Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ispano6

Re: Red Bull RB18

Tim.Wright wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 22:29
Bandit1216 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 22:11
This baffles me. Looks like neutral ackerman, quite some camber, but huge caster. But why? I would think with ground effect cars, one would want minimum roll and pitch, but caster hints at high roll imo.
The outboard points are arbitraily placed - don't pay any attention to steering axis orientation or Ackermann.

I just wanted to show the side view inclination of the links.
Wouldn't the side view inclination be more apparent if you scaled the image width to height proportionately? The tires look like ovals and the x-axis is compressed relative to the y.

f1rules
f1rules

firstly the rb18 is a very nice agressive looking car! but the hysteria surrounding a newey car is completely insane, everything is radical... well the AT is more or less the same give or take details and offcourse suspension,

Stu

Neuron wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 22:35
It's scary me a lot. Too much different approach. One of them must be totally wrong... but which one?
Not necessarily, if the rules are a bit benign, the top of the bell-curve could be very broad and plateau-like; meaning that there are lots of ways to get a very similar performance.

On a 90sec lap, a 1% difference in performance is less than a second. If all of the teams are looking within that 1% then you get a very tight field and the best team operationally will be more likely to succeed.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

f1jcw
f1jcw

With the mirror support all one piece from side pod, is it legal, I thought they was a maximum length, without having a defined start how can you judge it’s length

AeroDynamic

a good shot for anyone who wants to illustrate with drawing, what RBR are trying to work with their floor aero
it [the slot hole in the middle of the floor] looks quite different depending on the angle

brake duct close up

reportedly, the RBR rear wing has been plagued with similar issues to last season. They had to replace the rear wing upper plane (Drs one), hence no sponsor logo was visible yesterday.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 24 Feb 2022, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

ojir19

mysterious bodywork panel (under ORA)

okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

AeroDynamic

ojir19 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 11:32

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 875435.jpg
its not my area but.. is that some sort of material they use to hide something underneath? that's the impression I get about that material being there. IT looks like its sealed over the body work more than it is 'a part' of it.

if so, what could they be hiding there?
f1rules wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 09:38
firstly the rb18 is a very nice agressive looking car! but the hysteria surrounding a newey car is completely insane, everything is radical... well the AT is more or less the same give or take details and offcourse suspension,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMWGxPLXIAg ... name=large

I agree with your point. The extended underside of the inlet does exaggerate the great undercut that the alphatauri appears to feature to the same degree.

MartijnA3
MartijnA3

I have no idea, but could that light grey area have a different texture and as such causes the air flowing over it to act differently?

Snelbaard

Can't it just be some kind of fibre composit material (perhaps akin to forged carbon) that would be easier and quicker for them to make prototype panels out of?

Giando

ojir19 wrote:

At 3:58 Fabiano Vandone suggests it could be a 'textile/fabric' type of material, allowing some air to pass through...

It seems incredibly bizarre to me but ehi! you never know.

What do you think?

AeroDynamic

close up detail of the RBR wing mirror; it is intricate looking

Floor detail ahead of Rear wheels

Another angle of That intricate concept of the vortices from the not-a-bargeboard to the floor slot hole

louvres close up detail

#AMuS
Stefan Baldauf
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 24 Feb 2022, 12:19, edited 3 times in total.

organic

AeroDynamic wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 12:09
close up detail of the RBR wing mirror; it is intricate looking
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMWoctHXoAA ... name=large
The exposed metal of mirror is new today. Yesterday it was all CF I believe
Last edited by organic on 24 Feb 2022, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

Does the hole/slot in the floor under the inlet feed more air into the underfloor? Or is this cooling elsewhere..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

ojir19

Giando wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 11:40
ojir19 wrote:

At 3:58 Fabiano Vandone suggests it could be a 'textile/fabric' type of material, allowing some air to pass through...

It seems incredibly bizarre to me but ehi! you never know.

What do you think?
Wooww ...remind me of Aston Martin Valkyrie air filter

On this video, ~ at 19:00, He said that it is kind of Hydrophobic film that let air goes into the engine, but repels waters ....and it looks solid

perhaps RBR engineers take this material to the next level (?)

Last edited by ojir19 on 24 Feb 2022, 12:49, edited 2 times in total.
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

basti313
basti313

Snelbaard wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 11:38
Can't it just be some kind of fibre composit material (perhaps akin to forged carbon) that would be easier and quicker for them to make prototype panels out of?
I do not find pictures right from the start of the test. But maybe this already happend at the shakedown:
To me it looks like this is simply fiber glass repair material. Looking at the crack on the left side, it may be that the area was bending inwards, thus cracking the panel on the mounts near the "L".

To me it looks like they simply put the fiber glass at this spot to avoid any further bending/cracking.,

Even if it would be some special material...nothing speaks against painting it black or getting it black.
Don`t russel the hamster!