2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 14:38
f1jcw wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 14:03
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 13:16
Problem also is, it’s easy for Lewis to say to his team, copy Max’s car and it’ll make me fast. It does t work like that, You need to know how the other team made that car fast and how it works in harmony.

A driver should have trust in his engineers and aero department to give him the fastest car they can possibly make.
But you are just using your own thoughts on Merc/Lewis and projecting them into this post.
You have no idea what Lewis said to his team, you have no idea what level of engineering Lewis has, you are just speculating to post something negative.
Didn’t Lewis publicly mention in interviews to copy the red bull?

You only have to have a quick search for that and you will see countless news articles for Hamilton urging Mercedes to copy RB design.
Not entirely sure which part you see as negative in that, but your welcome to your own opinion, just like I am/have.
I'm sure he is a bit more nuanced then to just go "copy redbull", I am absolutely sure he knows more about F1 car engineering then either of us, to just say that was his command and that he doesn't know how it works after being in f1 and racing for decades is a laughable.

More info slowly trickling thru. Apparently, this was always the path after contract talks broke down. Wolff thought the 1+1 was safe, instead it was a ruse by HAM - as the significant salary he will be paid this yr would not have been avail given a 1-yr only contract. So, he took the 1+1 and exercised his option at the earliest convenience.

My admiration keeps growing for the guy. The student appears to have schooled what should be the hardened businessman. All’s fair in love & business.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

SiLo

Now we just wait and see if Lewis makes a second inspired team move like the last one.
Felipe Baby!

chrisc90

f1jcw wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 15:46
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 14:38
f1jcw wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 14:03

But you are just using your own thoughts on Merc/Lewis and projecting them into this post.
You have no idea what Lewis said to his team, you have no idea what level of engineering Lewis has, you are just speculating to post something negative.
Didn’t Lewis publicly mention in interviews to copy the red bull?

You only have to have a quick search for that and you will see countless news articles for Hamilton urging Mercedes to copy RB design.
Not entirely sure which part you see as negative in that, but your welcome to your own opinion, just like I am/have.
I'm sure he is a bit more nuanced then to just go "copy redbull", I am absolutely sure he knows more about F1 car engineering then either of us, to just say that was his command and that he doesn't know how it works after being in f1 and racing for decades is a laughable.
I mean there has also been a lot of reporters other teams etc, that say it’s not as simple as copy and paste of a competitors design.

It wasn’t in any way meant negative about knowing what works. As we all know, it’s not a straight cut case of simply copying. Pink Mercedes for example.

If you copy a design, your immediately 6-12months behind the guy you copied

f1jcw
f1jcw

Surly Lewis understands that

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

Henri
Henri

Hope Lewis has a nice season with merc this up coming season

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Couple of questions.
Toto wrote: When we signed the contract with Lewis, we opted for shorter term...
Who is we? We as in Mercedes or we as "Toto and Lewis" ?

Also, he said
Toto wrote: We got together for a coffee in my place in Oxford, and ?him? returning, basically returning to the factory, and he said to me that he has decided to race for Ferrari in 2025
When did that take place, what do you reckon? He says "returning to the factory", so after the end of the 2023 season but at least a month ago?? When did Mercedes return to work after the vacation of winter break?

organic

Bill_Kar wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 17:22
Couple of questions.
Toto wrote: When we signed the contract with Lewis, we opted for shorter term...

Also, he said
Toto wrote: We got together for a coffee in my place in Oxford, and ?him? returning, basically returning to the factory, and he said to me that he has decided to race for Ferrari in 2025
When did that take place, what do you reckon? He says "returning to the factory", so after the end of the 2023 season but at least a month ago?? When did Mercedes return to work after the vacation of winter break?
The return to the factory in this instance is referring to Lewis' seat-fit. This is when Lewis has to come to the factory in pre-season so it's usually the first time Toto sees Lewis. Believe it's a usual annual thing for them to meet using this opportunity. The meeting where toto found out took place at Toto's house on 31st Jan - same date as seat fit. So the team knew the day before the news broke

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

organic wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 17:26
Bill_Kar wrote:
Couple of questions.

Also, he said
The return to the factory in this instance is referring to Lewis' seat-fit. This is when Lewis has to come to the factory in pre-season so it's usually the first time Toto sees Lewis. Believe it's a usual annual thing for them to meet using this opportunity. The meeting where toto found out took place at Toto's house on 31st Jan - same date as seat fit. So the team knew the day before the news broke
Ahh, OK, I see.

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

organic wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 17:26
Bill_Kar wrote:
Couple of questions.

Also, he said
Which wouldn't require a change of Totos travel plans :lol:

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

So it's kind of a Alonso-Alpine situation... really stupid from Merc imo.
They're in big trouble. I wouldn't want to lose Lewis, and the engineer with him, and being led by... Russell.

It's even worse if they can't bring Alonso

BMMR61

Juzh wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 15:18
Any driver other than Verstappen will be a downgrade, so no matter what move they do they'll still be worse off. Its out of mercs hands now. On the other hand it'll stregthen ferrari imensly. I believe its gg for mercedes in the near-medium term.
You can't say with any certainty it will "strengthen Ferrari immensely". On paper it is now arguably the strongest driver lineup in F1. But the team dynamic and what car Ferrari build for 2025 are other factors which play just as big a part. Leclerc is an immensely fast driver, Lewis is a better overall race driver, how they gel as a team or not, will determine the trajectory. There's every chance this will be destabilising for a period, and if there isn't a car dynamic that Lewis likes this could end up very bitter in about three years, with nothing to show for the intervening period.

organic

BMMR61 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 19:02
Juzh wrote:
Any driver other than Verstappen will be a downgrade, so no matter what move they do they'll still be worse off. Its out of mercs hands now. On the other hand it'll stregthen ferrari imensly. I believe its gg for mercedes in the near-medium term.
You can't say with any certainty it will "strengthen Ferrari immensely". On paper it is now arguably the strongest driver lineup in F1. But the team dynamic and what car Ferrari build for 2025 are other factors which play just as big a part. Leclerc is an immensely fast driver, Lewis is a better overall race driver, how they gel as a team or not, will determine the trajectory. There's every chance this will be destabilising for a period, and if there isn't a car dynamic that Lewis likes this could end up very bitter in about three years, with nothing to show for the intervening period.
Engineers will be more likely to move there. It motivates the Ferrari engineers. It improves the atmosphere and galvanizes the team as they have a big goal to aim for. It increases ferrari'a political will yet further - they can utilize British media perhaps. Maybe it can entice the likes of Newey for one 'last dance'

It's sport and like any sport it's down to the people. These things such as atmosphere, motivation, happiness it all counts for more

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

organic wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 19:06
BMMR61 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 19:02
Juzh wrote:
Engineers will be more likely to move there. It motivates the Ferrari engineers. It improves the atmosphere and galvanizes the team as they have a big goal to aim for. It increases ferrari'a political will yet further - they can utilize British media perhaps. Maybe it can entice the likes of Newey for one 'last dance'

It's sport and like any sport it's down to the people. These things such as atmosphere, motivation, happiness it all counts for more
Of course
And even if the Merc team fell in love with George, Lewis was bringing the big points and he's the guy who competed with Max even when things looks desparate (Brazil 2021...). The team is on a downward trajectory since 2021 and I don't think losing the most successful driver in F1 and the guy who arguably carried the team is a good thing.