McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL33

i dont think it has been posted, but some dirt shows a nice flow

NathanOlder

DiogoBrand wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 03:46

I'm not sure you need a slot between each support. There may be some loophole that allows support pieces without compromising the floor perimeter.
Really ? I thought any loopholes were well and truely shut. Be interesting to know exactly how this one turns out. Like a few have said, It looks completely illegal :?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

The rules in that regard haven't changed. Section 3.7.9 of the rules defines a continuous line visible from beneath the car. The supports are no part of that because they are not visible. Note that the rules use projections when defining things and all we see is pictures with perspective giving the impressions of holes. A hole is something that would show up as something allowing to see through the projection. When projected things will just overlap to form one big surface and thus confirm to the rule of no holes. The second aspect of importance is the continuous line and that is easily fixed with a cut as shown before which would make it legal. I even doubt it is an issue. If the middle part, the one separating the two slots is connected correctly at the front using the same trick as stated above it would be legal as well.

miguelbento

Jef Patat wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 11:41
The rules in that regard haven't changed. Section 3.7.9 of the rules defines a continuous line visible from beneath the car. The supports are no part of that because they are not visible. Note that the rules use projections when defining things and all we see is pictures with perspective giving the impressions of holes. A hole is something that would show up as something allowing to see through the projection. When projected things will just overlap to form one big surface and thus confirm to the rule of no holes. The second aspect of importance is the continuous line and that is easily fixed with a cut as shown before which would make it legal. I even doubt it is an issue. If the middle part, the one separating the two slots is connected correctly at the front using the same trick as stated above it would be legal as well.
But note that the rule applies to the area 700mm or less from the car centre plane. This leaves the outer 100mm of the floor out of this rule.

SiLo

miguelbento wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 11:53
Jef Patat wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 11:41
But note that the rule applies to the area 700mm or less from the car centre plane. This leaves the outer 100mm of the floor out of this rule.
This is what I thought, at the edges they can do what they want?
Felipe Baby!

McMrocks
McMrocks

Must have been changed from last year then. I remember several teams adding cuts to make the slots legal last year. :?:

ncassi22
ncassi22

f1rules wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 08:56

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXMy4DvX0AApleR.jpg:large

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg
Definitely my favourite car aerodynamically. They and Red Bull are the only teams that seem to feed the rear of the coke-bottle (under the cooling outlets) entirely from the top surface of the pods. Y250/barge-board air exclusively used to seal the outer edge of the floor and control flow along the inner edge of the tire/diffuser extremities.

mclaren111

TJ13: 2018 Rules:
Front axle
Ferrari started it. Red Bull, Renault and McLaren have mimicked it. The geometry of the front axle was designed in such a way that the front of the car was lowered in accordance with the steering angle. This ensured that the front wing edges closer to the track, while cornering, which generates more downforce. Since this clearly has an impact on aerodynamics, the FIA ​​put a stop to this technique. Today a car, at a 12 degrees steering angle, isn’t allowed to sink forward more than five millimeters. This will be measured on a purpose build platform.

But experts believe that this ground clearance changes more on the racetrack than it does on the measurement platform, if you just do it skillfully. They think that the geometry of the front suspension of the new McLaren MCL33, which substantiates this suspicion with its extreme placement of the push-rods, is build with such a trick in mind. Charlie Whiting has already commented that if they see that the steering angle in reality exceeds 12 degrees, they will modify the test.
Hope it works !!

mclaren111

Love this picture !!! The Rake !!!

f1rules
f1rules

yeah its really nice, here from the other side
ncassi22 wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 07:38
f1rules wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 08:56

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXMy4DvX0AApleR.jpg:large

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg
Definitely my favourite car aerodynamically. They and Red Bull are the only teams that seem to feed the rear of the coke-bottle (under the cooling outlets) entirely from the top surface of the pods. Y250/barge-board air exclusively used to seal the outer edge of the floor and control flow along the inner edge of the tire/diffuser extremities.

GoranF1
GoranF1

bauc wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:11
@Goran F1, yes you can check the launch photos, its there
Thanks.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Powy
Powy

Tech insight - McLaren’s aggressive rear suspension design
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/tech ... est-1.html

iichel
iichel

brighter version of this last photo forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27061&start=300#p742942

very clean wishbone area and some details of the rear diffuser

mclaren111

What is that "triangular" silver thing in the middle of bargeboard ?

iichel
iichel

probably a reflection on a piece of coated carbon fiber