2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sherrinford
Sherrinford

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

I want to see who at 42 has the desire to qualify with a car that barely fights for points, knowing that last year in the first part you were constantly fighting against the best. I don't think there is any justification for such a sudden decline in the car for 2 years now

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

Are all of you talking about the one that gapped Stroll 15 seconds in less than 20 laps five days ago? Really?

For me there's no doubt that today there's a difference in both cars setup.

Many of you have been a couple years saying that age is catching on Alonso. No matter all the times Alonso proved he's still a top driver... You keep on your nonsense.

Nikosar
Nikosar

There is nothing to expect until the Hungarian Grand Prix or maybe until September to see significant changes. It look like the Vettel era when he was trying to invent something, trying improbable set-ups to improve a few teeths and some time end up with a worse set-up. It is a P10 car in the best conditions so in normal/bad conditions, it is worse.

We just have to wait for new improvements.

jofs89
jofs89

Sedaxel wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:34
Are all of you talking about the one that gapped Stroll 15 seconds in less than 20 laps five days ago? Really?

Many of you have been a couple years saying that age is catching on Alonso. No matter all the times Alonso proved he's still a top driver... You keep on your nonsense.
Mate, I'm a big Alonso fan. It's only an observation. I can't remember the last time he has looked this ordinary over a number of races. It is unusual in the context of his career. I have never expressed this sentiment before because frankly I've never thought it before.

Yes, the car is a dog, but usually that increases the gap between Alonso and his teammates, not decreases it. As he's obviously a master of driving around problems.

Even as an ardent fan of his you must admit it is usual. There could obviously be completely logical explanations e.g. testing different setups, Alonso possibly even pushing things too far with an non-complaint car, possibly even underperforming on purpose to put pressure on the technical department to improve...who knows. But would say he's clearly been objectively worse the second half of this season.

SSJ4
SSJ4

he was slower in speed traps by 6-7kph compared to FP1. assuming setup related. still think we will finish p9-10 in race. alpine is a tractor on straights

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

Sedaxel wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 17:34

Cult mentality, here we go again.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Braked/lifted earlier than Stroll in most corners and nervous with the throttle in turns 6/7. Also what I can see from the video evidence in turn 3 he missed the apex a bit and traction wasn't the best, even though according to telemetry he didn't end up losing (maybe Stroll wasn't optimal there too?) Stroll might have got a tow before turn 3.
Clearly less confident with the car. You can make the case both Astons could have gone into SQ3, especially Stroll with the big mistake at the end

I will personally wait until car performance and balance improves before judging him too much, but if that happens and he continues to get beaten then Alonso's age will inevitably be called into question

Full lap video:

Nikosar
Nikosar

KimiRai wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 21:17
Braked/lifted earlier than Stroll in most corners and nervous with the throttle in turns 6/7. Also what I can see from the video evidence in turn 3 he missed the apex a bit and traction wasn't the best, even though according to telemetry he didn't end up losing (maybe Stroll wasn't optimal there too?) Stroll might have got a tow before turn 3.
Clearly less confident with the car. You can make the case both Astons could have gone into SQ3, especially Stroll with the big mistake at the end

https://i.imgur.com/D52015y.png

I will personally wait until car performance and balance improves before judging him too much, but if that happens and he continues to get beaten then Alonso's age will inevitably be called into question

Full lap video:

Age is not a factor for Alonso, apart from the miss in turn 3, from the video you can see that he got the most out of the car. I mean, even with that corner, the lap time wouldn't have changed much. The car is too difficult to drive + has no performance.

We have to say also that we hates sprints formats so much, he said that at every interview :D

+ Some Spanish media are saying that the flex wing will be back in Hungary

organic

Nikosar wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 21:52
KimiRai wrote:
28 Jun 2024, 21:17

https://i.imgur.com/D52015y.png

Full lap video:

Age is not a factor for Alonso, apart from the miss in turn 3, from the video you can see that he got the most out of the car. I mean, even with that corner, the lap time wouldn't have changed much. The car is too difficult to drive + has no performance.

We have to say also that we hates sprints formats so much, he said that at every interview :D

+ Some Spanish media are saying that the flex wing will be back in Hungary
Wouldn't be at all surprised. FIA gave all clear to the flexible wings @ Canada - issued new guidance. It was reported by AMuS that they were already working on their own flexiwing when that happened. Hungary will be 6 weeks on from Canada. Reasonable to believe they can get a front wing done in 2 months or so

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso
"We have had an engine problem since the beginning of the week. But this will be the last race with this engine and it had to be used at some point. It's better not to put a good engine in the moment now that we are outside the points, so it's going to be a difficult race.
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/motor/f1 ... iente.html

It didnt seem like he lost time on the straights, but who knows maybe it's a different issue. The gap was certainly abnormal
Last edited by KimiRai on 28 Jun 2024, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ4
SSJ4

Doesn’t matter much rn. Since we don’t have car that’s capable of more than minor points. If things remain the same when the car is capable of a lot. Then I’ll be worried

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

Judge Alonso's performance in a sprint qualifying where the maximum achievable was perhaps barely a 10th place, but seriously?

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

«Tenemos un problema en el motor desde el principio de la semana. Pero esta será la última carrera con este motor y había que utilizarlo en algún momento. Vale más no poner un motor demasiado bueno en estos momentos que no estamos en los puntos, así que será una carrera difícil»

Said by Alonso in Spanish press.

He says that he has a known motor problem and that they decided to use it in this race, since it's the last race to use this motor and they have little to lose.

But hey, the conclusion is that Alonso is old.

Nikosar
Nikosar

Sedaxel wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 00:47
«Tenemos un problema en el motor desde el principio de la semana. Pero esta será la última carrera con este motor y había que utilizarlo en algún momento. Vale más no poner un motor demasiado bueno en estos momentos que no estamos en los puntos, así que será una carrera difícil»

He says that he has a known motor problem and that they decided to use it in this race, since it's the last race to use this motor and they have little to lose.

You made a great non sense conclusion but assuming he's 20, what position would he reach with this car ? it is an age problem that the engine feels good ? much slower then before

diffuser

Sedaxel wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 00:47

Well something was old.