Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Aaronque
Aaronque

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Aaronque
Aaronque

Very nice back-end packaging i have to say

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Looks like they'll have to unpack it to figure out what's wrong with it.

EDIT: Maybe not:-
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/562236486418825216

Felipe 92

190km/h on pit straight reported via AMuS.

Felipe 92

Diesel wrote:Looks like they'll have to unpack it to figure out what's wrong with it.

EDIT: Maybe not:-

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/562236486418825216
Ted Kravitz has arrived back from McLaren to report...

"Progress - of a sort. They have found the problem, it was a relatively small problem with some subsidiary hardware which governs the engine. McLaren won't go into any more detail than that. It could be one of many things, but the good news is that it is not the engine itself. They have replaced the hardware, the car is being put together again, and they hope to be back out in the next hour to an hour and a half. Jenson is biding his time indoors but Fernando Alonso is, amusingly, holding court - and I do mean this is royalty here! - with rally legend Carlos Sainz, his son Carlos Sainz junior and the rest of his entourage in the McLaren motorhome."

emmepi27
emmepi27

Don't know if you already spotted it. Very interesting brake ducts for new Mp4-30 (pic Amus)

Xero

They "think" they've fixed the issue. Looks like they're not entirely sure what the issue is. Fingers crossed!

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

https://twitter.com/hondaracingf1

Honda twatter says "we've located the problem"

PlatinumZealot

Typical Japanese... I bet they put in bespoke control boards (system boards separate and apart from the main system) to manage the new technology they have on the engine. Any machine that I purchase I try to stay away from the ones with too much "controller boards." Sometimes these boards are necessary for high speed processing but they tend to be the first things to fail due to their low production design and little quality testing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Richard
Richard

PlatinumZealot wrote:....
Did you not notice this is an F1 car? Everything is bespoke with production volume in double digits. In case you hadn't noticed testing is rather limited too. Other teams had similar problems last year.

Also the lead designer (French) is from RB (Austrian) who's lead designer (British) also had problems accessing parts that were tightly embedded in the car. Oh, and the previous systems problems were attributed to the Mclaren (British) designed black boxes.

So maybe its just the way of F1 and a team adapting to a new design philosophy branched from RB ... or maybe it's because some of the team have Japanese passports #-o

Chene_Mostert

Mesteño wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:Honda seems as unprepared as Renault was last year, lets just hope they can manage to salvage something like Renault did during 2014.
Far better prepared than Renault imho, at least engine is not having problems. Electronics do.

They're not running full power though.
Unfortunately electronics forms an integral part of the current PU's.... And this "small problem" has now cost then 2 out of 12 days, definitely not where they wanted to be.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

McMrocks
McMrocks

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Postmoe wrote:"Typical japanese"

I think 2015 cars are sufficiently complex on their own to avoid cultural clichés as a source of causality.
How is typically complex Japanese electronics a cultural cliche??
Because made in Japan does not necessarily mean that it is complex

davidsw
davidsw

I wish the new technology and extreme rear package of the MP4-30 is not a repeat of MP4-18 / 19... [-o<

Felipe 92

via SkySportsF1 : The word from McLaren is that they are suffering from the same problem that waylaid the team yesterday. They thought they had discovered a cure for this particular woe overnight but, as the lap count aptly demonstrates, it's returned with a vengeance.

And now they did only one instalation lap.

Richard
Richard

Please remember that this thread is for discussion actual features of the car. The weather, lap times and the colour of Alonso's lucky underpants have been deleted.