McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

You can see flex across the entire wing using that slider, just look at the cascade wing. In my opinion this is just the inevitable flex you get on a front wing from the massive loads it's taking.
Last edited by Giblet on 29 Jun 2011, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Applying the Red Bull methodology, the wing has been tested by the FIA and has passed the test. If it still flexes to McLaren's advantage then so be it.
Last edited by Giblet on 29 Jun 2011, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

The wing mounts to the pylon at 90 deg angle. They use studs or bolts to attach the two parts. The studs have to be stretching to get this effect in a normal installation or only one bolt per side at the front in a bending situation. The metal spacer is used to set the wing height normally.

Brian

Isak
Isak

Last edited by Giblet on 29 Jun 2011, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed bickering. PLease use the report function, and refrain from arguing with users in the forum.

muelte
muelte

Diesel wrote:You can see flex across the entire wing using that slider, just look at the cascade wing. In my opinion this is just the inevitable flex you get on a front wing from the massive loads it's taking.

Nothing, sinister going on here I'm afriad, better luck next time.
There are 2 separate things from those images/video. One thing is very clear, and is the main pane of the wing separating from the pillons at high speed, lowering its incidence angle. That's clearly a fact from the images.

Now, what you are calling flex looking at the cascades has little to do with that. Of course there must be a little of flex, and also the cascades will move a tiny bit due to the main plane angle change, but those images can make flex look much much worse than it really is.

The reason is that those little cams are very prone to what is called "wobbling" or "jelly/gelatin effect" due to small size and not great quality sensors, and sometimes you can clearly see that everything is shaking like in an earthquake.

Here you can see a very extreme but illustrative example of what I mean:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qC0_nIU ... r_embedded[/youtube]

That's why some cams are not good at all for detecting flex, as the image itself gets distorted by the cam.

Every GP I notice a lot of that effect and I wonder if somebody will think that is real movement & flexing.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

EDIT: I still want a source, this was not bickering.

Can someone provide a source showing the McLaren front wing only has a single mounting point on each support pillar?
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 29 Jun 2011, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.

aral
aral

Is it too much to expect posters to be civil?\
Last edited by Giblet on 29 Jun 2011, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No, but fighting in the car threads is not civil. Refrain and report.

Jeffsvilleusa

I'm waiting to hear what the other teams have to say about it.
Box! Box!

scarbs
scarbs

Adam Coopers twitter (@adamcooperf1) said

"one rival technical director told me today 'Charlie won't like it..."

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

How could the FIA possibly justify any kind of action against McLaren when the Red Bull wing has been cleared. If it fails the load tests that is a different story, but as far as we know it passes the test, so it's legal.

They disregarded photographic evidence when it came to the Red Bull wing, so they can only do the same.

Holm86

When it comes to McLaren FIA will find a way to penalise them.

megasyxx
megasyxx

cmon.....it really is a flexi stuff wing. remember their bridge wing back then? similar stuff maybe but not like rbr's imo.

Fil

Diesel wrote:How could the FIA possibly justify any kind of action against McLaren when the Red Bull wing has been cleared. If it fails the load tests that is a different story, but as far as we know it passes the test, so it's legal.

They disregarded photographic evidence when it came to the Red Bull wing, so they can only do the same.
Red Bull's carbon flexes under load. McLaren's wing mount hinges under load. That's the only discernible difference.

As to how the FIA potentially deal with this, yeah it'll definitely be interesting since, through Whiting, they've publicly stated that passing the front wing load test is all that matters. This will sorely test that stand.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Fil wrote: Red Bull's carbon flexes under load. McLaren's wing mount hinges under load. That's the only discernible difference.
I've yet to see anything that proves McLaren's wing is 'hinging' or 'pivoting' etc.

Just this wild speculation that the front wing mounts at a single point which is strong enough to keep the wing in place yet flexible enough to allow it to 'hinge'.

Anyone care to source this speculation?

Pup
Pup

Diesel wrote:Anyone care to source this speculation?
Our eyes? It's pretty obvious, imo.