McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MikeFromCanada

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

beelsebob wrote:To be fair – it would be hard for them to be worse on a now dry track.
Not to mention a grippier, rubbered in track as well. The car did however seem visually to have a lot of grip through the corners. I heard somewhere they had floor updates to test, probably realted to the exhaust testing they supposedly were doing?

michl420
michl420

McLaren bring now more cooling air to the center opening and less to the sidepod opening. I also think Button tested a rear wing without DRS in the first session.

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That first image is interesting because the "big flap wing" is missing the DRS strut that it normally has. New rear brake ducts and I think sidepod body work as well. But maybe this image is just flattering to the shrink wrap of the sidepod.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

beelsebob
beelsebob

They also seem to be changing their cooling exit from a tall narrow strip to the same bulbous exit just above the beam wing that RBR/Ferrari have been using.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

beelsebob wrote:They also seem to be changing their cooling exit from a tall narrow strip to the same bulbous exit just above the beam wing that RBR/Ferrari have been using.
Pretty much identical to what the MP4-25 ran last year.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Rikhart
Rikhart

Owen.C93 wrote:That first image is interesting because the "big flap wing" is missing the DRS strut that it normally has. New rear brake ducts and I think sidepod body work as well. But maybe this image is just flattering to the shrink wrap of the sidepod.
Huge rake...

PlatinumZealot

Curved end-plate fins were always there?

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

wesley123
wesley123

those were introduced last race
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Poleman

Slightly off topic but in contradiction to what many believed back in the launch i now think that the car looks actually smexy and aggresive.Beautiful piece of machinery... =D>

raymondu999

Poleman wrote:Slightly off topic but in contradiction to what many believed back in the launch i now think that the car looks actually smexy and aggresive.Beautiful piece of machinery... =D>
I still prefer the -25's side pods. After they moved the exhausts off the side pods and onto the floor, that is :wink:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SiLo

Car looks in good shape for the race tomorrow, hoping they can have a good quali as well. Got any pics of the updates sidepods inlets?
Felipe Baby!

Muulka
Muulka

raymondu999 wrote:
Poleman wrote:Slightly off topic but in contradiction to what many believed back in the launch i now think that the car looks actually smexy and aggresive.Beautiful piece of machinery... =D>
I still prefer the -25's side pods. After they moved the exhausts off the side pods and onto the floor, that is :wink:
You see, when I see the -25 now it seems crude, old-fashioned. It's amazing how much the cars have progressed since the start of last year visually (and performance-wise). Just look at the front wings then and Mclaren's current one!

Does anyone here think that other teams will adopt the U-pods for next year? Certainly seems to be better than the so-called double floor.

But the -26 does seem to run with an awful lot of undercut in the sidepods, or is that just me? It looks like there's a massive gap between the sidepods and the floor, actually akin to TR's gap, but not quite as pronounced.

That was a bit of a random post, but oh well. I'll try to be more coherant from now on! :lol:

marcush.
marcush.

I´d think the -26 has opened up the minds of the aero and mechanical engineers and we might see some new ideas in terms of sidepod layout..

Phillyred
Phillyred

It will be interesting to see if they carry over this radical chassis design to the mp4-27.