HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Where is the driver?
If this halo idea was to retain some of the open car idea, it's really not working:

NathanOlder

Identifying the drivers is definitely a problem now. I guess the large numbers and coloured T-Camera is good to have now.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 11:23
Identifying the drivers is definitely a problem now. I guess the large numbers and coloured T-Camera is good to have now.
A Claytons open wheeler solution

pista
pista

Pulling the driver out with his seat in case of an accident and injury must be quite hard job nowadays, or can the rescue workers quickly get rid of the halo somehow?

zac510
zac510

While I think it's ugly, I am getting used to the Halo already. If they could reduce the diameter of the pipes by 20-30% and removed the fairings the teams are allowed to add, the visual impact would be greatly reduced (IMO).

jjn9128

johnny comelately wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 11:20
Where is the driver?
If this halo idea was to retain some of the open car idea, it's really not working:
Around the middle of the car - sitting in the cockpit - he's the one in the helmet. You can tell from the colour of the helmet it is Kimi Raikkonen driving the car. If you can't identify the helmet, who can these days as they change every year, the big number 7 on the engine cover and nose also indicate that it is Kimi Raikkonen who is driving the car. Failing that, the colour of the car is Red, which indicates that the car is a Ferrari - so there is a 50% chance of the driver being Vettel or Raikkonen, in which case at a Grand Prix weekend the yellow T-cam will indicate it is Raikkonen in the car.

Hope this helps.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

jjn9128 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 11:38
johnny comelately wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 11:20
Where is the driver?
Around the middle of the car - sitting in the cockpit - he's the one in the helmet. You can tell from the colour of the helmet it is Kimi Raikkonen driving the car. If you can't identify the helmet, who can these days as they change every year, the big number 7 on the engine cover and nose also indicate that it is Kimi Raikkonen who is driving the car. Failing that, the colour of the car is Red, which indicates that the car is a Ferrari - so there is a 50% chance of the driver being Vettel or Raikkonen, in which case at a Grand Prix weekend the yellow T-cam will indicate it is Raikkonen in the car.

Hope this helps.
It was a rhetorical question with a reason, hope this helps :wink:

Sevach
Sevach

NathanOlder wrote:
Different colored halos would be a good thing, looking at videos it's very hard to see the helmet.

NathanOlder

Sevach wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:25
NathanOlder wrote:
Different colored halos would be a good thing, looking at videos it's very hard to see the helmet.
Yeah, I liked the old days when some cars had the different coloured stickers.

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:40
Sevach wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 14:25
NathanOlder wrote:
Yeah, I liked the old days when some cars had the different coloured stickers.

http://www.f1racinggrid.co.uk/wp-conten ... c2_big.jpg

https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/static/img ... t-fw18.jpg
Like this?

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:40

Like this?
No not the T-Cams or numbers, mentioned that hours ago, keep up. Im talking extra stickers on wings ect
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:44
Jolle wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:40

Like this?
No not the T-Cams or numbers, mentioned that hours ago, keep up. Im talking extra stickers on wings ect
Whats wrong with the yellow lines on the cam? I don't really see the problem... Or like Mercedes is doing, with different coloured numbers? Not time for a new TV set or stop watching crappy live-streams?

NathanOlder

Genuine Sky Sports F1 HD in my house on a decent size Tv, so nothing wrong with that. I'd just like the teams to be a little more creative. Like how some used to colour the mirrors different colours.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i really don't see the problem. I'm regularly surprised even TV commentators confuse drivers. You know that when Hamilton is in P1, and he makes a pitstop, he'll be somewhere P5 when he exits the pit. then the camera pans and shows vettel in front of a mercedes and they comment that Vettel overtook Hamilton, and it takes them a while to realize that nobody overtook anybody but it was bottas all along, and hamilton took the pitstop we noticed the timing of in the screen.

additionally, when we see a sudden replay of an overtake, and we know hamilton is p1, and bottas p6, and there's a redbull in front of bottas, that when we then see onboard a mercedes replay, it has to be obviously bottas whom we have been following for endless laps, and it is thus not a redbull that overtook hamilton and hamilton taking the place back.

i'ts logical deductive thinking, basic really and quite frankly, you don't need any coloring on any car for that.

however, if you're not entirely sure at the exact moment, then it's simple; no bright yellow spot on the t-cam? the teams '1st' driver = hamilton. bright yellow on the t-cam? the 2nd driver = bottas. or raikkonen. ocon. whatever.

the t-cam is always visible. a yellow patch on a fw pilon only when you see a momentary frontal shot.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Yeah, besides i spend more time looking at the live timing than I do the TV, you know a lot more looking at the sector times and gaps than you do the TV.

Its only Red Bull drivers who look too similar with all their RedBull sponsered helmets just need to remember, Max is the one with the black T-Cam.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.