Silly Season 2011 Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Silly Season 2011 Thread

I see no reason to oust the Hulk. He's maturing quite nicely and has been starting to match if not outperform his more experienced teammate
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Re: Kubica at Ferrari in 2011?

To be fair usually in the past Alonso has never made many mistakes. This year he's probably done more mistakes than he ever has through his entire career
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

No, of course not ... Alonso has never made any mistakes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJaZ9I-556w[/youtube]
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I have no reason to see Hulkenberg being not at Williams next year. The guy has had a relitivly quiet and unspectacular rookie season. He is now coming good, and is someone that the Williams team has spent alot of time and effort bringing into the sport.

However, on the case of Maldanado, i am looking at him and thinking the fact he has a rumored $20M to spend on a drive next year means that the Hispania rout may bode well for him, with a good experienced driver next to him, as i am looking at the HRT situation and think it could be Klien and a good/young pay driver next year for them.

I am also thinking that the only 2 decent race seats left outside the Renault second seat are the ones at Team Lotus (beside Kovalinenn) and Force India (beside Sutil), i see a good 8 or so drivers in for those seats, those drivers include; Senna/Chandhok/Heidfeld/Liuzzi/Di Resta/D'Ambrosio/Maldanado/Fauzy and probably more. Looking at that list makes me wonder if the rumors about Trulli retiring could be where Heidfeld would just need for a reset to his career.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

gridwalker wrote:No, of course not ... Alonso has never made any mistakes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJaZ9I-556w[youtube]
I don't think anyone claimed he hadn't made any mistakes.

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:To be fair usually in the past Alonso has never made many mistakes. This year he's probably done more mistakes than he ever has through his entire career
But Massa also is not doing too much.
If you take 2008 Hamilton definitely had more "moments".
It's not like to be champion you can't have mistakes.

ackzsel

Gerhard Berger wrote:

I don't think anyone claimed he hadn't made any mistakes.
Also, that's quite some years ago. Alonso was still developing himself as a mature racing driver.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Giblet wrote:
andrew wrote:Heidfeld has had his chance. He has been in F1 for for several years and a top team has yet to come knocking.

With an established driver like Raikkonen and an up and coming talen like Petrov (I don't care what anyone says about Petrov but there have been flashes of talent in his rookie season) loitering Heidfeld doesn't have a chance.

Many said the same thing about Jenson Button, but he had his chance with Brawn, and grabbed it with both hands winning the championship.

Heidfeld is a good enough driver to do the same thing with the right team. I can't see him doing any worse than Webber at Red Bull, or Button at Mclaren. I'm also quite sure he could be better in a Ferrari than Massa.

Like him or not, he can bring the car home consistently, and was able to be quite a challenge for the most part to the highly rated Kubica.

I could even see him doing a better job than that Schumacher character.

I guess I'm just saying that he hasn't really had his chance yet.
The thing with Button was (apart from 1 fluke win) he did nothing spectacular until MrM gifted Brawn the double diffuser.

Bringing the car home is fine for a midifield runner but given the alternative drivers available, I maintain that Heidfeld has had his chance. His future is in a testing role I feel.

multisync
multisync

Speaking to a few it seems FI are resigned to seeing Sutil in a Renault next year -nothing certain just the general feeling

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

If Force India loose Sutil to renault next year, id expect to see them go for a team of Heidfeld/Chandhok posibly, leaving Di Resta out in the cold again, posibly.

I doubt that Liuzzi will have his 2011 option envoked, early 2010 promice just hasnt came into the mid and late season points that it should have. Liuzzi has only scored 21.7% of Force Indias 60 points, and for that team, they should have 2 guys that can score the points as close as 50/50 as posible. Heidfeld would be able to score points quite well, and Chandhok would be there to support and score points where he can, but a points split for FI should be arround 60/40 ideally.

For Sutil it would be finally a car and a team to prove that he is one of the better drivers in the mid-feild. Personally i can see Petrov at Renault for 2011, but it depends on the next 2 performances as most teams will be trying to get their tallent in place for Abu Dhabi for the Pirelli tests if they can, and if the teams are willing to sever contracts mutually before the standard January 1st date line. The teams that have the drivers in place and testing 2011 rubber with 2010 machenery will have a massive advantage going to 2011 i feel!!!

sticky667
sticky667

andrew wrote:
Giblet wrote:
andrew wrote:Heidfeld has had his chance. He has been in F1 for for several years and a top team has yet to come knocking.

With an established driver like Raikkonen and an up and coming talen like Petrov (I don't care what anyone says about Petrov but there have been flashes of talent in his rookie season) loitering Heidfeld doesn't have a chance.

Many said the same thing about Jenson Button, but he had his chance with Brawn, and grabbed it with both hands winning the championship.

Heidfeld is a good enough driver to do the same thing with the right team. I can't see him doing any worse than Webber at Red Bull, or Button at Mclaren. I'm also quite sure he could be better in a Ferrari than Massa.

Like him or not, he can bring the car home consistently, and was able to be quite a challenge for the most part to the highly rated Kubica.

I could even see him doing a better job than that Schumacher character.

I guess I'm just saying that he hasn't really had his chance yet.
The thing with Button was (apart from 1 fluke win) he did nothing spectacular until MrM gifted Brawn the double diffuser.

Bringing the car home is fine for a midifield runner but given the alternative drivers available, I maintain that Heidfeld has had his chance. His future is in a testing role I feel.
Button has always been good but was shadowed by the horrible performance of the Benetton/Renault and Honda Era cars. He was 3rd best in the BAR Honda behind the dominant 2004 Ferraris of Schu and Barr. 2005 was a transition in the B.A.R. management and team and the buyout of Honda in 2006 must've seemed like a step in the right direction. He was fairly consistent with a handful of podiums throughout the year and in 07/08 Honda lost complete face and was kicking about the back end until the Brawn buyout. I imagine the money was more the driving force in 07/08 than anything else.

He was also plagued by his management in the early years and was caught up in all kinds of legal trouble with multiple contracts etc.

sknguy
sknguy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJaZ9I-556w[/youtube]
Whether intended as an ironic hyperbole or simple sarcastic embelishment, I see no error in cresting a hill of what's esentially a blind corner at race speed and happening upon accident debris you've had little time to react to. Perhaps you should've found a mistake of his own doing. Fuji '07 maybe?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsMoktU88GE[/youtube]

BTW: Can't see Massa losing out for Kubica in 2011. Maybe 2011 and a half if Massa doesn't pick up the pace (which he probably would). Massa seems like someone who channels his frustrations positively. And I think wanting to be taken seriously was his motivation in '08. I think he responds well to reverse psychology. So, I suspect di Montezemolo's challenging him as the no.1 is a good thing.

raymondu999

raymondu999 wrote:To be fair usually in the past Alonso has never made many mistakes. This year he's probably done more mistakes than he ever has through his entire career
Pardon. What I meant was "has rarely made many mistakes"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

sknguy wrote:Whether intended as an ironic hyperbole or simple sarcastic embelishment, I see no error in cresting a hill of what's esentially a blind corner at race speed and happening upon accident debris you've had little time to react to.
My intention was a little of column A and a little of column B, plus a dash of wanting to ruffle the feathers of Alonso Fans, but there was a still BIG error in going through a blind corner at racing speeds under waved yellow conditions : I remember watching that race and there was plenty of time between Webber's initial accident and Alonso ploughing into the wreckage (Alonso was reprimanded, so the stewards obviously thought so too) but Alonso kept going at race pace regardless ...

Still, enough of that : I only posted that video because I was having a stressful day and wanted to play wind up merchant for 5 minutes ;)

Personally, I think that Kubica is going nowhere : He'll never get the No 1 attention that all drivers crave by going to Ferrari. His own best interests will be served by becoming an undisputed number one and only moving when he can be afforded that same luxury elsewhere.

How many drivers have see their career wrecked by playing second fiddle to Alonso? Peter Rabbit would be wise to stay away from Mr McGregor's chicken coop ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Toro Rosso have confirmed Algersuari and Buemi for next year:
Q. Another question to you all about the young driver test at Abu Dhabi. What drivers are you going to run there and are you evaluating them potentially for inclusion in the team?

FT:
We will test in Abu Dhabi Jean-Eric Vergnes. He is a French driver, 20-years-old. He won this year the English Formula Three Championship and was also good in Silverstone when he raced in the Renault World Series. He won the first race and in the second race he finished second and I am very much looking forward to testing him in Abu Dhabi. But next year our driver line-up will be with Jaime Alguersuari and Sébastien Buemi.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87281