Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

zgred wrote:Image

That is really ugly.

EDIT: another angle.
wow that is...different to say the least. ugly but beautiful

marcush.
marcush.

nah..it´s fascinating to see them exploring new roads.
I like it and hope for a competitive showing .

er..is the exhaust pipe ending in a y-piece now ? it almost looks like they have an exhaust port along the radius between floor and transmission covering and the
more outwards directed pipe that we already saw aimed possibly at the downforce producing bits mounted to the upright .

raymondu999

Interesting that the outer part of the cascade is going the Findia - Brawn - RB - Renault - everybody else route now. I guess they got the data for that development from the Spa wing. Looks like the designs in the paddock are converging towards that cascade.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

feynman
feynman

marcush. wrote:er..is the exhaust pipe ending in a y-piece now ? it almost looks like they have an exhaust port along the radius between floor and transmission covering and the more outwards directed pipe that we already saw aimed possibly at the downforce producing bits mounted to the upright .

It looks like a y-piece in the first photo, but as you move closer, then I don't think so.

Errr, so where exactly is the exhaust?
A Hyper-Blown-Diffuser? They've definitely gone 10/10ths with the concept, be nice to see another angle.

Did the last of the old McLaren/Newey blown diffusers not go way deep down into the back of the car? Have they been rummaging round in the basement looking for ideas?

marcush.
marcush.

and they got slots/louvers in the endplate of the cascade...also a first methinks.

On the birdsview picture you can see they have now on both sides installed boxes on top of the floor in frnt of the raer tyres for the aero evaluation...doesn´t this disturb the flow too much? those boxes must be ruining all the flow entering the area between the bodywork and tyre?

feynman
feynman

The boxes are temporary and have been seen before. They contain pressure sensors and are usually connected to an array of pitot-tubes during practice.

You can see a ribbon cable of tubes emerging from both boxes and heading off towards the new front-wing.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

feynman wrote:
marcush. wrote:er..is the exhaust pipe ending in a y-piece now ? it almost looks like they have an exhaust port along the radius between floor and transmission covering and the more outwards directed pipe that we already saw aimed possibly at the downforce producing bits mounted to the upright .

It looks like a y-piece in the first photo, but as you move closer, then I don't think so.

Errr, so where exactly is the exhaust?
A Hyper-Blown-Diffuser? They've definitely gone 10/10ths with the concept, be nice to see another angle.

Did the last of the old McLaren/Newey blown diffusers not go way deep down into the back of the car? Have they been rummaging round in the basement looking for ideas?
Yeah, it looks like the exhausts are now exiting underneath the car. Also, that rear wing is completely different in concept. It doesn't look like there's two separate elements - just one big one with huge holes cut through it. It'll be really interesting to see how it performs on track.

satlan
satlan

Quite radical design changes:

- 1 element rear wing (with holes of course)
- Exhaust now ends under the suspension arm
- Copy and pasted a mini-rearwing on the front wing :D
- The duct feeding air to stall the rear wing looks really thin

A silly question. Now that the FIA wing deflection tests put the test weights further to the middle of the car, does that mean that this new outer part of the front wing can now flex all it wants?

marcush.
marcush.

feynman wrote:The boxes are temporary and have been seen before. They contain pressure sensors and are usually connected to an array of pitot-tubes during practice.

You can see a ribbon cable of tubes emerging from both boxes and heading off towards the new front-wing.
i´m well aware of that fact.Still they must have a considerable effect on the aero ? so you are modifying the flow you are trying to measure ..not quite the approach if yopu are looking at single POINTS of improvement... :roll:

To me this must be one of the next steps for the teams:

you need integrated testing equipment interfaces to be able to evaluate updates
with reproducable results. So no big testlab style cableworms but slot in devices that can quickly validate performance gains.

feynman
feynman

I doubt it.

If you have space inside the car for measurement equipment, only installed in practice, then that volume would and should be used for better packaging of your raceday car.

You stick a model in the tunnel during the winter and make sure that a low profile box taped on the rear floor has no measurable interaction with the front wing or inlets or bargeboards or f-ducts or whatever, and then during the season you go driving round the track on Friday getting your real-life data. Keep it simple.

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

marcush. wrote:
feynman wrote:The boxes are temporary and have been seen before. They contain pressure sensors and are usually connected to an array of pitot-tubes during practice.

i´m well aware of that fact.Still they must have a considerable effect on the aero ? so you are modifying the flow you are trying to measure ..not quite the approach if yopu are looking at single POINTS of improvement... :roll:

To me this must be one of the next steps for the teams:

you need integrated testing equipment interfaces to be able to evaluate updates
with reproducable results. So no big testlab style cableworms but slot in devices that can quickly validate performance gains.
they wouldnt test anywhere affected by it

PNSD
PNSD

It cant be a single element rear wing... Very interesting details, but would like a confirmation on that rear wing. It just looks like the one they have ran for most of the season imo.

edit/

http://photos.gpupdate.net/large/162744.jpg

Not a single element rear wing. The amount of red is simply making it difficult to tell, but there are two planes there.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

PNSD wrote:It cant be a single element rear wing... Very interesting details, but would like a confirmation on that rear wing. It just looks like the one they have ran for most of the season imo.

edit/

http://photos.gpupdate.net/large/162744.jpg

Not a single element rear wing. The amount of red is simply making it difficult to tell, but there are two planes there.
I'm really not sure. I can't remember seeing those large 'V-shaped' horizontal cuts in the old rear wing - they certainly weren't there in Monaco or hungary which are the other two high downforce circuits (just checked photos on F1.com)

timbo
timbo

The level of detail is amazing!
Ridiculously amazing, I'd say.

feynman
feynman

PNSD wrote:The amount of red is simply making it difficult to tell, but there are two planes there.
If McLaren wanted to be clever, they'd do all their winter testing in a car painted solid Vodafone Rocket Red, camera sensors already struggle with red and then adding a bit of dayglo into the mix and everything blows out into a solid red mush.