2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CHT
CHT

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Big boost for GR going into Silvestone and also LHs first home race since signing for Ferrari.

With Merc now ahead of Ferrari LH must be wondering if he has made the right call.

ToffeeTyres
ToffeeTyres

ToffeeTyres wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:12
justin2102 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:59
Jdn1327 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:37
I gotta say, after watching that race I think Ferrari have done us a favour taking Lewis off our hands. No pace, no hunger...leading to car damaging mistakes and poor performances. Man is past his sell by...Time to get some real talent back into the car. George is a rightful team leader.
Amen to that brother. At first i was worried we as a team were finished after he abandoned ship but after the recent performances by George well, Good riddance
Listen to you! You’re not proper fans. Only support when they’re winning hey! Hamilton had damage easily done if he didn’t have damage or had to give place back to , then the 5 second penalty which was a bit harsh. I’m sure he would have been ahead of Russell Lewis was all over him at the start. He got the best he could with damage and time penalty 4th place. Stop complaining.

ToffeeTyres
ToffeeTyres

ToffeeTyres wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:13
ToffeeTyres wrote:
justin2102 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:59

Amen to that brother. At first i was worried we as a team were finished after he abandoned ship but after the recent performances by George well, Good riddance
Listen to you! You’re not proper fans. Only support when they’re winning hey! Hamilton had damage easily done if he didn’t have damage or had to give place back to Sainz plus the the 5 second penalty which was a bit harsh. I’m sure he would have been ahead of Russell Lewis was all over him at the start. He got the best he could with damage and time penalty 4th place. Stop complaining.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:49
mkay wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 16:46
Absolutely shocking race by Hamilton, damage or not. He keeps picking up damage in Austria year after year. That 5-second penalty was the nail in the coffin.
Big mistake with the pit lane for sure but i think he could have still gotten a podium with the 5 sec penalty if not for the floor damage, it was picked up on turn 8, a curb everyone was riding, didnt seem like it was a driver error but yea for some reason he doesnt really do well around here
Hamilton's car was very low in qualifying, lower than Russell. Merc didn't choose a race-able setup for his car. You can't "ride T8" and also be the lowest car in the paddock. They would have needed to raise it, making him slower.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 30 Jun 2024, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Luscion
Luscion

CHT wrote:
With Merc now ahead of Ferrari LH must be wondering if he has made the right call.
https://www.gpfans.com/us/f1-news/10238 ... esurgence/

CHT
CHT

Luscion wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:16
CHT wrote:
https://www.gpfans.com/us/f1-news/10238 ... esurgence/
LH look like he is going through difficult time and Toto even have to pep talk him mid way of the race to keep him going after the penalty.

Dunlay
Dunlay

CHT wrote:
Big boost for GR going into Silvestone and also LHs first home race since signing for Ferrari.

Given the fact that Mercedes didn't offer a long term contract, I don't think Lewis had a great choice. So he did what was best in the given scenario. He wants to be in F1 for some more time and aspires to win another title, while it might not be a rational thought process given the age and the rise of the young drivers who are reaching their prime. Even if he had got a long term contract at Mercedes, he wouldn't be winning a title against George, even if Mercedes came out with a winner in 2025 or 2026. That's just how human body goes.

SKYnRacing24

Indeed which brings the question of retirement. I dont want to see this version of Lewis in Ferrari. He looks like a shadow of his former self and can't maximise weekends consistently. This is the inevitable decline of a driver. The fact he's locked in to 26 and being in his 40s i just can't see how this will be a positive tenture. He's confirming why Merc and Ferrari don't need him. Brutal when you think about it. Ive always believed if he won in 21 he would of retired
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Luscion
Luscion

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:48
Indeed which brings the question of retirement. I dont want to see this version of Lewis in Ferrari. He looks like a shadow of his former self and can't maximise weekends consistently. This is the inevitable decline of a driver. The fact he's locked in to 26 and being in his 40s i just can't see how this will be a positive tenture. He's confirming why Merc and Ferrari don't need him. Brutal when you think about it. Ive always believed if he won in 21 he would of retired
the guy finished p4 with a damaged car, only being outqualified by Russell by less than a tenth, got a podium last week and people are talking about retirement? imagine if he was performing like Perez. He also had really good season last year

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Luscion wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:55
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
the guy finished p4 with a damaged car, only being outqualified by Russell by less than a tenth, got a podium last week and people are talking about retirement? imagine if he was performing like Perez. He also had really good season last year
People has so insanely short memories. If Lewis would manage to bag a win at Silverstone, they will say that Mercedes made a massive mistake by not offering a long term contract, Russell is not a team leader. Rinse and repeat, over and over.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Tvetovnato wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:06
Luscion wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
People has so insanely short memories. If Lewis would manage to bag a win at Silverstone, they will say that Mercedes made a massive mistake by not offering a long term contract, Russell is not a team leader. Rinse and repeat, over and over.
Yet, the 1 Sprint win and 2 race wins that Mercedes has in this era of regulations, has come from Russell.

SKYnRacing24

Luscion wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:

Damage he caused himself by going over a sausage curb. His qualy has been close in terms of laptime but his overall race pace advantage that made him a threat (Yes even in 2022) is non existent this year. Its obvious he's on a downward spiral and ive been following him since 2006. He's abilities behind the wheel are too inconsistent, you can pick out great performances these last few years but ask yourself this. When was the last time he maximised a whole weekend? Great in practice, great in qualifying and great in the race. He's too hot and cold these days to mount a sustained challenge, I don't believe he can win a title with Ferrari and beat a fast Leclerc thats all smoke and mirrors to me atm.

In some ways im glad Hamilton is moving to another team to hopefully refresh his batteries. Merc have moved on and Russell's win and general pace this season has made the departure validated and that will irk Hamilton as the isolated kid in the classroom. Everyone in the top 3 teams since 2022 have won a race apart from Hamilton. Its just not good enough for someone of his pedigree.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:34
Luscion wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:

Damage he caused himself by going over a sausage curb. His qualy has been close in terms of laptime but his overall race pace advantage that made him a threat (Yes even in 2022) is non existent this year. Its obvious he's on a downward spiral and ive been following him since 2006. He's abilities behind the wheel are too inconsistent, you can pick out great performances these last few years but ask yourself this. When was the last time he maximised a whole weekend? Great in practice, great in qualifying and great in the race. He's too hot and cold these days to mount a sustained challenge, I don't believe he can win a title with Ferrari and beat a fast Leclerc thats all smoke and mirrors to me atm.

In some ways im glad Hamilton is moving to another team to hopefully refresh his batteries. Merc have moved on and Russell's win and general pace this season has made the departure validated and that will irk Hamilton as the isolated kid in the classroom. Everyone in the top 3 teams since 2022 have won a race apart from Hamilton. Its just not good enough for someone of his pedigree.

Yep. You have to look at the whole body of work of the last few years not just this weekend or how well he did last weekend. HE's had plenty of chances to get a win since the start of 22" and he has failed. The decline is real and there is no point denying it. You're also setting your expectations too high if you think Hamilton is stil anywhere near his peak. Leclerc is probably going to put the final nail in the coffin. And Ferrari is ruthless, if they feel you're underperforming they will sack you, just like they did to Vettel. Father time waits for noone unfortunately. it's always sad to see the great ones lose their touch. But it happens in every sport and it will happen to everyone on the grid. Sad but we have to keep it real.

SKYnRacing24

Hammerfist wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:55
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
Luscion wrote:

Yep. You have to look at the whole body of work of the last few years not just this weekend or how well he did last weekend. HE's had plenty of chances to get a win since the start of 22" and he has failed. The decline is real and there is no point denying it. You're also setting your expectations too high if you think Hamilton is stil anywhere near his peak. Leclerc is probably going to put the final nail in the coffin. And Ferrari is ruthless, if they feel you're underperforming they will sack you, just like they did to Vettel. Father time waits for noone unfortunately. it's always sad to see the great ones lose their touch. But it happens in every sport and it will happen to everyone on the grid. Sad but we have to keep it real.
Absolutely nailed it. Its why alot of Hamilton fans and even myself at times are struggling with his decline. He's only human but i still look forward to seing him in red. This year however will be a slog but the car is getting better so theres hope he can pull a win at least

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SKYnRacing24 wrote:

Damage he caused himself by going over a sausage curb.
Hamilton's car was ridiculously low based on qualifying. As Luscion said, other cars used these curbs no different to Hamilton. I think Mercedes risked too much with the setup, just like COTA 2023 where they failed the post race plank inspection because the car was too low.