2024 Chinese GP

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2024 Chinese GP

TFSA wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 18:32
dialtone wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 08:17
Well, I appreciate the honesty, stewards will choose what they want. Ultimately Carlos finished the race where he should have, and got lucky to escape a penalty.
Finally got a chance to see a proper camera angle. I retract my previous comments - you're absolutely right that this was on Alonso.
Yeah it was :).

This is not just missing the apex a bit, without Sainz, Alonso was going straight for the grass.

organic

Yes he used Sainz to turn. But I still believe 3 penalty points is harsh for that. Penalties like this will discourage racing

Sieper

It is more than last years. Quite a lot. I am on the fence, I like to see people try.

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:Yes he used Sainz to turn. But I still believe 3 penalty points is harsh for that. Penalties like this will discourage racing
I still don’t think this is racing. What Sainz did to pass Alonso was beautiful and clean, clearly didn’t need to bump into alonso to turn and had a wheel to wheel moment. Is it so much to ask to not divebomb from 2 cars behind on the inside of a 100 deg corner? Especially from someone as experienced as him.

Vanja #66

chrisc90 wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 18:22
Im sure some teams/drivers could use that to their advantage now. I mean technically, you could go out first, set a blinder of a lap, sticking it on pole, then go out for one last run before anyone else, and then just cut the PU in the car and coast to a stop.
That's not the original intent of the rule. It was made a long time ago, when hybrids weren't on the horizon and cars needed a help from marshals to re-start after engine gets turned off and this wasn't considered OK by anyone. With MGU, hybrids can restart on their own, no need for marshals to touch the car which is why the rule isn't applied at all lately.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Chuckjr wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 09:14
Anyone who thinks Ferrari is within a second of Red Bull is smoking crack. I keep seeing people posting the Ferrari is within .3 or so of the Red Bull. :wtf: :wtf: Ok. Keep telling yourself that.

Ferrari had a hard time passing Fred with DRS. There’s reality for you.

Like I wrote weeks ago, it will be 2026 before any other team is a championship contender. Max will be a 5x champ by then.

CS is a dam fool if he does not take the Red Bull seat should it be offered. He may not win any championships, but he will win races. There’s a lot to be said for that. Having a trophy case with a good grab of wins is a lot better than a trophy case full of what could have been…at some point these guys need to be practical about their career. Just my 2 cents.
Lando Norris was offered the seat and he turned it down. I kinda understand loyalty but Zak also brought another #1 in beside him. I won't go as far as saying Lando is a fool but man.. He could be winning races.

Chuckjr

If Red Bull offer the seat, he should take it. I don’t see Audi making any grand leaps to championship dreams anytime soon. Take the bird in hand over 2 in the bush. It would be awesome to see him against Max. Get a better idea of Max’s speed.
Watching F1 since 1986.

organic

Russell proved the soft can be an option tomorrow

CHT
CHT

Chuckjr wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 23:16
If Red Bull offer the seat, he should take it. I don’t see Audi making any grand leaps to championship dreams anytime soon. Take the bird in hand over 2 in the bush. It would be awesome to see him against Max. Get a better idea of Max’s speed.
F1 is a very important marketing tool for Redbull and if you look at their driver pairing in the past, I believe they never have 2 European drivers in the team at the same time, and this was done to promote brand exposure outside Europe market. So its very unlikely that RB was serious about offering Sainz a seat and Marko was perhaps just saying what he said to tease the media.

For RB, they know very well Max is special and he is still very young and highly sort after. For this reason, Redbull will want to milk his talents to the their advantage for as long as its possible, which is why they have signed a contract with him till 2028.

For RB, they are likely to be looking for a reliable and talented driver who are happy to be able to rise to the occasion whenever Max failed and to be a consistent P2 finisher.

venkyhere
venkyhere

search wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 14:39
the official tire list is out as well now:

https://i.imgur.com/APMzKkF.png

expected strategies, according to f1.com

https://media.formula1.com/image/upload ... Strategies
Interesting.
It's the situation in Suzuka flipped 180 degrees.
Mercedes and McLaren have 1 set of H while RedBull and Ferrari have 2.
LeClerc is sitting pretty with two new H and two new M - most flexible
Alonso is the only guy with a fresh set of all three compounds. He would be starting on S and will look to get through his first stint hanging onto the DRS of RedBull OR perhaps shoot for the lead since Aston Martin have setup for good straightline speed (as we saw in the sprint) in this race.

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Pirelli increased min tire pressures by 1 psi.
A lion must kill its prey.

venkyhere
venkyhere

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 06:58
why ? is the track temp 10+ degrees higher than yesterday ?

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

venkyhere wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 07:04
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 06:58
why ? is the track temp 10+ degrees higher than yesterday ?
It was changed based on inspection of the used tires from the sprint race.
A lion must kill its prey.