Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

esbjornzon wrote:Just heard from the Swedish broadcasters that Button is trying out a new electronical brakebalance adjuster that isn't really working that well. Any more info on this?
Electronic systems are banned for use in brake system.

PaulB

timbo wrote:
esbjornzon wrote:Just heard from the Swedish broadcasters that Button is trying out a new electronical brakebalance adjuster that isn't really working that well. Any more info on this?
Are You sure?
I know, that very much electronic systems are forbidden, but also in brake system. To adjust the brake balance also? I thought there is a switcher on the steering wheel?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

esbjornzon
esbjornzon

PaulB wrote:
timbo wrote:
Are You sure?
I know, that very much electronic systems are forbidden, but also in brake system. To adjust the brake balance also? I thought there is a switcher on the steering wheel?
Yeah, I thought so too. MGP uses a lever on the left hand side for example. The broadcasters said that it has more front bias at the first part of the brakingzone because of more aerodynamic grip and then it switched gradually towards more rear brake bias.

timbo
timbo

PaulB wrote:
timbo wrote:
Are You sure?
Since 2001 braking systems have to be 100% mechanical. There was electrical brake balance changing system on Ferrari F1-2000 that was steering wheel operated, but since then it is done by lever in a cockpit.

PaulB

timbo wrote:
PaulB wrote:
timbo wrote:[...]
Are You sure?
Since 2001 braking systems have to be 100% mechanical. There was electrical brake balance changing system on Ferrari F1-2000 that was steering wheel operated, but since then it is done by lever in a cockpit.
Thanks!
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

King Six
King Six

It's why with the (TV) telemetry you never see any graduation like you do with the throttle, with braking. It's just on/off. Abit of a bummer really, it would be great to see how these guys manipulate the brakes, there's so much to it, arguably more than throttle manipulation.

timbo
timbo

King Six wrote:It's why with the (TV) telemetry you never see any graduation like you do with the throttle, with braking. It's just on/off. Abit of a bummer really, it would be great to see how these guys manipulate the brakes, there's so much to it, arguably more than throttle manipulation.
No, I don't think that's the case. Teams do have detailed info on throttle pedal displacement.
Somebody argued it is because you can't calibrate brake pedal as accurately as throttle, because there's no "full-on" brake pedal technically.
Anyway, it can be done — look here from 0:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TAA0FDQ ... re=related

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

At the end of the day, brake systems are purely mechanical in F1, thats why the controls are in the cockpit and not on the steering wheel, it's in the regulations.

aral
aral

Diesel wrote:At the end of the day, brake systems are purely mechanical in F1, thats why the controls are in the cockpit and not on the steering wheel, it's in the regulations.
And I thought that hydraulic brakes were used. :P :P :P

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

gilgen wrote:
Diesel wrote:At the end of the day, brake systems are purely mechanical in F1, thats why the controls are in the cockpit and not on the steering wheel, it's in the regulations.
And I thought that hydraulic brakes were used. :P :P :P
It's still moving parts...

ringo

The car is really third best.
Ferrari have outdone them again.
For Sure!!

kalinka
kalinka

ringo wrote:The car is really third best.
Ferrari have outdone them again.
Indeed. I never thougth in mid-season that they can win the catchup game against McLaren. It was real surprise to see Hamilton suffering so much on soft tyres. Something is lost in the development process. It was much better seeing McLaren low down in Q3 and winning the race after it. Maybe they are really sacrificing the race pace against qualy now. Hamilton was look like he's walking on eggs. He did complain for F-duct not working, but that's denied by the team. Also he was struggling out of the corners too, like he was on much lower downforce than need to be, but again at the end, his pace was again very good on hard tyres, lapping same times as Alonso. Anyone any explain for this ?

forty-two

PaulB wrote:
timbo wrote:
Are You sure?
While electronic brake balance adjustment might be "banned" under the regulations, surely the recovery system for KERS works by scavenging kinetic energy when the brakes are applied? That being the case, perhaps there's a grey area in the rules about this.

If this is the case, since KERS is permitted under the current regs, perhaps McLaren are using the recovery part of KERS, but not actually charging any batteries in order to test for next season while also gaining an advantage on brake balancing? If, say they were shedding this current through a whacking great ceramic resistor (which strikes me as unlikely), there would be no need for any KERS warning signs on the car as no current would be being stored.

Just the ramblings of a mad-man. Please feel free to blow me down where I am wrong!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

kalinka
kalinka

Firstly they can extract energy only on the rear axle trough gearbox, so they can't influence brake balance directly with KERS. Also ceramic resistors that can dissipate THAT amount of energy are huge ( i didn't do calculations, but it's more than 10-15kg I'm sure ). Also it dissipates energy trough heating, so anther big problem there. I'm sure that KERS is not charging directly by braking, but by engine-braking, when you lift off the trhottle. If you hit the brakes and didn't lift off the throttle, the KERS doesn't charge the batteires if I understand it correctly. There are KERS-like systems in some experimental road cars, where you have independent generators in each wheel, therefore it can harvest the braking energy directly, independently of the main engine, but that's not the case in F1. Correct me please if I'm wrong.

segedunum
segedunum

Well, we can only conclude that McLaren have gone backwards relative to the competition. The way they've mucked about with that front wing has never been a good sign.