2026 F1 Cars - General Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jjn9128

Re: 2026 F1 Cars - General Thread

wuzak wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 11:31
mzso wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 17:25
The halo was a Ferrari development.
Wasn't it first proposed by Mercedes?
IIRC yes it was a Merc proposal. The "shield" was Ferrari's offering. A plexiglass screen with really tight compound curvature and no reinforcement which distorted the visibility, wobbled about, and made the driver feel nauseous.

Ferrari were the first team to trial a mock halo for forward visibility testing, either Barca GP or pre-season testing. Can't recall which.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Vanja #66

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 13:13
Ferrari were the first team to trial a mock halo for forward visibility testing, either Barca GP or pre-season testing. Can't recall which.
Silverstone FP1, 2017 :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

jjn9128

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 14:17
jjn9128 wrote:
Silverstone FP1, 2017 :mrgreen:
Nope winter testing 2016 :P
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -barcelona
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Vanja #66

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 15:31
Nope winter testing 2016 :P
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -barcelona
Ah, mock halo.... :lol: I should start reading and stop looking at provocative photos :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mzso
mzso

wuzak wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 11:31
mzso wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 17:25
FW17 wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 05:09
Halo was designed by and paid for by FIA. Built on a patent of someone, whom they did not acknowledge.

Aeroscreen was done by Red Bull, it was done for one purpose of stopping a tyre hitting a driver. It was also supposedly designed to fit exiting cockpit bulkhead on its sides.

FIA pushed ahead with the Halo, which was designed for much higher loads of a car landing on it, required a heavier cockpit bulkhead to accommodate the center support.

By 2016 it was already late, may years had passed since Massa's accident and under pressure for a fix. With the Re d Bull solution, it would have taken some more years to test it completely, find solutions with the teams for ventilation and issues with cleaning the screen.
The halo was a Ferrari development.
Wasn't it first proposed by Mercedes?
All I remember is the Ferrari having it and testing it when the FIA asked for solutions. And after year or Todt decided to push it, despite the unpopularity.
jjn9128 wrote:
IIRC yes it was a Merc proposal. The "shield" was Ferrari's offering. A plexiglass screen with really tight compound curvature and no reinforcement which distorted the visibility, wobbled about, and made the driver feel nauseous.
I don't remember mercedes at all, but I probably wouldn't if they only talked about it. The way I remember it Ferrari quickly cam up with the halo, then since everyone thought it was ugly they tried the windshield as well.

And sure it looked rather flimsy, thin. But Vettel was not the right driver anyway, to whiny. Räikkönen might have not said anything.

mzso
mzso

If it was like this is in 2016 april, I can't understand why it's not the aeroscreen they picked:

It would be sure to decrease drag for 2026.
Last edited by mzso on 28 Dec 2023, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.

hollus

mzso, please find the right thread for that.
Rivals, not enemies.

billamend
billamend

mzso wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 16:24
If it was like this is in 2016 april, I can't understand why it's not the aeroscreen they picked:

It would be sure to decrease drag for 2026.
Multiple people already told why.

mzso
mzso

hollus wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 16:52
mzso, please find the right thread for that.
All right, I just thought it was relevant, since they want to decrease drag for 2026.

The other obvious thing to do to decrease drag is cover up the wheels, which would be simple. But if this won't happen that certainly won't.
But I guess they're immune to simplicity (and reason) and are toying with the idea with dynamic DRS. Which honestly I don't know how it will turn out other than it will be complicated. Though I have some expectation that it won't turn out too well to allow good racing. And with the ever changing aero configuration, perhaps safety issues. With drivers expecting different traction and behavior from the cars than they actually have at that given moment.

wuzak
wuzak

mzso wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 12:03
The other obvious thing to do to decrease drag is cover up the wheels, which would be simple. But if this won't happen that certainly won't.
It is unlikely that an open wheel formula would adopt wheel covers/fairings.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

wuzak wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 18:33
mzso wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 12:03
It is unlikely that an open wheel formula would adopt wheel covers/fairings.
'open-wheel' or 'closed-wheel' aero could be obtained according to the dispositions of the front wing elements etc
as I suggested before
like an endurance car in the parts of the lap where this is beneficial - and like an 'open-wheeler' where it's not

even 60 years ago airliners had 4 moving wing-elements & 1 'fixed' (with variable AoA)
but F1 cars behave rather like the planes of 120 years ago
yes the whole design would need to change
no that won't happen

instead they'll have us imagining aero efficiencies big enough to close the rules-gap (shortfall of regeneration)
but the result (the above not happening) will be lapping seconds slower - this helping regeneration and efficiency
no surprise - increased lap 'energy efficiency' from a design for lapping slower

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Aren’t we overthinking it all?

The new engine will have an electric motor and battery like the mainstream sales models of the manufacturers will having going to 2030. And it will make noise like a proper racing car, rev up and low with acceleration and braking, maybe pop a bang here and there.

Same for the active aero. The most simple implementation would be to extend the DRS zone, up to the start of the straight and allow free use, not limited to be someone in front.

Now we only need to look into the need for a new overtaking aid.

mzso
mzso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 18:56
'open-wheel' or 'closed-wheel' aero could be obtained according to the dispositions of the front wing elements etc
as I suggested before
like an endurance car in the parts of the lap where this is beneficial - and like an 'open-wheeler' where it's not
I don't what you mean, but the premise sounds impossible.
NL_Fer wrote:
30 Dec 2023, 02:31
Aren’t we overthinking it all?
I don't think so. There are many unaddressed issues.
NL_Fer wrote:
And it will make noise like a proper racing car, rev up and low with acceleration and braking, maybe pop a bang here and there.
I'm quite sure it won't be like this. Revs will need to be kept unusually high for braking and turning to generate more power for acceleration. I doubt it will be popular. So acceleration will probably start with already high revs on most slower turns. Or maybe low revs, but high power? Which might be even weirder.
NL_Fer wrote:
Same for the active aero. The most simple implementation would be to extend the DRS zone, up to the start of the straight and allow free use, not limited to be someone in front.
That renders manual activation meaningless. It's better to just automatize.
Manual activation would only remain meaningful if it's allowed everywhere, without activation points. Though I guess the teams could easily figure out a solution to automatize this as well.

wuzak
wuzak

NL_Fer wrote:
The new engine will have an electric motor and battery like the mainstream sales models of the manufacturers will having going to 2030.
Mainstream cars that spend very little time at or near full power or full throttle, compared to an F1 car that spends very little time stopping and starting.

NL_Fer wrote:
And it will make noise like a proper racing car, rev up and low with acceleration and braking, maybe pop a bang here and there.
I wonder about that.

The 2026 ICE will have ~80-100hp less than the F2 ICE. And use less fuel and more air, so is likely to be not as loud.

As for pops and bangs, the F1 ICE are direct injection, so is unlikely to pop and bang unless specifically programmed to do so (like the AMG A45).

Possibly they could have an attempt at anti-lag that would produce the sound, but my thought is the ERS will be used to compensate for lag.

NL_Fer wrote:

The active aero will probably be used more than on just straights. There are quite a few high speed corners where the full downforce is not required, but do need the front to rear aero balance that using DRS does not have.

In fact, the cars may need to be in low drag configuration for significant portions of the lap.

FW17

While some form of DRS is being talked about for the front (not sure) and rear wings, is there anything for the floor?

Can the current tunnels have/work something like a double deck diffuser that could could be used for corners but closed for the straights?