2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

That’s a nice helmet. As usually, get rid of some of the sponsor nonsense and it really stands out..

makecry
makecry

"Aston is threatened with a hard end-of-season sprint. "I already said after the first races that we do not have the infrastructure and firepower in the development race like other teams. We try to bring continuous upgrades, but others do it at a higher rate. That's why we are investing in our campus right now," says Krack." via AMuS.

Bruh you guys had --- ton of wind tunnel time, you guys touted how majority of the car would change because of an aggressive development plan. IMO this implies they don't expect to find the gains we hope they would.

alonsofan
alonsofan

KimiRai wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 04:31
Zynerji wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 01:28
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 23:21
Vettel would be interesting.
Mick on loan from Merc?

Vettel/Alonso @ Suzuka would be epic tho...🤯

Did anyone ever explain why Seb wore plain overalls at Nurburgring? Even with the other ex-RBR drivers wearing RBR overalls? Still have AM ties?
What Aston needs at the moment is to not dream about these things and secure P4 which is not a done deal.

If Lance is not ready for Suzuka then that's a shame, I thought he wasn't going to be too bad there. One of the weirdest things about this season from Stroll is that he was closer when he had pain & was recovering from his injuries which is completely counterintuitive. Only explanation I can find is that over the course of the season the car has gotten worse and trickier to drive and that could have increased the differences between the drivers.

I also find it amusing how true the "you are only as good as your last race" statement is. Fernando does one of the greatest races of his career in my opinion in Zandvoort and it was all smiles and fanfare from the pundits, then comes Singapore with a worse execution influenced by a damaged car and all of a sudden Fernando's too old according to DC (throwing stones in glass houses much) or Lance is masking Fernando's shortcomings or whatever. Not on this forum in particular thankfully. Similar thing has happened with Sainz for example, earlier this season some Ferrari fans were asking for him to be gone and now look at him beating Leclerc mostly on merit, probably those who asked for his replacement don't even remember they did. Too much short sightedness in F1.
Alonso is god. Could have easily retired the car, but fought until the last lap, that too in one of the most grueling races on the calendar.
As far as him getting old is concerned, he matched Ocon at Alpine. Maybe he should tell DC like the other commentator on live TV, that he is a 2 time champion, and who is DC :D :D :D If DC keeps it up, he might aswell get it.

diffuser

makecry wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 23:51
"Aston is threatened with a hard end-of-season sprint. "I already said after the first races that we do not have the infrastructure and firepower in the development race like other teams. We try to bring continuous upgrades, but others do it at a higher rate. That's why we are investing in our campus right now," says Krack." via AMuS.

Bruh you guys had --- ton of wind tunnel time, you guys touted how majority of the car would change because of an aggressive development plan. IMO this implies they don't expect to find the gains we hope they would.
It hasn't looked good, that for sure.

peewon

makecry wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 23:51

I made a comment back in May about the whether AM will be able to develop the car effectively or not...
peewon wrote:
17 May 2023, 19:07
Im very interested to see how much AM technical dept. can develop this car. No doubt Fallows is the main man behind the design but he came with a lot of insight from RB/Newey. It'll be interesting to see where they can go once they move beyond that knowledge. That'll determine whether the great leap they made at the start of this season was a one off or an indicator of sustained rise towards the top.
What I really wanted to say was that I was worried about Fallows comments he made about the rules being "too complicated" and "too rigid to allow conceptual innovation" but it would have come off as overly pessimistic at a time AM was doing well.

Fallows comments:

https://www.racefans.net/2023/04/26/fal ... formula-1/

To me it was an obvious giveaway that they dont have a direction for development of the car. No technical person who has some exciting developments in the pipeline will come out and say stuff like that.

Krack again mentioned rules in August and I said something similar back then...

viewtopic.php?p=1154254#p1154254

But at that time people were holding out hope on the basis of track specificity or the weather not favoring AM's car and all that. If you read between the lines this has been obvious for a while that AM is struggling for a direction of the car.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 05:53
What I really wanted to say was that I was worried about Fallows comments he made about the rules being "too complicated" and "too rigid to allow conceptual innovation" but it would have come off as overly pessimistic at a time AM was doing well.
Don't get why rules are so strict now that there's a budget cap and aero restrictions in place, they should open the regs. Who knows what Fallows had in mind, now I'm curious.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 07:10
peewon wrote:
Don't get why rules are so strict now that there's a budget cap and aero restrictions in place, they should open the regs. Who knows what Fallows had in mind, now I'm curious.
In order to promote close racing, you have to minimize the dirty air produced by the leading car so that the downforce loss isnt too much or the trailing car. To achieve this, you have to restrict certain types of aero solutions such as bargeboards which generated a lot of dirty air. That's the basic premise as to why the rules are the way they are.

And whether they are too restrictive or not is a separate argument. But they are the same for everyone. Usually the teams that end up complaining about it are the ones not doing so well with them.

collindsilva
collindsilva

Seems the clamp down on flexi front wing and changes to tires have heavily disrupted their development path, Since the cars are very sensitive to changes in aerodynamics and considering they have just started on the new facility the level of updates and development is not achieved. However, it will be worthwhile for 1 driver to revert to launch spec in order to understand the difference and limitations.

organic

KimiRai
KimiRai

Fabrega says they took the wing off and set the jack on standard configuration. So no diffuser wing anymore? We'll have to wait until tomorrow to confirm

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso:
"It [car damage] certainly wasn't helping. We know how much it affected, we won't share that data but it was significant. I'm a little less worried about the performance in Singapore after seeing the damage we had. The pace wasn't what it really was, without that we might have been able to keep up with the leaders and we would have had less problems with the Alpines and Perez. When you're not fast you get into a lot of trouble," said Alonso at Suzuka. Do you know when that damage was generated? "Yes, it's private".
"At high speed we were not the best at most circuits, so we are worried for Suzuka; but at Zandvoort at high load we fought for the podium. I hope it will be one of those, a positive surprise with a good, clean weekend for the team. In Monza we were ninth, in Singapore there were no points... after two bad races we need a good one. And also for Lance, we will try to have the best weekend," said Fernando.
Krack:
“There are still some things to come over the next races, and at the same time develop the new car.”

issey
issey

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 07:10
peewon wrote:
Sounds like a quote from Newey.

KimiRai
KimiRai

According to a source they were supposed to bring a front wing to Singapore but they didn't, maybe it was a lack of time, and that we could see it in the next races. There's one photo in Suzuka which shows a wing seemingly different than the previous version at least in the arrangement of the brackets, with these located nearer to the outside like -wkst- says, but anyways we'll find out tomorrow if there's really any changes.