2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
max_speed
max_speed

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Alonso is not being too harsh yet but this one is right one target. As someone already said Krack is sign of mediocrity, Dan follows is outright mediocrity( touted as adrian right hand who cudnt get limelight under his shadow) :

https://racingnews365.com/alonso-instru ... sh-failure

ringo

RedNEO wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 07:37
KimiRai wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 04:53
ringo wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 04:50
Alonso getting a little nasty withe comments about his team's development after the race. His true colours will show in a few more frustrating races.
He is saying the team need to do less talking about upgrades and prove it.
I dont see the relationship going well in the long run. Should they have signed him till 2026?
He may have similar issues of understanding the tyres like Lewis. And his teammate is of no use. Aston need a young gun like an Albon or Russel to find a direction from their feedback.
This team despite all the spending is now worse than poor Alpine.
I don't see the nastiness anywhere unless you read clickbaity news. Less talk and more results is reasonable, he's still trusting the team to make a comeback this season.
Yeah ignore that user he’s a troll. In one breath he criticises Alonso for a very lite criticism of the team and then he ends his post by criticising the team heavily. 🙃

Alonso trusts Stroll Snr and they are both together in their views. People trying to spin a different narrative are going to have egg on their faces pretty quickly.
So easy to call people trolls isn't it?

Alonso's words:
"We deserved not to score any point because we didn't have the pace the whole weekend.

"In the race, it was extremely difficult. When you slide so much in the corners, also you kill the tyres. So you have two problems.

"You don't have the pace, plus you have a lot of degradation. So all in all, it has been a very long race for us. We need to get better for us."

It is frustrating but there's nothing you can do now so you start thinking in Austria immediately when you see the chequered flag and what you can do differently.

"But I think it's gonna be painful as well because it has some characteristics of Barcelona, with the long corners.

"It's going to be another tough weekend, also in Silverstone, arguably.

"We cannot get too frustrated. It's time to work harder, to talk less, to deliver more. It's what we want to do."

A fundamental flaw is Aston Martin's failure to make incremental gains with each set up upgrade and Alonso says that needs to change.

He said: "I'm looking forward, but we've been upgrading the car a lot and we didn't deliver the results.

"So now it's also a matter of whatever we bring to the track, it does deliver what we expect and we start getting better and better.

"So as I said, we need to work hard, get better every race, but without too much talking or promising."

When asked why the team has got it wrong and the upgrades are not working, he added: "I'm a driver, not a technician".
source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... /10626706/

I don't think this is encouraging for the team. And no responsibility was taken by him at all. Who in the team is doing all the talking that needs to talk less?
If he is just a driver, why is he also the team principal and politician, telling the workers in the team to stop talking?
This is toxicity in my opinion. But as usual this behavior will be acceptable for him by his fans.
For Sure!!

ringo

-wkst- wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 11:36
It's never a good thing, when there are too many changes at the top of the organisation, but F1 is purey about perfomance and something is clearly not right at AMR since the start of the season 2023. They built a great car for 2023, but all updates afterwards didn't work. Also the 2024 car has been rubbish since the start of the season, as the race pace is non existent. Now the car is slow in Q too...
I suspect they hired a lot of one trick ponies who are extremely good at their one trick. The team will need more analytical and creative young engineers to truly analyze and develop the car. It will take time, but they need a team leader who knows what types of people are needed in the hierarchy to do the ground work to sustain progress.
For Sure!!

Waz
Waz

Or the Mercedes rear suspension is more problematic than thought. It's not a coincidence that since Mercedes brought an upgraded rear suspension that they have been much more competitive every race.

It's entirely possible that the parts of the suspension that Aston can change or modify are to limited to overcome the issue.

Mercedes were so far behind with this suspension and the correlation that they weren't even sure going into testing about whether it was going to work as designed. There were snippets of interviews about this during testing.

The tires don't allow a driver to hustle a weak or unstable car around anymore, so finding a balance is really important.

Unfortunately, if the rear is weak, they need to balance with a weaker front, or risk overheating tires like a Haas in the Texan summer.

diffuser

ringo wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 15:34

"So as I said, we need to work hard, get better every race, but without too much talking or promising."

When asked why the team has got it wrong and the upgrades are not working, he added: "I'm a driver, not a technician".

I don't think this is encouraging for the team. And no responsibility was taken by him at all. Who in the team is doing all the talking that needs to talk less?
If he is just a driver, why is he also the team principal and politician, telling the workers in the team to stop talking?
This is toxicity in my opinion. But as usual this behavior will be acceptable for him by his fans.
He responding to the when will it be fixed.

Not knowing "why", cause he's not an engineer, is not the same as not taking responsibility. He did say "we" need to work harder, suggesting "him" as well.

diffuser

Waz wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 15:57
Or the Mercedes rear suspension is more problematic than thought. It's not a coincidence that since Mercedes brought an upgraded rear suspension that they have been much more competitive every race.

It's entirely possible that the parts of the suspension that Aston can change or modify are to limited to overcome the issue.

Mercedes were so far behind with this suspension and the correlation that they weren't even sure going into testing about whether it was going to work as designed. There were snippets of interviews about this during testing.

The tires don't allow a driver to hustle a weak or unstable car around anymore, so finding a balance is really important.

Unfortunately, if the rear is weak, they need to balance with a weaker front, or risk overheating tires like a Haas in the Texan summer.
Not sure why you just don't beleive what they say, that it's a corrolation issue? They said months ago that it was wasn't a rear suspension issue. So , why we end up with people suspecting it's the rear suspension is beyond me.

I've said this before, the flows below the floor do not react the same as the flows above. So they've needed to teach the CDF how those flows work but they need to understand them first in the wind tunnel. I suspect this is the same issue that McLaren and lately Merc have figured out.

jofs89
jofs89

diffuser wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 16:17
ringo wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 15:34

He responding to the when will it be fixed.

Not knowing "why", cause he's not an engineer, is not the same as not taking responsibility. He did say "we" need to work harder, suggesting "him" as well.
I personally don't see it as toxic at all. He's just being realistic and straight talking.

They have gone backwards for a while, there needs to be some accountability. I would agree there needs to be less talking and more delivering. Would you expect him to be happy the current state of affairs?

Something like, "Everyone is doing a great job making upgrades that don't work, I couldn't be happier with the progress we're making"... I mean what do you expect him to say??

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 11:21
So I guess both (Krack and Fallows) will be fired.

There were reports that Stroll quadrupled the salary of Fallows for his technical director job at AMR (compared to his income at RBR as head of aero).

Stroll has deep pockets, and obviously Aramco is willing to pay what it needs to be at the top in 2026, but guys have to deliver too...

Who was the last guy that AMR sacked ?
Maybe 1 piece from 2 rumours were right just about the wrong guy....They were looking at him as CTO and not Binotto? Maybe they were just asking Binotto about Cardile?

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

Given how big McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes are it took them forever to get on top of aero and suspension systems. There are no miracles updates coming. The team will continue to learn and grow, this phase is just a setback from the overall process.

Tho it would be great to see immediate improvement and results but sometimes it takes more time and I guess it’s fine as long as they are learning from these issues.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Mclaren has slowly started to recover about 1 year into new WT usage.
AM is using ancient Toyota wind tunnel, I think that is the main problem.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Mattchu

GoranF1 wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 18:30
I`m pretty sure Aston Martin are using the Mercedes' wind tunnel in Brackley, not the Toyota Gazoo one in Cologne, which Toyota still use for WEC cars...
It was McLaren that used to use the Cologne tunnel but as can be seen, having your own up to date on-site wind tunnel can make a huge difference!

organic

Hiring Cardile is a huge coup imo.

daren_p
daren_p

GoranF1 wrote:
Not true, Mclaren only started to use the new WT with their most recent, big upgrade in Miami. During pre season they mentioned the MCL38 was still designed in the old tunnel (as was the MCL60 that started their recovery).

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

GoranF1 wrote:
Lol AM useing the Mercedes wind tunnel. The new toyota wind tunnel Andretti use recently.

SSJ4
SSJ4

I don’t think we’ll get a new package for Hungary. Think Alonso was probably on about summer break post Hungary.

Carlos Miquel who has been reliable. Said a few weeks ago about a b spec. But for September. I don’t think Austria will be that bad. Silverstone will be a struggle like last season