2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Hammerfist wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:18
Cs98 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:56
mkay wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:45

The mediums easily did 25 laps. There's no reason to think that the softs can't do half that on low fuel.
Being able to do it doesn't mean it's faster. But the main reason you wouldn't do it is because he's sitting right behind George on new mediums. So is he going to use the best of the soft tyre to attack his teammate who is also attacking cars ahead? It doesn't make sense. You put the faster less durable tyre on the lead car so that they can make moves quickly, and then the driver on the more durable tyre comes along a few laps later and picks off the same cars again.
I think you are way off man. In miami 22 merc put russell on softer and newer tire than Hamilton after a safety car after george requested it. There is no good reason they couldn’t have accommodated lewis’s request today.
What are you talking about? In Miami 2022 George had to make his mandatory pit stop after doing a long first stint on hards and Lewis stayed out because he had already pitted for hards starting on the medium. The SC just happened to occur at the right moment for George that day. You'd be hard pressed to find a less relevant example. Today you had two cars pitting at the same time for new tyres in a sprint to the finish, you wouldn't put the faster (but less durable) tyre on the car that is sitting behind, it makes zero sense.

Matt2725
Matt2725

Mosin123 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:26
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:11
I think even if Lewis got his soft tyre, it wouldnt have changed position in the final result. If you want to battle for the win, you must first qualify higher up.
i think, with Pirellis expected wear on each tyre, softs lasting 17 - 23 laps, being on teh sofgts for teh last 15 laps would have gave Merc a race win, seeing as GR cant keep his car on track.
Lewis had a few excursions off the track himself during the race, if we're going to start down that route.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Cs98 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:24
Mosin123 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:09
Cs98 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:58

4-5 laps being the faster tyre, yes. I'm sure he would've had decent pace later too, but not as good as a fresh medium or hard.
But those in front was on old mediums, not new. old mediums that had been sliding around all over the shop..... they was worn, highly worn, you could tell, because LH was catching them with the hard tyre, and GR caught them extremly easy on his mediums. Softs would have been the tyre if that was Redbull, ill be shocked if Horner doesnt mention it some time, just for a dig at Toto.
George was in front of him on new mediums! How is this so hard to grasp? New softs behind new mediums makes no sense, you'd waste the best part of the tyre chasing your own teammate and then by the time you are supposed to overtake the McLarens you've already used up the best performance. Now if you only view it from the perspective of Hamilton (which I know most in this thread always do), then maybe you'd want the softs just to have a better chance of getting a shot of passing George in those first laps. But from a team perspective it doesn't make sense to adopt such a strategy since they don't care about the order between teammates, and wouldn't want them losing time fighting each other anyways.

All these issues for Lewis can be explained by one thing, track position due to poor quali.
Was, wasnt a head for long though was he.

your entilted to your opinion, thats fine. here is mine - and that is that the softs should have been on to go for the race win. you say life 4 - 5 laps, Pirelli says 17 - 23.......... Ill go with what Pirelli says, these are the ones who inspect the tyres after each session, have data, made the tyre. what they say holds way more weight.

Mercades was just protecting its new team leader. They made it obvious.

Cs98
Cs98

Mosin123 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:35
Cs98 wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:

But those in front was on old mediums, not new. old mediums that had been sliding around all over the shop..... they was worn, highly worn, you could tell, because LH was catching them with the hard tyre, and GR caught them extremly easy on his mediums. Softs would have been the tyre if that was Redbull, ill be shocked if Horner doesnt mention it some time, just for a dig at Toto.
George was in front of him on new mediums! How is this so hard to grasp? New softs behind new mediums makes no sense, you'd waste the best part of the tyre chasing your own teammate and then by the time you are supposed to overtake the McLarens you've already used up the best performance. Now if you only view it from the perspective of Hamilton (which I know most in this thread always do), then maybe you'd want the softs just to have a better chance of getting a shot of passing George in those first laps. But from a team perspective it doesn't make sense to adopt such a strategy since they don't care about the order between teammates, and wouldn't want them losing time fighting each other anyways.

All these issues for Lewis can be explained by one thing, track position due to poor quali.

your entilted to your opinion, thats fine. here is mine - and that is that the softs should have been on to go for the race win. you say life 4 - 5 laps, Pirelli says 17 - 23.......... Ill go with what Pirelli says, these are the ones who inspect the tyres after each session, have data, made the tyre. what they say holds way more weight.

That must be a reference to Lewis, he was ahead for two laps was he?

And no, I didn't say 4-5 lap tyre life, I said they would be faster for 4-5 laps.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Matt2725 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:30
Mosin123 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:26
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:11
I think even if Lewis got his soft tyre, it wouldnt have changed position in the final result. If you want to battle for the win, you must first qualify higher up.
i think, with Pirellis expected wear on each tyre, softs lasting 17 - 23 laps, being on teh sofgts for teh last 15 laps would have gave Merc a race win, seeing as GR cant keep his car on track.
Lewis had a few excursions off the track himself during the race, if we're going to start down that route.
i never said he didnt. every body went off track.No all as costly as GR though.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Cs98 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:39
Mosin123 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:35
Cs98 wrote:

That must be a reference to Lewis, he was ahead for two laps was he?

And no, I didn't say 4-5 lap tyre life, I said they would be faster for 4-5 laps.
For GR yeah, But every body else wasnt on " new mediums " WAS they? No, they was not, they was on highly worn mediums already...... they wouldnt have stood a chance, just like they didnt GR's fresh mediums.

Aesop
Aesop

If softs were the better tyre, they would have put Russel in softs wouldn't they?

Cs98
Cs98

Aesop wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:54
If softs were the better tyre, they would have put Russel in softs wouldn't they?
Yes they would. The soft was not a good tyre here, there's a reason no one planned to use it.

Shrieker

Russell made a mistake on the same corner here last year, and retired. Not very good.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Aesop wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:54
Used S vs New M, I think it’s clear what you do.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

organic

Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:59
Russell made a mistake on the same corner here last year, and retired. Not very good.
Both drivers made a lot of unforced errors actually. Lewis' weren't broadcast

Suggests the car wasn't the easiest setup to drive (despite how quick it was)
Last edited by organic on 10 Jun 2024, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Russell could have won here. His first mistake in the final chicane cost him the position to the eventual race winner. His second mistake in T8 cost him the position to Lando Norris, the eventual runner up.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 00:01
Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 23:59
Both drivers made a lot of unforced errors actually

Suggests the car wasn't the easiest setup to drive (despite how quick it was)
All drivers had their moments. There's hardly any "easy" car to drive. It doesn't excuse them.

SKYnRacing24

I just realised . All this talk about the cockpit being moved back 10cm hasn't done shite for Lewis being comfortable with the rear. Its obvious he has low confidence with the feedback this car is giving him.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

ringo

Cs98 wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:58

4-5 laps being the faster tyre, yes. I'm sure he would've had decent pace later too, but not as good as a fresh medium or hard.

Simple solution: lewis on softs russel step aside to lewis ago at the mclarens.
For Sure!!