2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Stu

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

8th gear needs to work for Monza, just as second needs to work for Monaco. Ratios are fixed for the year.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 19:54
https://i.imgur.com/sSk3Cpf.jpg

Long run analysis.
Credit to @tonisorkolov1011 on Twitter

I hope and believe Ferrari have not shown their hand but Max consistently 1s quicker than Sainz on their soft stint. Lap 10 max did 1.37.6 which is faster than every lap attempted by other drivers except for leclerc's one 37.1

If RB really did bring a weight reduction worth a few tenths for this weekend, the application of the update only to Max's car could explain the 1s gap to Perez - 0.7s last season was not unusual on pure pace.
Interesting to se Lewis only 0.1s slower than George but on the slower tyre.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Dee
Dee

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 20:16
organic wrote:

Long run analysis.

I hope and believe Ferrari have not shown their hand but Max consistently 1s quicker than Sainz on their soft stint. Lap 10 max did 1.37.6 which is faster than every lap attempted by other drivers except for leclerc's one 37.1

If RB really did bring a weight reduction worth a few tenths for this weekend, the application of the update only to Max's car could explain the 1s gap to Perez - 0.7s last season was not unusual on pure pace.
Similar to Alonso and Ocon, 0.2 between both

silver
silver

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 20:16
organic wrote:

Long run analysis.

Hamilton on Mediums is 0.2 slower than Russell on Softs, which is the same case between Gasly and Tsunoda. Alonso on Mediums is 0.3 faster than Ocon on Softs. On the basis of that, it does appear as if the Medium is a better race tyre than Soft.

Henri
Henri

Mercedes just need to fix the bouncing.. pace us not to bad.. fix the issues and the car will be top 2

SiLo

It almost looks like Ferrari and Red Bull had Leclerc and Max running the second stint in a race and Sainz/Perez running the first stint. I refuse to believe that Leclerc is 1.5 seconds a lap faster over a stint, and even Max being 1 second ahead is ridiculous.
Felipe Baby!

Timtim99
Timtim99

Henri wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 20:33

Mercedes just need to fix the bouncing.. pace us not to bad.. fix the issues and the car will be top 2
I don’t believe Ferrari has shown their hands at all and just toying with Redbull. And I also don’t believe any of this timing because this is a new regulation and no one knows what the teams are doing.. And don’t even count Mercedes’ out of qualifying. My surprise tomorrow will be Haas and Alfa. they may have a drive each in the top 10, because I think Ferrari engine is at par if not better than Merc and Redbull’s engine

Dee
Dee

SiLo wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 20:40
It almost looks like Ferrari and Red Bull had Leclerc and Max running the second stint in a race and Sainz/Perez running the first stint. I refuse to believe that Leclerc is 1.5 seconds a lap faster over a stint, and even Max being 1 second ahead is ridiculous.
I think Perez was running a few different setups so should be closer in race pace but race pace is Max's greatest strength

Gasly and Albon - (0.7 - 1.0) second a lap faster
Perez - (0.4 - 0.7) a lap faster

Then (although some people don't like a comparison) in the sim world he can be a second a lap faster than anyone, like the Le Mans just gone, before he crashed

JPower
JPower

SiLo wrote:
I think you’re right on the money.

Dee
Dee

SiLo wrote:
Let's hope this is it, I want them to be close

silver
silver

SiLo wrote:
As a reference, Verstappen did 1m29.997 in quali (Softs) and settled into 1m35.9s in first stint (Mediums) in race last year. That's about 6 seconds between a qualifying and race fuel loads and with compound difference. If Verstappen would have started on Softs in race (theoretically), he would have been atleast another half a second faster. So, it could have been 1m35.4s. That's about 5.5 seconds on the same compounds.
So, 1m37.5s (Softs) on the race sim in this FP2 should ideally yield a qualifying time of 1m32.0s (with full beans). Although it was the same time we saw in FP2, but it wasn't on full beans. So, it's not exaggerated to believe that, he was carrying full race fuel load.

Sieper

organic wrote:

Long run analysis.

Indeed. Like I was saying before. I watch Max closely and for me that was the defacto norm as well.

Sieper

Dee wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 20:46
SiLo wrote:
I think Perez was running a few different setups so should be closer in race pace but race pace is Max's greatest strength

Gasly and Albon - (0.7 - 1.0) second a lap faster
Perez - (0.4 - 0.7) a lap faster

Then (although some people don't like a comparison) in the sim world he can be a second a lap faster than anyone, like the Le Mans just gone, before he crashed
And that happened as he overtook someone just before the chicane and misjudged entering it as a result (imho). Just saying so that people don’t think it happened purely from trying to go (to) fast. He has that kind of pace.

carisi2k

Artur Craft wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:56

I don´t believe RB is 1s ahead of everybody but, going from that data, it seems Alfa Romeo is quite a good car. Those kind of data is useful just to extract a couple of informations, not to make big conclusions about the actual pecking order.

My personal prediction is that Ferrari will not be that close to RB, though.
You have to take in that certain laptimes (the alfa, the haas) are to try and get sponsors. Looking at FP1 and FP2 I am right on the mark with Red Bull and Ferrari. However some of the other are out including Mercedes although russell was 0.6 off max which is within my data of 0.5-0.8 but Lewis is well off.

Mclaren is really baffling and I still think that is the result of what happened with them in testing.

chrisc90

I reckon something like this come Quali

Ver
LEC
sainz
per
Alo
Rus
ham

Might even be a AT somewhere on the lower end of that list too.