Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FDD
FDD

Re: Ferrari SF-24

dialtone wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 00:11
They have no spoon but the wing doesn’t look that much smaller to me.
Yes, especially to MERC it looks pretty the same, but the spoon is quite smaller in respect to others.

nico5

dialtone wrote:
Less cambered for sure.

dialtone
dialtone

FDD wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Yes, especially to MERC it looks pretty the same, but the spoon is quite smaller in respect to others.
No spoon means more DF. Spoon usually decreases DF.

jambuka
jambuka

Compared to other cars SF-24 seems to only have 2 slots of cooling for Bahrain. Mercedes and RB have a lot more. Hope they have estimated cooling needs correctly.

FDD
FDD

dialtone wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 00:18
FDD wrote:
dialtone wrote:
No spoon means more DF. Spoon usually decreases DF.
Then I am wrong.

Vanja #66

Spoon like this \__/ is an attempt to contain the losses at wing tips, which leads to a loss of pressurisation on the top surface. This also affects the wings ability to push more air through the flap slot, leading to lower suction on the underside. RB used it the entire 2022 an then switched to a more curved transition between centre section and the tips.

Other than Monza wings, all wings are spoons now. Teams are optimising for their specific requirements, as well as their beam wing and diffuser designs. Ferrari has changed all three of those things for the new car, so they must have hit the limit with the 23 medium downforce wing.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Venturiation
Venturiation

SiLo

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 09:02
Spoon like this \__/ is an attempt to contain the losses at wing tips, which leads to a loss of pressurisation on the top surface. This also affects the wings ability to push more air through the flap slot, leading to lower suction on the underside. RB used it the entire 2022 an then switched to a more curved transition between centre section and the tips.

Other than Monza wings, all wings are spoons now. Teams are optimising for their specific requirements, as well as their beam wing and diffuser designs. Ferrari has changed all three of those things for the new car, so they must have hit the limit with the 23 medium downforce wing.
Is there CFD of the different wing profiles? Merc always have a very large scoop to the main plane, and I want to see how it differs to what Ferrari are running here.
Felipe Baby!

SharkY
SharkY

Chuckjr wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 08:46
Does anyone know about how much faster in percentage the air is traveling at the compression points in the floor to create the Bernoulli effect? 10%? 40%? 60%? I’ve no clue. I was just curious the kinds of airspeeds they are dealing with in the floor tunnel compression phase.
I'm not sure, I understood your question correctly, don't you mean a decompression point (as the pressure drops) and Venturi effect?
It's really hard to estimate that, as we would have to find some very specific photos, that would allow us to estimate two things: cross section area at the floor inlet and the smallest cross section area.
In general if there are no other flow paths (air leaking out or into the tunnel), the mass flow needs to be constant an in incompressible airflow.
So, V1*A1=V2*A2. With very quick eyeballing, I'd say the area ratio would be 2x, and so such would be a speed increase. But if that was the case, with such airspeeds, the air would start to fall into a compressible regime, so the speed increase would be a bit lower.

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:

I think that some of us (me for sure) do not understand properly effect of the curvature/shape of the main profile, both longitudinal and transversal.
It would be nice if/when you have time (will also :) ) to prepare some post/explanation maybe in the part "Aerodynamics, chassis and tires".
Thank You

dialtone
dialtone

FDD wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

I think that some of us (me for sure) do not understand properly effect of the curvature/shape of the main profile, both longitudinal and transversal.
It would be nice if/when you have time (will also :) ) to prepare some post/explanation maybe in the part "Aerodynamics, chassis and tires".
Thank You
I think what he means is that when the wing wasn’t round at the edge but had fences, airflow couldn’t escape from the plane and simply generated downforce. Now that fences are gone and edges are rounded the spoon attempts at creating an area of the rear wing where air won’t be able to escape, replicating a bit the effect of the fences.

FDD
FDD

dialtone wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:09
FDD wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Thank You
I think what he means is that when the wing wasn’t round at the edge but had fences, airflow couldn’t escape from the plane and simply generated downforce. Now that fences are gone and edges are rounded the spoon attempts at creating an area of the rear wing where air won’t be able to escape, replicating a bit the effect of the fences.
Yes, that is the problem at lest to me, I do not want to be unsure what "he means", I want to fully understand, of course not the details but general principle only.

Andi76
Andi76

f1rules
f1rules

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Either I've slept through some important developments or my eyes are just too tired from work because that second pic above looks like an undercut slit.