McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Is the angle playing tricks on me or are there 3 different designs here? the 2 on the left being the same; and different from the other 2 on the right
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123
wesley123

The AoA of the upper right one is incredibly steep, these guys really seem to be bolting on whatever downforce they got
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

the left ones are identical; the right ones it seems are identical save for AoA change. But the cascade as well as the inner trailing edge are different.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ell66
ell66

raymondu999 wrote:the left ones are identical; the right ones it seems are identical save for AoA change. But the cascade as well as the inner trailing edge are different.
yeah, the two on the left are from pre-barcelona, then youve got the current front wing on the bottom right and the one at the top with a lot more surface area and greater AoA.

wesley123
wesley123

backside of the front wing, got a really good look on the detail.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bgroovers
bgroovers

Rake.

Autosport magazine are saying McL are running with a lot more rack than before like the RBs. Does anyone have any photos of this from Germany.
Although detrimental to CoG higher rear ride height means bigger opening to feed the diffuser but also more leakage. This is controlled though by blown diffuser creating virtual skirt.
Lower front wing ride height giving more front end grip as demonstrated by McL in germany, facilitated by the new engine maps to increase virtual seal that Lewis was talking about...
Guess we'll find out in Hungry!
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 29 Jul 2011, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged into here from own thread named 'Rake'

boyracer94
boyracer94

McLaren say that they're testing new aero parts, a new exhaust and test components for Spa today.

myurr
myurr

boyracer94 wrote:McLaren say that they're testing new aero parts, a new exhaust and test components for Spa today.
Early on they were running the smaller flap rear wing (giving them really good top speed and making them fast in sector 1 and 3 but about half a second or more off the pace in sector 2) before they both changed to the higher downforce rear wing.

The Radio 5 live guys commented on the car visibly running more rake as well. So maybe that was half of Red Bulls secret after all. The McLaren's definitely looked stronger here than I expected, and Lewis really seemed to have the bit between his teeth.

Vasco

myurr wrote:
boyracer94 wrote:McLaren say that they're testing new aero parts, a new exhaust and test components for Spa today.
Early on they were running the smaller flap rear wing (giving them really good top speed and making them fast in sector 1 and 3 but about half a second or more off the pace in sector 2) before they both changed to the higher downforce rear wing.

The Radio 5 live guys commented on the car visibly running more rake as well. So maybe that was half of Red Bulls secret after all. The McLaren's definitely looked stronger here than I expected, and Lewis really seemed to have the bit between his teeth.
Was their overall lap time quicker with the short chord DRS or the old stlye DRS? The short chord version will give them a nice advantage when it comes to overtaking if they end up behind the red bulls or ferraris after qualifying.

raymondu999

I think probably on a free-use DRS lap, such as fp/qually, the new wing will be faster; while on a race pace simulation (no DRS use) it will probably be the old one faster.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MikeFromCanada

A couple pics from Germany. Certainly seems like the rear is raised quite a bit. Tried brightening up the one pic to see the floor better.

Hungary Picture from Thursday

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:the left ones are identical; the right ones it seems are identical save for AoA change. But the cascade as well as the inner trailing edge are different.
I don't think they are – I think what you're seeing is that the inner edge curves in towards the driver on all the wings, and that with a low AoA or seen from the side where it's curving away from you, you simply don't see the point.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Hamilton and button seemingly running different front wings, driver preference, or just aero evaluation?

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:I think probably on a free-use DRS lap, such as fp/qually, the new wing will be faster; while on a race pace simulation (no DRS use) it will probably be the old one faster.
It was actually the old wing that was faster even with DRS use. This is a downforce circuit. Notably the McLarens recorded top speeds in FP2 were a lot slower than FP1, but their lap times were better.

beelsebob
beelsebob

myurr wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I think probably on a free-use DRS lap, such as fp/qually, the new wing will be faster; while on a race pace simulation (no DRS use) it will probably be the old one faster.
It was actually the old wing that was faster even with DRS use. This is a downforce circuit. Notably the McLarens recorded top speeds in FP2 were a lot slower than FP1, but their lap times were better.
To be fair – it would be hard for them to be worse on a now dry track.