2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

Interestingly, Carlos Sainz said in the post-qualifying press conference he thinks he won't be caught by max within stints 1 or 2, but max will probably fight for the win. So Ferrari's simulations think it'll be close for max to get the win even without a SC and more importantly, it'll be a 2 stopper for ferrari - most likely on the softer compounds. S/M/M ?

Unless this slip of the tongue was a 200 Iq bait to go for a 1-stop, of course.

ringo

An interesting twist is if Perez has good pace and feels he deserves the win, but is told to move over by the pitwall.

How long will the soft last, and the medium?
Would a one stop medium, hard strategy work?
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 01:38
An interesting twist is if Perez has good pace and feels he deserves the win, but is told to move over by the pitwall.

If Perez has good pace, Max won't catch him.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 28 Aug 2022, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

organic

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 01:38

I think if max makes good progress and p2 is safe for checo RB will aim to do the overtake with pitstops

As for how long tyres will last... That's a black art but I'm thinking 8-12 laps on the soft and then 13-21 laps on the medium stints. 10 -15/16 - 18/19 sounds reasonable for a S-M-M strategy

Doubt any top team will touch the hards tbh, especially with spa's risk of rain

codetower

search wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 23:47
codetower wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 23:28
What are the strategies for tomorrow? One stop? Two? Looks to be a dry race. What tyre allocations do the drivers have left?
unconfirmed, based on my own notes:

https://i.imgur.com/y3YcNTu.png
Thank you! I always have a hard time finding these.

Two stop might be the popular strategy. I wonder if VER or LEC would risk starting on Softs, then going M-M. Verstappen has 2 new Softs. A couple of safety cars and he may be able to get away with a M-S-S or a S-M-S.

Neither Sainz, Perez, Hamilton or Russel have any new softs. They may try a one stop M-H. It'll be interesting tomorrow.

Zynerji

A M-H 1 stop strategy would give better crossover choice if it rains however...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Zynerji wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 03:26
A M-H 1 stop strategy would give better crossover choice if it rains however...
I don’t think there is any threat of rain.

Chuckjr

Ferrari fail. I literally gasped when Charles asked what was up with the tires and the team replies they goofed it fitting spanky new ones. Wthf. This is Benny Hill levels of bafoonery. It’s not even the race and they are still making pathetic mistakes. Leadership fail. Competence fail. Preparation fail.

I’ve no idea why I keep reading F1 fans here calling the Merc a diva. Wtf. It’s not a diva. Diva’s are winning cars. The W13 is not a winning car, it’s a pig. Diva’s are fickle with set up but can win on merit when that set up is found. Merc has yet to discover that set up, and can’t win on merit. The car is a mooch (it will win when another team hands it a win) and FAR too draggy as elucidated here at F1 tech many times by the smarter contributors. Pig cars, draggy cars, poorly design cars like the W13, only work in the most perfect of perfect conditions, and then are *still slower* than the best cars. No idea why one lucky pole (because of an incredible drive, not the car), and no wins makes the W13 a diva. Lol. Whatever...keep telling yourselves it’s a diva guys. Your hopium is entertaining to read. In fact, I hope Merc keeps the turd pods for next year — it renders who here at F1 tech understands aero, and who are the posers.

Looking forward to seeing if either Sainz or Perez can pull one out and do something special, tho Max has looked extremely fast and they would need Schumacher skills to keep Max in the rear view. The reality is, Perez will have to pull over for Max when/if he catches up to him. Also, Sainz is starting with a handicap — Ferrari strategists, so I doubt he will be able to overcome both the speed of RB and his own team’s antics.

As easy as it is to pass at Spa, Max may just move right up to the top spot by mid to late race, on merit.

I nearly wet myself when I saw Williams P6 on the grid. That’s fantastic to see.

Fred P3? If only he had the car to keep him there...🤦‍♂️
Watching F1 since 1986.

Chuckjr

ringo wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 23:27
Cs98 wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 23:19
ringo wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 22:41

It's more like Ferrari imploding and Redbull team having good strategy.
The only time I can really say the drivers made much of a difference for redbull.. I cannot even tell this year.
Max simply had no competition and did not even have to push.
The first few races with him and leclerc were Okay and that's about it.
I cannot say I have seen anything magical from the front runners this year. Max drover harder last year. This year, the pitwall and the top speed of the car is doing the work, oh and yes a very compliant #2 in Perez.
I do understand why his detractors are in pain now. Sometimes his success gets tiring; but i am all for it.
I am not a Max detractor. Just a fan of the sport. In fact you would be hard pressed to see me denigrate or bash him, as would the LH detractors.
It is simply my opinion that this year, there were no great drives thanks to the lack of competition from another team.
Qualifying we have seen some semblance of rivalry, and Leclerc has been stellar there. If it were a qualy championship, crown Ferrari. But it isn't. During the races the redbull is the stronger race car, and redbull are the stronger team strategically, and this explains the 80 point gap despite Max having no memorable drives this year.
He is driving well, not making any major errors and doing his job. But he has not competition, not even from his teammate, and that's a fact.
There is no pain from us F-1 fans. The season has been okay, nothing bad, but nothing great.
Max will win at least 6 more races this season. I don't expect Leclerc to win anymore. Sainz, and Perez and Mercedes have a better chance of a win.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Watching F1 since 1986.

yamahasho
yamahasho

No matter which side everyone is on what I see is everyone wants good entertaining racing and right now everyone agree’s it’s boring. Even as a Honda fan, it’s boring.

Leclerc has so much respect for Max on and off the track that he just lets him pass, or Max let’s Charles pass, where’s the rivalry, where is the wheel bumping, the complaints on the radio, nothing, totally boring, they probably send each other Christmas cards. It sucks. Leclerc has to want it more.

Some sports have tried to put prevent dynasty’s. Some have been successful.

I hope to see Leclerc aggressive at Spa. Temps suck for Mercedes, so they should stay about where they are now.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

mendis
mendis

ringo wrote:
I am not a Max detractor. Just a fan of the sport. In fact you would be hard pressed to see me denigrate or bash him, as would the LH detractors.
It is simply my opinion that this year, there were no great drives thanks to the lack of competition from another team.
Qualifying we have seen some semblance of rivalry, and Leclerc has been stellar there. If it were a qualy championship, crown Ferrari. But it isn't. During the races the redbull is the stronger race car, and redbull are the stronger team strategically, and this explains the 80 point gap despite Max having no memorable drives this year.
He is driving well, not making any major errors and doing his job. But he has not competition, not even from his teammate, and that's a fact.
There is no pain from us F-1 fans. The season has been okay, nothing bad, but nothing great.
Max will win at least 6 more races this season. I don't expect Leclerc to win anymore. Sainz, and Perez and Mercedes have a better chance of a win.
In simple words, if you are not a detractor, you don't spend time pulling down a driver's achievements. Your post is nothing more than what a Lewis detractor would be posting in yesteryears. No need to prefix your post with that as everything that followed is a contradiction.

mendis
mendis

yamahasho wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 05:23
No matter which side everyone is on what I see is everyone wants good entertaining racing and right now everyone agree’s it’s boring. Even as a Honda fan, it’s boring.

Leclerc has so much respect for Max on and off the track that he just lets him pass, or Max let’s Charles pass, where’s the rivalry, where is the wheel bumping, the complaints on the radio, nothing, totally boring, they probably send each other Christmas cards. It sucks. Leclerc has to want it more.

Some sports have tried to put prevent dynasty’s. Some have been successful.

I hope to see Leclerc aggressive at Spa. Temps suck for Mercedes, so they should stay about where they are now.
Entertainment need not have to be uncivilized gory.

yamahasho
yamahasho

Like Bottas said, racing isn’t a tea party but it sure looks like one.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

ringo

mendis wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 05:30
ringo wrote:
In simple words, if you are not a detractor, you don't spend time pulling down a driver's achievements. Your post is nothing more than what a Lewis detractor would be posting in yesteryears. No need to prefix your post with that as everything that followed is a contradiction.
Okay, let's hear the great heart in mouth races this season then. The best it has been is Saudi Arabia with the drs cat and mouse between Max and Charles. And then that's just gimmicks really. Any other race was not special.
We got more entertainment from Hamilton hopelessly trying to get podiums this year and Sainz and Leclerc being confused by their pitwall.
For Sure!!

mendis
mendis

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 06:56
mendis wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 05:30
ringo wrote:
Okay, let's hear the great heart in mouth races this season then. The best it has been is Saudi Arabia with the drs cat and mouse between Max and Charles. And then that's just gimmicks really. Any other race was not special.
We got more entertainment from Hamilton hopelessly trying to get podiums this year and Sainz and Leclerc being confused by their pitwall.
I don't see a point in engaging in this nonsense.