HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 22:48
strad wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 22:45
the halo can resist the force of a london bus.
No it can withstand the weight...totally different measurements.
Weight is a force.
oe. slippery slope...

The halo can withstand the EQUIVALENT of the weight of a London bus. It means you can stand a bus stationary ontop of it... Even a relative small object can have the equivalent force of the weight of a London bus, as long as it carries enough energy, like speed.

Formula Wrong

Just a quick note to the De Villota/Bianchi discussion: Bianchi's crash was way more than what the Halo could ever handle, it just wasn't designed for that type of crash. According to the FIA it could have had a positive effect on something like De Villota's crash, however (I'm not entirely sure how but I'd assume it heavily depends on the angle, at least they said they looked at what would have happened if accidents happened a bit more to the left, right etc)
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

jagunx51

Shadow from the sunlight could be tricky / the wake from rain drops :wink:

............!!!!

Jolle
Jolle

So, “wheels don’t come off anymore”, how long into the 2018 season did it take? 1 ½ hours? Lol

NathanOlder

lol, trust Mclaren to screw things up.

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Formula Wrong

Jolle wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 11:32
So, “wheels don’t come off anymore”, how long into the 2018 season did it take? 1 ½ hours? Lol
I was honestly surprised that the wheel jumped around like it did. :shock: Usually when it just comes off like that, I'd expect it to simply roll away.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

roon
roon

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:01
lol, trust Mclaren to screw things up.

https://i.imgur.com/It3n3Wg.jpg
Yeah I think they have kind of killed your argument stone dead there :x :wink:

NathanOlder

:lol: Bet they did it on purpose too :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TwanV
TwanV

I've been scrolling through this thread and as an engineer I can't get my head around why people would think the halo is a good solution. In my mind the halo is a compromise brought about by FIA politics in the wake of the Bianchi tragedy when the only sensible thing to do really is to ban open wheel racing. In safety terms it really doesn't make any sense to not have a closed canopy as opposed to a halo. Aesthetically: the same. I even saw some comments/FIA research that appear to show that an F-16 canopy is inferior to the halo and that the halo is so fantastic because "it can tackle a london bus". Who is interested in london busses anyway, the only thing that matters is that a potential lethal impact is absorbed. Out with the halo, in with the canopy please; especially on cold days like today.

Jolle
Jolle

TwanV wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 12:51
I've been scrolling through this thread and as an engineer I can't get my head around why people would think the halo is a good solution. In my mind the halo is a compromise brought about by FIA politics in the wake of the Bianchi tragedy when the only sensible thing to do really is to ban open wheel racing. In safety terms it really doesn't make any sense to not have a closed canopy as opposed to a halo. Aesthetically: the same. I even saw some comments/FIA research that appear to show that an F-16 canopy is inferior to the halo and that the halo is so fantastic because "it can tackle a london bus". Who is interested in london busses anyway, the only thing that matters is that a potential lethal impact is absorbed. Out with the halo, in with the canopy please; especially on cold days like today.
I think you need to read/view the fia documents. they are very clear that Bianchi's accident wasn't part of it. They were already busy with head protection even before surtees his accident (on request by the teams and drivers).

As an engineer you must know that a plastic screen or canopy is no match for a solid titanium roll bar. There is a FIA presconference on here somewhere, just watch it.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 09:31
:lol: Bet they did it on purpose too :lol:
:lol:

TwanV
TwanV

Jolle wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 12:57
TwanV wrote:
I think you need to read/view the fia documents. they are very clear that Bianchi's accident wasn't part of it. They were already busy with head protection even before surtees his accident (on request by the teams and drivers).

As an engineer you must know that a plastic screen or canopy is no match for a solid titanium roll bar. There is a FIA presconference on here somewhere, just watch it.
Well let's not have an argument about the power of wind-screens since every car apart from open-wheelers has one. How many cars/jets have a solid titanium bar instead? It's just bad spin Jolle, really.

Jolle
Jolle

TwanV wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 13:00
Jolle wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 12:57
TwanV wrote:

Well let's not have an argument about the power of wind-screens since every car apart from open-wheelers have one. How many cars/jets have a solid titanium bar instead? It's just bad spin Jolle, really.
If cars were build like airplanes, they would weigh 200kg and made of tinfoil. One crash and you're dead.

A f16 canopy is build to withstand a 1kg bird at 600 km/h (give or take), not a F1 crash, where a car rides over you or you get wedged under boarding. Also, a canopy costs around ten times that of the halo plus it would need replacement with every small crash, next to all of the questions of rain, dirt, airconditioning and driver retraction.