[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

I just completed scrutineering. You guys are doing a good job, there will only be a few warnings.
What do you think about some of the front wings we see this race. Sometimes the elements are only attached at one side. In real life, we would see these small titanium fixtures that would ensure a stiff gap. We do not want to see these kind of small geometries in MVRC but the parts just floating around is maybe also not the best solution.

variante

I'm OK with the semi-floating parts.
As you mentioned, in real life we'd simply see small structural elements.
By the way, the minimum allowed thickness is still 10mm, so no chance to reproduce such elements accurately.

yinlad

Agreed, I don't mind it being that we are limited on thickness and it's a small area to navigate. The profile coverage prevents it from becoming too detached from reality
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

I would consider to allow 5mm minimum thickness instead of 10mm, but with mandatory 2mm rounded edge instead of cuspides, i I think that it would be ok for the mesher (maybe better than 10mm with cuspides).

Koldskaal

Race starts at 15:00 (local time)

MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

yinlad

Wow that is a close field. My drag went in the opposite direction on the long run unfortunately! Has cost me a podium potentially! Slight under cooling too, fine margins indeed
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

Congratulations to G-Raph and Variante.
I had better plans for the only race I think I could win this year, but a podium after such a long time is a good result.

variante

Congratulations to G-Raph. Third victory in a row, and championship almost secured.
The drag of that car was lower than i expected.

Third 2nd place in a row for me, which isn't as impressive, but it's good enough.
But what a close race! I even managed to be faster in 2 sectors.

And congratulations to CAEdevice for being back on the podium.
That car seems to be improving rapidly.

The other guys simply used the wrong setup for Monza.
But the midfield battle is absolutely open.

LVDH

variante wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 18:34
But what a close race! I even managed to be faster in 2 sectors.
I can only imagine how you must have felt seeing your time in sector two....

Anyway, congratulations to GRaph once more. It is an impressive run we are seeing this season.

Big thanks to the staff, everything worked smoothly and the video has a nice update that might benefit us in the future...

CAEdevice

I use the forum to announce the prize of MVRC 2023, This year the prize will be an "F1 team style" shirt, with MVRC graphics, the names of all the teams, and the sponsors (hopefully more than one). The prize will be reserved for the winner of the final classification, the winner of the last race (to keep interest alive, given the current classification, and to reward the best performing car at the end of development), staff members and will be available, at a price limited to the cost of manufacturing and shipping, to anyone.

LVDH

I have seen what this is about and I can say, it is once more a very cool prize. Big thanks to CAEdevice. It is great to see that there is something cool and new every year for the champ.
But we have two more races to go. I do want to see someone else win in at least one race. You guys have to copy everything you can see on that yellow car.

G-raph

Thanks Everyone!

Nice video as always, and amazing job for getting it ready for the real F1 Monza race start!

Obviously I'm very pleased with this, numbers are even better than expected (I've broken the 4.0 efficiency barrier!), although I suspect that sub-optimal balance hurt me in the high speed corners of sectors 2 and 3.

But that was a close one! I was right to suspect that Variante had found a good amount of performance irrespective of the Monza package, because he didn't need to back-off his front wing as much as I had to! The final 2 races will be interesting, and I'm glad I can now afford to finish second.

Congrats to CAEdevice for a well earned podium. Your Monza package paid dividends, but it looks like that even on higher downforce track you would be able to stay in that position.

Congrats to Panthera too, beating Koldskaal and Max fair and square without a Monza package is very impressive. That fight for the podium between the 4 of you is getting seriously exciting.

Busor
Busor

Koldskaal wrote:
03 Sep 2023, 08:54
Race starts at 15:00 (local time)

https://youtu.be/SqmF2SLEzbI
Almost got my hopes up seeing my first sector time :o . But I think my missing downforce hurt me through Ascari and Parabolica.

Where I'm a bit confused is my cooling situation. While I'm glad I got over the required minimum on the second try, my MVRC fast and medium runs were predicting between 2.8 and 2.9 m³/s. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to have some margin towards the official race run but such a big difference is quite hard to factor in realiably during the development of the car using MVRC fast or medium. So my question would be: Does anyone else have such large differences and any tips of how to set up the sim to avoid that? My correlation with drag and downforce seems more plausible for me (match on Cd and up about 0.2 Cl vs. MVRC fast).

Thankful for every bit of help!
Busor

spacehead3

Here's the top 3 telemetry:

Max Taylor

G-raph

Any chance we can get the CFD reports this week?