Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Fer.Fan wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:30
Fer.Fan wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 21:41
Binotto on new car. Thay can repack sidepods during seasong if needed;

“If you look at the body shape we have got, [it is] quite wide, certainly, we have not filled underbody the full space, so we have got flexibility certainly in the middle of the car, in the bodywork. It’s worth somehow the regulations have got most of the freedom.

“If you look at the regulations it’s quite [prescriptive] on the front wing, on the nose, rear wing but there’s much more flexibility around the bodywork but the way we have packaged our power unit that will leave us some freedom in the future if we do at least at the start if there are other directions that can be promising.”
This interview shows that ferrari are unsure of their concept and are ready to act during the season. Sidepods are WIDE and draggy. Just compare to W13 and RBR18. Packaging of Ferraris PU, bodywork and sidepods, I am concerned…
[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
I wouldn’t read it as “not sure of their concept”… Most teams have said that they’ve come up with concepts that can adapt solutions if needed through the season, regardless of the concept… Similar comments have been made by Aston Martin and McLaren when they launched their cars.

And it’s an smart approach to not go for a concept that can transition during the season, it’s not only about “getting it wrong”, it’s more about what others got really right and how quick you could implement a similar solution in your car… With the amount of engineers and designers on every team, it is expected that someone will come up with something interesting that you may not have thought about, a flexible concept allows you to do integrate someone else’s solution easier.

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

wowgr8 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:26
I highly doubt it's mid season. Ferrari aren't the type to bring a b-car or change a car around drastically mid season. If these sidepods don't work the change will come next year
F60B and F10B : allow us to introduce ourserlves

One and Only

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:38
Fer.Fan wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:

“If you look at the body shape we have got, [it is] quite wide, certainly, we have not filled underbody the full space, so we have got flexibility certainly in the middle of the car, in the bodywork. It’s worth somehow the regulations have got most of the freedom.

“If you look at the regulations it’s quite [prescriptive] on the front wing, on the nose, rear wing but there’s much more flexibility around the bodywork but the way we have packaged our power unit that will leave us some freedom in the future if we do at least at the start if there are other directions that can be promising.”
This interview shows that ferrari are unsure of their concept and are ready to act during the season. Sidepods are WIDE and draggy. Just compare to W13 and RBR18. Packaging of Ferraris PU, bodywork and sidepods, I am concerned…
[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
I wouldn’t read it as “not sure of their concept”… Most teams have said that they’ve come up with concepts that can adapt solutions if needed through the season, regardless of the concept… Similar comments have been made by Aston Martin and McLaren when they launched their cars.

And it’s an smart approach to not go for a concept that can transition during the season, it’s not only about “getting it wrong”, it’s more about what others got really right and how quick you could implement a similar solution in your car… With the amount of engineers and designers on every team, it is expected that someone will come up with something interesting that you may not have thought about, a flexible concept allows you to do integrate someone else’s solution easier.
I think that might be the smart approach since we have budget cap and one of the biggest tech rules change in decades. Such combo can serve 5 championships to a single team. If you get things very wrong now it will be really hard to recover.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

the EDGE
the EDGE

NtsParadize wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:39
wowgr8 wrote:
I highly doubt it's mid season. Ferrari aren't the type to bring a b-car or change a car around drastically mid season. If these sidepods don't work the change will come next year
I think given Budget constraints, both financial & resources, B-spec cars are maybe a thing of the past

f1316
f1316

It sounds to me like a team who are thinking in terms of, if you like, agile rather than waterfall. Test, iterate but build your infrastructure in such a way that it’s adaptable by design - the modular nose tells a similar story.

JPower
JPower

Fer.Fan wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Don't know how you derived all of that from two quotes.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

JPower wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:12
Fer.Fan wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Don't know how you derived all of that from two quotes.
Definitely some F1Twitter / journalism level of twisting right there.

It behooves all the teams to have some modularity. I bet all the cars look quite a bit different by mid season than they will starting out.

ferkan
ferkan

Fer.Fan wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Not like Ferrari didn't packag last years car tightly, with short, downwash sidepods. I am pretty sure they checked both design directions considering they moved cooling from top and put it back in sidepods (while Haas has gone with heavy downwash and alot of floor visible).

FDD
FDD

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:15
https://i.imgur.com/u1Q46XB.png

nice angle on that shallow undercut at the floor
https://i.imgur.com/YUK2jg9.png
It looks like they have "double nose" similar as on SF21.

McMika98
McMika98

Fer.Fan wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
The undercut concept does look too draggy, they will be sitting ducks in the straight for the likes of Mercedes, Redbull, McLaren and dare I say Williams now. Previously you could get away with having the extra downforce and going faster in a corner but this aero reg is meant to make following easier.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

The sheer amount of surface area of the Ferrari vs the rest I find concerning. Unless they’ve strapped a Saturn rocket in the back I just can’t understand how it won’t be slow in a straight line.

Then considering the amount of air available to flow freely over the diffuser to increase its suction. It appears just fundamentally to be significantly less than other concepts (eg Mercedes’, Williams, AT, redbull (expected).

I HOPE as a Ferrari fan that they’ve somehow understood better than the others how to power up the important components this season - the floor, the diffuser, the beam wing. However, odds are against us based on what we’ve seen so far. There are smart people in every team assessing every possible concept. When all those smart peoples ideas (somewhat) converge, it suggests something.

Again please don’t bash me. I don’t have a high technical knowledge and I am a Ferrari fan through and through and want this to succeed. I just… can’t reconcile their Choices vs those that have been objectively the best in the previous seasons (merc, redbull).

mwillems

JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 02:08
The sheer amount of surface area of the Ferrari vs the rest I find concerning. Unless they’ve strapped a Saturn rocket in the back I just can’t understand how it won’t be slow in a straight line.

Then considering the amount of air available to flow freely over the diffuser to increase its suction. It appears just fundamentally to be significantly less than other concepts (eg Mercedes’, Williams, AT, redbull (expected).

I HOPE as a Ferrari fan that they’ve somehow understood better than the others how to power up the important components this season - the floor, the diffuser, the beam wing. However, odds are against us based on what we’ve seen so far. There are smart people in every team assessing every possible concept. When all those smart peoples ideas (somewhat) converge, it suggests something.

Again please don’t bash me. I don’t have a high technical knowledge and I am a Ferrari fan through and through and want this to succeed. I just… can’t reconcile their Choices vs those that have been objectively the best in the previous seasons (merc, redbull).
Those were my first thoughts. it is a high drag car from the looks of it but the two unknowns are how well the air does travel to the rear and how much power does the engine have. if it does indeed produce a lot of downforce then perhaps it is worth it. RB have typically gone for downforce over speed and it has worked very well for them as a concept.

But I shared your thoughts when I saw the ferrari for the first time, and when the Mercedes was released with almost no sidepods and the tunnel entrance of the floor forged into a crude bargeboard - one of my thoughts was how will the Italian team react to this? Having gone for such an unconventional design to avoid this solution that many thought to be part of last years regs and not this years.

I think the Ferrari is stunning and I hope it does well (Although not as well as the Mclaren!) but I'm not optimistic for it's future. But, who knows, maybe it will win every race!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JPower
JPower

I’ll upgrade to CFD eyes one of these days. :lol:

EDIT:

Let me expound for a little bit. It is entirely possible Ferrari's car is not the answer to best perform under the new regulations. It's also entirely possible that there are much different ways about extracting maximum performance from this ruleset. To think that Ferrari hadn't explored at the very least, the conservative undercut sidepod arrangement by Alfa/Aston(which Giorgio Piola said would be the most conservative and easiest to implement design) or the 2021-style small sidepods with a tapered rear favored by Williams/Mercedes/McLaren seems unreasonable given that Binotto said they ran through various different concepts over the past couple of years. Especially the latter, considering the the SF21 used a similar setup with small, downwashing sidepods, a narrow rear, and some centerline cooling.

I'd rather give Ferrari the benefit of the doubt that they know exactly why they made the decisions they instead of expecting a clone of the other cars. I'm not making any bets right now but I do think the level of sophistication behind the design of this car is very high(outside of the Mercedes I haven't seen anything close) and most likely they've done some done things that are seemingly counterintuitive.

So let's chill on the "everything is wrong because other teams aren't doing it" for now.

mwillems

JPower wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 02:31
I’ll upgrade to CFD eyes one of these days. :lol:

EDIT:

Let me expound for a little bit. It is entirely possible Ferrari's car is not the answer to best perform under the new regulations. It's also entirely possible that there are much different ways about extracting maximum performance from this ruleset. To think that Ferrari hadn't explored at the very least, the conservative undercut sidepod arrangement by Alfa/Aston(which Giorgio Piola said would be the most conservative and easiest to implement design) or the 2021-style small sidepods with a tapered rear favored by Williams/Mercedes/McLaren seems unreasonable given that Binotto said they ran through various different concepts over the past couple of years. Especially the latter, considering the the SF21 used a similar setup with small, downwashing sidepods, a narrow rear, and some centerline cooling.

I'd rather give Ferrari the benefit of the doubt that they know exactly why they made the decisions they instead of expecting a clone of the other cars. I'm not making any bets right now but I do think the level of sophistication behind the design of this car is very high(outside of the Mercedes I haven't seen anything close) and most likely they've done some done things that are seemingly counterintuitive.

So let's chill on the "everything is wrong because other teams aren't doing it" for now.
Everything is wrong is not what I said, benefit of the doubt is what I gave when I said it could be the right concept and perhaps they will win every race :)

But in my opinion it appears a little draggy that is all. Whether it turns out to be the right solution remains to be seen and I'm open to it. If it produces a lot of downforce as a result and as a bonus the engine has a nice boost then it is a very good idea! Like I said, there are unknowns and I look forward to seeing.

No CFD eyes here :)
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Zynerji

the EDGE wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:41
NtsParadize wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:39
wowgr8 wrote:
I think given Budget constraints, both financial & resources, B-spec cars are maybe a thing of the past
I think it depends on the rule stability. If 2023 is identical rules, it could theoretically mean a team can move all of next year's car parts to the current year (B spec) and be compliant.