Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
madly
madly

Re: Renault R30

What about new floor? Does anybody see any difference?

christopher.mahlon
christopher.mahlon

I wasn't able to see a difference, maybe this would be a good moment for BAR to do a comparison for us? Or just a more observant forum member to splice two images together for us.

Blackout

There is no difference except that kind of bulge in the floor just under the exhaust...
The Mclaren and Toyota had the same thing last year... it's a camera ? a sensor ? or a hole in the floor ?

Blackout

Found a photo :

For the Toyota, that was a camera. But here..?

Giblet
Giblet

IR temp sensors, since they point right at the tire?

Minimal aero impact, and removable for races.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

madly
madly

From confidential-renault.fr
"[..] 40% of parts installed on the Renault F1 R30 will be new to this first meeting of the season, we announced our contact. Changes that will affect almost all of the car, including a new front wing as well as significant alterations on the side of the flat-bottomed pontoons and broadcaster."

mith

It's the second time I'm hearing about major update before Bahrain. First comment was just after car's presentation. I remember it was about changing floor, sidepods, etc... Floor was actually changed since after.

madly
madly

I'm not sure if R30 floor has changed in Jarez. Korzeniow said that, but I don't see any changes on the photos, nor any other info about floor upgrade except this forum.

Lurk

Giblet wrote:I just noticed the small windscreen on the car.

I have not seen (noticed anyways) a windscreen for years.
http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?ima ... _582lo.jpg

MP4/25 has the same. Not sure but I think windscreens are set by the rules

For the R30 side bump, I don't think it's related to the missed crash-test. RF1 are used to miss their first crash test and the crashbox is located before driver feet..

korzeniow
korzeniow

New barge boards, moved to front.

It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

korzeniow
korzeniow

madly wrote:I'm not sure if R30 floor has changed in Jarez. Korzeniow said that, but I don't see any changes on the photos, nor any other info about floor upgrade except this forum.
I'm sorry then, I didn't knew that it was just sensor. I thought it was hole.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

spaman

Has the car a new engine cover? I think the back end looks much tighter on this picture.

Nose looks different either - or is it just the angle of the picture?

raceman

spaman wrote:Has the car a new engine cover? I think the back end looks much tighter on this picture.

Nose looks different either - or is it just the angle of the picture?
man, can't draw any conclusion from this picture; the engine cover is hardly seen complete!!!

outer_bongolia

korzeniow wrote:New barge boards, moved to front.

Is it just me? Isn't the driver sitting so high that nearly half the helmet is above the back support and most probably messing up the whole airflow? It looks like he should be at least 5cm lower.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

christopher.mahlon
christopher.mahlon

Petrov just probably wanted to actually see things. Have you noticed how crap the visibility out of these cars is nowadays? I wonder if it contributes to some of the blundering into each other that we see; the drivers simply can't see each other or much of the track anymore.