COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

donskar
donskar

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

I can not find a map that shows the track's location relative to other points (Austin airport, for example). Can someone help?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

alelanza
alelanza

I like that website, if they can put together the race i may not have to go all the way to Canada in '12. If i can then back to back it with a sprint cup race i'll be one happy man.
Alejandro L.

volarchico
volarchico

Re: Austin GP Site Revealed.

outer_bongolia wrote:Here's an article from today's Austin American Statesman:
Future F1 Site Revealed

Here's an exact location on the map.
Map

It is very close to two major highways and the airport and not too far from the downtown. Perfect location I would say..
Here's your answer...from a few pages back in this very thread!

CyleB

does anyone know where to find pictures of the ongoing development?
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

FW17

^^

Facebook: Friends of Formula 1 Austin Texas

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Latest bit of news:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2580 ... f1-budget/

I totally agree with a venture like this loosing public funding, especially ina recession. Public funding is fine if it is something everyone can and will use but if it isn't it's a joke.

More locally to the UK, it is like the tax payer paying for the upcoming royal wedding. Why? I couldn't give a stuff about some blue blood getting married.

It'll be the same with teh Austin track. People who don't care about and have no interest in F1 or motorsport will be none too happy at their tax money going to this. Much better for the 25 million to go to education, medecine or public infrastructure.

WhiteBlue

This is really bad news. The major event fund was installed exactly for purposes like this and they use it regularly for big sport events like football, basketball and baseball. It is a business subsidy which is supposed to be payed back by the economic impact in taxes. The Circuit of the Americas is a worthy business for this kind of start up help. If the venture fails due to loosing the help from the fund the Texan tax payers will regret it in the long run. One cannot and should not compare this with social costs. They will not pay back the investment by increased taxes. It is comparing apples and bananas. The Texas senator who kicked this off is simply an asshole. If it was his favorite foorball team there would not be a debate at all.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pup
Pup

Political grandstanding. The net economic gain to the state from the track should far outweigh a paltry $25 million. I'd be willing to bet that the funding gets quietly added back in some sub-committee.

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:Political grandstanding. The net economic gain to the state from the track should far outweigh a paltry $25 million. I'd be willing to bet that the funding gets quietly added back in some sub-committee.
Nice to see the Pup agree with me on something.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

F1 like other sports survives for entertainment purposes. If the fan base cannot support the cost of building and running an event then why should the taxpayer foot the bill? Is Red McCombs in this for entertainment or to make money? If money is that important then Full Throttle Productions can foot the bill. I don't think $25m will stop Red from pursuing this dream.

WhiteBlue

Gatecrasher wrote:F1 like other sports survives for entertainment purposes. If the fan base cannot support the cost of building and running an event then why should the taxpayer foot the bill? Is Red McCombs in this for entertainment or to make money? If money is that important then Full Throttle Productions can foot the bill. I don't think $25m will stop Red from pursuing this dream.
We are talking 25m annually for ten years, so it is more like $250m. The tax payer is simply supposed to invest to get a major event by passing all taxes to the investors. It is a very common strategy for other desirable start ups. Nothing wrong with it.

andrew
andrew

I doubt it is all that bad. I'm sure some rich Texan(s) will be happy to plough some cash into a venture like this and get a bit of trackside advertising for their company (if they have one) or get a corner or a grandstand named after them.

However it is correct that public money is not used for events like this (I wish that the UK Government would take this view with the royal wedding and the Olypimics). It's fine if a taxpayer is going to go to the race or watch it or is a fan of F1, but if they couldn't care less about it then why should their tax money be spent on this?

bot6
bot6

But is this one really desirable? When F1 has no fan base in the U.S. and this track has no historic relevance? At least the Indy venue meant something. Talladega would have had a fun twist to it. There's Sebring... But Austin?

Paul

Well, it is the same kind of investment as paying teachers or building roads, no charity involved. If money is well managed, local public will gain more than they have spent, or vice versa.

andrew
andrew

bot6 wrote:But is this one really desirable? When F1 has no fan base in the U.S. and this track has no historic relevance? At least the Indy venue meant something. Talladega would have had a fun twist to it. There's Sebring... But Austin?
Agreed. There is a lot of risk with this. I read this comment on another site:
....Here in the states if the stands are not full they will avoid aiming the cam that direction. Kinda farcical.
And I replied and got this back:
lol its true Andrew. A perfect example of them doing that has been in Fontana Calif NASCAR races. The stands have been so empty that they took one of the races off the schedule. But during the race, they never showed how many people were missing from the stands. Shut down due to no ticket sales, but when you see the race.. wow only full stands.
I don't know how accurate this is, but as no one has challenged it I'm sure it is accurate. It got me wondering about what will happen if the race at Austin is undersold. Cut price tickets?