Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
747heavy

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Thanks deus - will do
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

raymondu999

I was under the impression that most teams used a loophole that within the 15cm exclusion zone, they make a slit, that expands and becomes a full-width slot in the back of the wing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

feynman
feynman

Each wing shown in that diagram is clearly two elements.
The black line is the f-duct slot, and there is a ridge on the the left hand wing. That's not daylight, that's a highlight. That's why it's light gray, not the bright daylight white.

(You can kinda tell it's only two elements, 'cos the illustrator drew it from a photo of the racecar, and the racecar was scrutineered, ipso facto, two elements).

Hungary 2010

ringo

It's 2 elements. One is airfoil shaped, the other one with the slot is like a horse shoe shape; if you can visualize what i am saying.

The center 15cm is 3 elements, but the slot projected laterally into the upper element intersects it in a way that the upper element is still one piece, only shaped differently.
For Sure!!

segedunum
segedunum

raymondu999 wrote:What I don't get is why didn't McLaren reduce Jenson's downforce level slightly and get a 340k top speed as most others were.
I don't think the system works like that. People have asked similar question in races before.

wrcsti
wrcsti

segedunum wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:What I don't get is why didn't McLaren reduce Jenson's downforce level slightly and get a 340k top speed as most others were.
I don't think the system works like that. People have asked similar question in races before.
It would likely not be as effective. a blown teatray wing would likely se no substantial benefit to being blown unless you blow it to increase downforce in the turns.

volarchico
volarchico

But now you get back to the question of why was Ferrari and Renault able to run smaller "Monza" type wings and still effectively implement an f-duct? That's what I think raymondu999 was referring to. Not necessarily a "tea-tray" but something in between.

raymondu999

Yeap. That's the one I wanted
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The smaller the wing the less benefit you get from an F-duct. The other teams were running an f-duct on their Monza wings but it wasn't given them much extra, probably only marginal to not running the f-duct.

I think McLaren went in to the weekend fully expecting not to run the F-duct so they didn't develop any kind of Monza package to incorporate it. It's likely their simulations and tunnel work showed it wouldn't give them any benefit. When they wanted to try it anyway they only had the Spa setup so that's what they ran.

From what I can see it doesn't look like the f-duct wing is adjustable, so to run it with lower downforce you would need to manufacture a new wing to incorporate the new angle. It's hard to say without seeing any decent pictures.

marcush.
marcush.

unfortunatelly we have not and will not see the morph of a teattray and the f-duct wing as Mclaren has it this year...I´m quite positive this would have worked

raymondu999

They say they can now master high downforce: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/09/22/m ... orce-pace/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

zgred

segedunum
segedunum

raymondu999 wrote:They say they can now master high downforce: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/09/22/m ... orce-pace/
:roll:

zgred

That is really ugly.

EDIT: another angle.
Last edited by zgred on 23 Sep 2010, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

is that a non switchable f duct??

Also, that front wing hasnt been painted!