[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Caratecat
Caratecat

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Hi guys,

I don't think I have the skill to do this challenge. It's a bit of a shame because this challenge is so interesting, and I love the idea of this challenge.

I definitely won't be able to participate in this race and I'm not sure about the future races as well so I'm likely going to quit. Maybe in a year or two I'll join again with hopefully more knowledge in 3d modelling.

Good luck to all of you guys in developing your cars!

-Caratecat

yinlad

G-raph wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 00:31
yinlad wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 18:52
I'll get the ball rolling with R03 car details! I'm a few days ahead of schedule which is nice.
Nice one, your car is getting quite tidy with a lot of nice little details. It sounds like you made a decent step, and although I'm not sure it will be enough for a a podium, that gives you a shot at heading the midfield. Good luck!

spacehead3 wrote:
17 Aug 2023, 20:42
This should be a fun race, we've got a huge difference in drag between all the cars...
I agree, this should be an interesting one!

I've submitted my car at the start of the week, but haven't had time to do any rendering yet. Hopefully I'll get that done this weekend.
Yeah the jump from midfield to podium is pretty large at the moment. I'll need some fundamental changes on the car to make a step that big I think.
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

Sorry for the long absence, I've been a bit busy.

I ask the staff to use the 48h bonus (delivery on Tuesday before midnight, correct?)

The car for Monza will be derived from that of the second race (with the new floor that I hadn't submitted by mistake). I'm hopeful for the podium, but I don't think I have any chance for the victory.

G-raph

Caratecat wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 01:17
Hi guys,

I don't think I have the skill to do this challenge. It's a bit of a shame because this challenge is so interesting, and I love the idea of this challenge.

I definitely won't be able to participate in this race and I'm not sure about the future races as well so I'm likely going to quit. Maybe in a year or two I'll join again with hopefully more knowledge in 3d modelling.

Good luck to all of you guys in developing your cars!

-Caratecat
I'm sorry to hear that. But I guess that is the right decision. Take the time you need to learn how to use the 3D modelling software of your choice without the pressure of having to produce something for this year's races. Forget (for now) about this challenge specific rules and regulation boxes, just try to make something that looks like an F1 car, and go from there. I'm sure people on this forum will be happy to help and guide you if you need. Hopefully that should give you enough time to make progress at your own pace and be ready for next year's challenge. I hope you hang in there!

HermesMotorsport

Hi everyone!
I discovered this challenge recently and decided to join. This is my entry for the next race. I'm still figuring out the modeling and cfd stuff but it's great fun. I would appreciate a lot if someone could help me with setting up Mantium Flow.I understood how to create and build a case but I keep getting errors concerning the dimensions, like :,,Warning diagonal is very large".
Looking forward to racing with you all!!
Last edited by HermesMotorsport on 20 Aug 2023, 18:52, edited 4 times in total.

CAEdevice

Hi Hermes Motorsport, try checking the units of the stl files: 1 unit = 1 m (Rule 2.2).

HermesMotorsport

CAEdevice wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 20:22
Hi Hermes Motorsport, try checking the units of the stl files: 1 unit = 1 m (Rule 2.2).
This seems to solve the issue. Thank you!

Ft5fTL

Can i get a confirmation about my submission? My connection to internet is very dodgy atm so i dont know about the status of my submission (i had to drag and drop and leave).
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Busor
Busor

BusorRacing for Round 3 - Monza.

I also had to use my two day extension, as I wasn't on my PC for the last week.
A lot of effort spend on getting the cooling in the right direction, so little time left to fix some issues from my last car.

Since the last race I also discovered the online lap time simulation, so I shouldn't be as off-balance as last round :D .

Cheers!
Last edited by Busor on 22 Aug 2023, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Busor

G-raph

Good luck everyone!

Monza is always an interesting one. There is a lot of performance to find for this one race by optmising a specific Monza package, but would that time be better spent on regular development for all the other races?

Given my position, I have chosen to focus on a specific Monza configuration. There is a lot of laptime to find by improving efficiency, but actually the most important thing for laptime is the absolute drag level.

So here is the yellow car for Monza!
(Animated GIF comparing Race 03 to Race 02)

The update consists of :

- Small floor edge details. That is not Monza-specific, just development I didn't quite finish on time for Race 02. It is probably not worth the risk, but I think it looks cool and I want to see how it performs on the real simulations, so I've taken that small risk.
- Monza rear wing and beamwing, reducing drag as much as possible.
- Raised Nose and front wing centre section, as well as backed-off and reduced chord front wing flap. This is to rebalance the Monza rear wing.
- Removed second element of the airbox sail. It is quite a draggy device, and its aim is to load the rear wing which is less relevant for Monza. So again the aim was to reduce drag as much as possible.
- Smaller cooling outlet louvre panel. I have some margin to the cooling target, and both the Monza front wing and airbox sail have increased cooling further, so I had even more to play with.

If everything correlates perfectly (from my Fast simulations to the official ones), the performance expectations are :
- Cd reduced from 1.55 to 1.25
- Efficiency slighlty improved from 3.87 to 3.95 (I'd love to have a bit of luck and hit 4!)
- CoP much closer to optimum position
- 1.5s/lap faster than the R02-spec around Monza.

variante

This is my take on Monza!

The comparison with the high downforce package is quite sharp, even though there are no differences in design philosophy.
I found drag reduction to be of paramount importance, with efficiency being more of an afterthought.

So, i happened to take the same development path that G-raph took:
- smaller wings, smaller cooling gills array, no airbox wing, and little details.

The problem i still have is that my simulations have a few critical differences from the official ones. It means that finer aspects like vortex optimization and wake management are a guessing game for me. So, i'm not particularly optimistic.

Nice to see that the other cars are evolving nicely. I think the upcoming races will be closer and closer.
Even though it seems that G-raph will lead the way for some more...

LVDH

Ft5fTL wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 15:10
Can i get a confirmation about my submission? My connection to internet is very dodgy atm so i dont know about the status of my submission (i had to drag and drop and leave).
Yepp, car arrived. I am preparing the render right now.

Simulations are going to plan, so we should get the results this weekend.

HermesMotorsport wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 18:41
Hi everyone!
I discovered this challenge recently and decided to join. This is my entry for the next race. I'm still figuring out the modeling and cfd stuff but it's great fun. I would appreciate a lot if someone could help me with setting up Mantium Flow.I understood how to create and build a case but I keep getting errors concerning the dimensions, like :,,Warning diagonal is very large".
It seems that you exported your car with imperial units, but even then I had to scale by a factor of ten which was a bit odd. This will get you a warning when scrutineering results are published, so for the sake of not getting penalties and being able to use MFlow, please get this sorted out.

HermesMotorsport

It seems that you exported your car with imperial units, but even then I had to scale by a factor of ten which was a bit odd. This will get you a warning when scrutineering results are published, so for the sake of not getting penalties and being able to use MFlow, please get this sorted out.
Yeah sorry for that. I figured it out after the submission deadline. Won't be a problem next time!

LVDH

HermesMotorsport wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 19:21
Yeah sorry for that. I figured it out after the submission deadline. Won't be a problem next time!
Don't worry, every team has to sort out all kinds of quirks in the beginning, yours was at least rather simple.

LVDH

The cars have revealed themselves:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-monza-2023/
While we seem to have too many red cars, I think Hermes Motorsport actually looks pretty good.