2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SSJ4
SSJ4

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

-wkst- wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 19:04
Schmidt claims in the AMuS vlog that AMR is driving too low ans therefore the car is so unstable. He says that the team claims they understand the problem and can solve it. Moreover he told that engineers told him that ALO drove way too hard in Q2 and tyres were cooked.
Too low? What is in unstable ride height or bouncing? Yeah Alonso has an aggressive driving style especially when it comes to curbs. Look at the way he used to drive the alpine. They always claim they know how but no answers as of yet

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

SSJ4 wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 20:27
-wkst- wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 19:04
Schmidt claims in the AMuS vlog that AMR is driving too low ans therefore the car is so unstable. He says that the team claims they understand the problem and can solve it. Moreover he told that engineers told him that ALO drove way too hard in Q2 and tyres were cooked.
Too low? What is in unstable ride height or bouncing? Yeah Alonso has an aggressive driving style especially when it comes to curbs. Look at the way he used to drive the alpine. They always claim they know how but no answers as of yet
Even if you solve the problem, they still have to make the car fast. This year will not happen and next year can't image either,because teams like Mercedes and McLaren 1 year step ahead . Just to understand Haas faster than Aston and in Austria Alonso couldn't keep whit Sauber . Since beginning of the season they are like starting every race with 15 lap old tyres.

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

diffuser wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 19:47
Sevach wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 19:05
How does Aston fits all these guys under the cap? I wonder if they aren't doing it wrong for this era... if this was 2014 the "dream team" structure would be amazing.

They are allowed 3 not under the cap.

I think Lawrence like's Krack cause he is inexpensive and it allows Lawrence to do part of the TP job. Someone like Horner or Wolfe would never allow that.

I don't think Cowell is being paid much more that Whitmarsh. Fallows and the aero guy that came over from Merc, can't remember his name, probably are and are off the books.
Are consultants included in the cap ? I do not think. Let's hope Blandin doesn't leave because he was really good, he was the one who anticipated the gray areas (flexible wingers?) in the pre season last year

diffuser

Sherrinford wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 20:40
diffuser wrote:
Sevach wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 19:05
How does Aston fits all these guys under the cap? I wonder if they aren't doing it wrong for this era... if this was 2014 the "dream team" structure would be amazing.

I think Lawrence like's Krack cause he is inexpensive and it allows Lawrence to do part of the TP job. Someone like Horner or Wolfe would never allow that.

I don't think Cowell is being paid much more that Whitmarsh. Fallows and the aero guy that came over from Merc, can't remember his name, probably are and are off the books.
Are consultants included in the cap ? I do not think. Let's hope Blandin doesn't leave because he was really good, he was the one who anticipated the gray areas (flexible wingers?) in the pre season last year
Could you imagine if consultants weren't part of the CAP? AMR would have 1000 consultants working for them.

Every hr of employee time that works towards the car is part of the CAP. I presume even the Janitor.

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

diffuser wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 22:16
Sherrinford wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Could you imagine if consultants weren't part of the CAP? AMR would have 1000 consultants working for them.

Every hr of employee time that works towards the car is part of the CAP. I presume even the Janitor.
I had heard about Redbull not having Newey back in the cap

zoroastar
zoroastar

-wkst- wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 07:40
zoroastar wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 00:47
if you believe them, i believe it was De la rosa stating that they knew what the problem was at last weeks race. i have a little faith based on the fact that there are a few people in the team that have to be on the hot seat with this performance, and lack of understanding of what upgrades they have brought, for going on 2 years now. the only thing that will save "somebody" is if they either fix some things real fast, or they have some bugs in their system that have little to do with human error. even if the latter is true, i imagine stroll will get rid of somebody if they dont improve a lot before the end of the season. last week they seemed more confident about hungary upgrades. this week maybe they are taking the approach that alonso suggested, and to have less talk (and promises) and more solutions. we can hope
Looking how bad the sprint Q was for ALO and how much they changed his car for the normal Q (according to his own - that mechanics even didn't have lunch), I don't believe that they have understood this car at all. Otherwise you don't do that, simply as that.
yeah, i mean they understand that they have to put new parts on this failure of a car, and understand what direction to take. i hope they REALLY understand with this next round of updates. mercedes were pretty bad for 2 years and have only now started to figure it out

diffuser

Sherrinford wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 22:23
diffuser wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 22:16
Sherrinford wrote:

I had heard about Redbull not having Newey back in the cap
Like I said, you can take 3 salaries out of the CAP.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Whitmarsh is CEO of Aston Martin Perfomance Technologies Limited, (parent company?) of AMR GP Limited (F1 Team). They have some other companies too. Don't think that Whitmarsh or Cowell matter therefore for the cost cap, maybe only parts of their salary fall under the F1 budget. They do that with engineers too, XY% they work for F1 officially, YX% they work for other stuff...

@SSJ4
He explained it that way: 2022 all cars started to drive as low as possible, with the big problems of bouncing and unstable cars. So all were going up with the ride height, losing some DF but to find their optimal window for a driveable car. Now these cars are nearly at the limit in terms of DF, so they need to go down again to find lap time.

At this point he (Schmidt) directly talked about AMR that this is their big problem. "They are too low, the car gets unstable (through bouncing or other things), they need to find the right point (ride height) again. Engineers say the know what the problem is and it will be solved soon. They act like with one move everything is solved..."

Waz
Waz

Well, look how a new front wing has transformed the Mercedes. But finding the ideal ride height is something Mercedes battled with all of last year too.

-wkst-
-wkst-

https://formu1a.uno/it/aston-martin-att ... -arrivare/

AMR expects an answer from Newey this week.

Cardile will join the team, but the gardening leave and all the related stuff has to be negotiated between the parties, because Cardile is still under contract with Ferrari.

diffuser

Waz wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 10:25
Well, look how a new front wing has transformed the Mercedes. But finding the ideal ride height is something Mercedes battled with all of last year too.

The Merc is a completely different car.

Understeer in the middle of the corner means something is going wrong with the flow under the car in the corners that they're losing DF, probably the very front section of the floor. The part where the air exits right at the front part of the floor that is fed by the outer most section of the floor inlet would be my guess. Could be ride height tilt from the curve, could be turbulence from somewhere in the front, could be something wrong with the floor itself and could be a bunch of other things I haven't thought of.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

diffuser wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 15:37
Waz wrote:

Understeer in the middle of the corner means something is going wrong with the flow under the car in the corners that they're losing DF, probably the very front section of the floor. The part where the air exits right at the front part of the floor that is fed by the outer most section of the floor inlet would be my guess. Could be ride height tilt from the curve, could be turbulence from somewhere in the front, could be something wrong with the floor itself and could be a bunch of other things I haven't thought of.
Is the tyres!
We have to go back to the time when Aston Martin was good in the corners and one of the best in terms of tire degradation. Just look at the AMR23: they used a lot of wing at the front and rear, and their floor was so simple, with just two tunnels and no fancy elements. This simple floor and the extensive use of wings tell me that Aston Martin generated more downforce from the wings than from ground effect. A lot of wing caused drag, while the floor didn't create significant drag. Now look at the AMR24; it looks like a bird without wings. They literally don't have front wing flap curves, almost flat. They also reduced the rear downforce for higher DRS efficiency and top speed. So, basically, they lost a lot of downforce from the wings. The floor probably still doesn't make enough downforce to compensate for the losses from the front and rear wings.
Without enough downforce from the floor they will struggle forever with those small wings. I would say they should find at least 15% extra downforce on the floor to get close to Mercedes and McLaren and extra extra 20% to Redbull.
So basically without enough downforce car won't turn, won't be ballanced, just will slide instead of stick to the asphalt. This why Aston have tyre issues and slow. Don't forget, you can't find seconds in the setup ,but you can find seconds in the tyres.

Jurgen von Diaz

So what's wrong with Alonso? Stroll closer to him. Has he said anything about the car? Aren't the upgrades suitable for him?

diffuser

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 21:40
So what's wrong with Alonso? Stroll closer to him. Has he said anything about the car? Aren't the upgrades suitable for him?
Stroll is becoming the driver that Alonso said he would help him become!

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 21:13
diffuser wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 15:37
Waz wrote:

Is the tyres!
We have to go back to the time when Aston Martin was good in the corners and one of the best in terms of tire degradation. Just look at the AMR23: they used a lot of wing at the front and rear, and their floor was so simple, with just two tunnels and no fancy elements. This simple floor and the extensive use of wings tell me that Aston Martin generated more downforce from the wings than from ground effect. A lot of wing caused drag, while the floor didn't create significant drag. Now look at the AMR24; it looks like a bird without wings. They literally don't have front wing flap curves, almost flat. They also reduced the rear downforce for higher DRS efficiency and top speed. So, basically, they lost a lot of downforce from the wings. The floor probably still doesn't make enough downforce to compensate for the losses from the front and rear wings.
Without enough downforce from the floor they will struggle forever with those small wings. I would say they should find at least 15% extra downforce on the floor to get close to Mercedes and McLaren and extra extra 20% to Redbull.
So basically without enough downforce car won't turn, won't be ballanced, just will slide instead of stick to the asphalt. This why Aston have tyre issues and slow. Don't forget, you can't find seconds in the setup ,but you can find seconds in the tyres.
Yes, but how do you explain this with the decent speeds in qualifying at the beginning of the season and the collapse now?It also suffers from noticeable understeer (due to a front suspension?) so you can't blame the wings for that. I remember the wing of Saudi Arabia 2023 which was more empty, but in the meantime that one the car still went fast