that he left Lotus because of the money and painting
lotus as the bad guys. I dunno if these are dirty tactics for next year, but if any, i'll repeat; don't bite the hand
that feeds you.

and indeed, if it wasn't lotus, he might have planted his backside inside that godawful williams alongside pastor.
that would indirectly make pastor the one paying his paycheck.........would've been interesting outcome though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

noname
noname

Manoah2u wrote:it remains the fact kimi was the one to publically state that he left Lotus because of the money
I am not that convinced it's his salary, or bonus, Kimi is so worried. Lotus just does not look to have financial backing to be a World Championship contender, and looking at what Lopez is doing there is no plan to get there in the near future. Lopez/Genii money gave the team stability and allowed to make potential investors interested (although, for whatever reason, deal can not materialize).

One can not blame businessman for his desire to make money, and I can understand Lopez trying to cash his investment instead of pouring money into the team to make it a top team.

Kimi wants to win, he wants to be in position to fight for the ultimate prize. Lotus just is not the place to be for somebody with his ambitions. Diplomacy may not be his best skills, and I understand those being pi...ed of of what he said, but I understand why he decided to leave.

Pup
Pup

Manoah2u wrote:i'll flip that for you
Why? It's a simple question. I've noticed that you do this a lot when cornered.

I have no particular bias towards Kimi. I like him, but I couldn't make any judgement on his character. But if he says something, I have no reason not to believe him unless someone else contradicts him. The only contradiction I see is a tabloid rumor, and I'll favor a direct quote from a rumor any day, regardless who's doing the talking.

nacho
nacho

Seems like the relationship went sour after Kimi said he goes to Ferrari because of unpaid wages. I don't think Kimi would say he hasn't gotten anything if he has been paid, why would he say something that the team could deny in a second and tell how he's lieing? I don't think he is that daft as he's kept his mouth zipped before going to Ferrari.

munudeges
munudeges

nacho wrote:Seems like the relationship went sour after Kimi said he goes to Ferrari because of unpaid wages.
If you read what Lopez says the personal relationship between him and Raikkonen is still good. Business is merely business.

Kiril Varbanov

Kimi talks to Adam Cooper: I have been paid 0 euros this year!

Got ya, did I?
That's the journalistic style of grabbing attention with stupid headlines. The whole interview is here - http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/11/01/kimi ... somewhere/

He's not suggesting it straight, but again, honest as hell, from his perspective. If I'm Maldonado or Hulk, I'll think twice before signing Lotus, if the financial state is still the same.

ecapox

Who cares if he is filthy rich. Who cares if he loves his job.

I love my job, but you best believe if they never started paying me, OR if they started missing payments to me, I'd stop working until I was getting paid.

He wears those overalls and sponsors because he is a professional and gets paid to perform a task. He has stated that he has not gotten paid all year and clearly lotus has read these things. They could easily say "yes, you got paid something" or "you know how your contract is written" but instead they say nothing. And before you start up with "lotus doesn't air it's business in public" I'd say that it would be in their best interest, going forward, to prove that they aren't a brokeass deadbeat team hanging on by a thread....you know...for future sponsors and all that.

notsofast
notsofast

If Kimi can take points away from Mercedes and Ferrari this weekend, he should be in a strong bargaining position. Second or third place in the constructor's championship is probably worth more to Lotus than whatever money they owe Kimi. In a close battle, they can probably not afford to have Kimi sit out the last two races.

marcush.
marcush.

I´d love to see you all working for your employer and not receiving any payment arriving .I for once would know exaxctly what to do :
1)Write a cascade of letters demanding immediate fulfillment of contractual obligations as soon as payments are overdue.
2)stay at home until payments are done in full
3)Sue my employer for breach of contract .

Kimi does not come across as a person who is telling bs.He even seems not to have any legal advisory -otherwise he would not talk to media people about contractual things -quasi in public - which is also a breach of contract.

So simply speaking -Kimi has not received his negotiated retainer ,he had to play with the muscles last year and he seems to think it is necessary this year as well...with the added spice of already having signed for Ferrari maybe due to the non payment so far...

From lotus side it´s emabarassing to let things slide away that much from their control-THEY were in a position to solve the issues -in telling Kimi they cannot afford him - and he would have to content with a much lower immediate payment or feel free to leave ...giving Lotus the chance to engage a paydriver -whos money could be used to pay Kimis salary.

I think he would have reached an agreement quickly based on this .But it looks like their usual modus operandi is playing the time game..

If i were Hulk I would think twice before signing that contract.

anzx
anzx

Raikkonen’s car fails post-qualifying floor deflection test

imi Raikkonen’s fifth place on the starting grid is under threat after his car failed a post-qualifying floor deflection test in Abu Dhabi.

Nico Hulkenberg’s Sauber was also subject to an asymmetric LHS front floor deflection test by the FIA, but whilst the German’s car was found to conform with the regulations, Raikkonen’s was not and the matter has now been referred to the race stewards.

“Car number 07 did not comply with Article 3.17.5 of the 2013 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations as the front floor deflected more than 5mm vertically when the load was applied vertically to it at the point which lies 100mm of car centre line on the LHS,” said a technical report by the FIA’s Formula 1 technical delegate Jo Bauer.

“I am referring this matter to the stewards for their consideration.”

If Lotus cannot provide a valid reason for Raikkonen’s car failing the test, the Finn faces a grid penalty. Earlier in the season in Hungary Romain Grosjean's Lotus failed a floor test, but the Frenchman escaped penalty after the team were able to prove the failure was down to running heavily over kerbs.
Raikkonen may be penalised...