2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 19:48
So the possibility of a Newey "get out clause" was mentioned a few comments above, I don't mean this to be an off topic subject that could get out of control, but does anyone think McLaren's current technical structure allows such a hire?
No, to be honest. Right now I don't think there's room or need. But he'd be well placed here to work on the road cars too and hiring him might stop him making someone else fast :D

There's always a role to be created but Stella is clearly into the right balance. Newey might not balance our equation well despite his immense knowledge.

Ferrari on the other hand would likely give him anything his heart desires.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

As fan of the sport the idea of a Ferrari designed by Newey and driven by Hamilton is exciting… As a McLaren fan, hope it doesn’t happen

BMMR61

Newey clearly works well in a structure where he has enormous autonomy and freedom, slotting into an existing well evolved structure might be counterproductive, at least for some period of time. The McLaren structure gives every appearance of evolving really nicely, Seidl's early release from his long term contract and the promotion of Stella we now see as enormously beneficial and the graph of performance looks like it might have some way to run. Why would they want to risk this strong trend to put in what would be a very "disruptive" spoke into the wheel, even a star signing? It's a little like I think the Hamilton to Ferrari scenario could manifest - a great driver relationship like the current Ferrari one and one which is really close in absolute pace, could be replaced by a new pairing with the potential for growing fractiousness. Do I not think that Newey is still in a league of his own in many aspects of the design role? Of course, but introducing a figure like Newey would be tantamount to ripping up the current order and starting again, something best suited to a team that has lost it's way - as McLaren were a few years ago and even as recently as a year ago. I'm perplexed by this line about Newey anyway and wonder what I have missed in the media.

BMMR61

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 20:56
As fan of the sport the idea of a Ferrari designed by Newey and driven by Hamilton is exciting… As a McLaren fan, hope it doesn’t happen
Well history tells us Ferrari aren't afraid of spending big on star defectors to big up their operation. It worked in a more expansive and coordinated way as in the Schumacher team, but less so in most. I'm with you on McLaren, I like the internal promotion method boosted by a few well chosen key signings.
Last edited by BMMR61 on 06 Feb 2024, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

haza wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 17:22
Love the teams livery but jeez the white like the Indy team would have made it 👌🏼

https://x.com/mclarenf1/status/17548878 ... CA5OmEDv0w
I’ve been banging on about it for ages that we need white on the F1 car. White with the papaya would look 8)
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

BMMR61 wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 20:57
Newey clearly works well in a structure where he has enormous autonomy and freedom, slotting into an existing well evolved structure might be counterproductive, at least for some period of time. The McLaren structure gives every appearance of evolving really nicely, Seidl's early release from his long term contract and the promotion of Stella we now see as enormously beneficial and the graph of performance looks like it might have some way to run. Why would they want to risk this strong trend to put in what would be a very "disruptive" spoke into the wheel, even a star signing? It's a little like I think the Hamilton to Ferrari scenario could manifest - a great driver relationship like the current Ferrari one and one which is really close in absolute pace, could be replaced by a new pairing with the potential for growing fractiousness. Do I not think that Newey is still in a league of his own in many aspects of the design role? Of course, but introducing a figure like Newey would be tantamount to ripping up the current order and starting again, something best suited to a team that has lost it's way - as McLaren were a few years ago and even as recently as a year ago. I'm perplexed by this line about Newey anyway and wonder what I have missed in the media.
It would just depend in which capacity and role he could be brought to the team… It doesn’t necessarily need to be disruptive.

But the reality is that Prodromou is doing a good job and he is arguably the future… Who know for how long Newey is going to want to keep doing this, so a bet in the future is a better one in my opinion

trinidefender
trinidefender

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 17:47
haza wrote:
Love the teams livery but jeez the white like the Indy team would have made it 👌🏼

The cars at Indy are not struggling for weight savings as the F1 Teams do, that allows them use liveries like that… I’m sure that if weight wouldn’t be such a constrain, we would see a livery from the team with less black in it… There is a reason why the Gulf livery was run at Monaco, that’s the one race where some additional weight is not as detrimental
I would have thought the additional weight would hurt the most at Monaco. It has, iirc, the lowest average speed, lots of bumps and walls that disrupt aero. That should mean that out of all the tracks aero will have the least effect (in relative terms of course) and mechanical grip would be the highest.

I figured they just used the livery there because it’s where a lot of deals get signed and McLaren has a sort of history for having Monaco special liveries.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 20:56
I know, but it's exactly the possibility that is in front of us, albeit a remote one luckily. But I'd be hard pressed to dislike a Ferrari lineup with Newey and Hamilton in it. I wouldn't like it, though, I'm not saying that lol

I haven't read Newey's book so I may be totally mistaken, but I think like many other fans of F1 that he is not immune to the charms of Ferrari.

-Bandit

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 22:06
SmallSoldier wrote:
haza wrote:

The cars at Indy are not struggling for weight savings as the F1 Teams do, that allows them use liveries like that… I’m sure that if weight wouldn’t be such a constrain, we would see a livery from the team with less black in it… There is a reason why the Gulf livery was run at Monaco, that’s the one race where some additional weight is not as detrimental
I would have thought the additional weight would hurt the most at Monaco. It has, iirc, the lowest average speed, lots of bumps and walls that disrupt aero. That should mean that out of all the tracks aero will have the least effect (in relative terms of course) and mechanical grip would be the highest.

I figured they just used the livery there because it’s where a lot of deals get signed and McLaren has a sort of history for having Monaco special liveries.
Interesting, my brain went to the idea that higher G's in cornering and braking would amplify higher weight differences and differences in CoG and therefore Monaco would not make this weight difference stand out as much.

Edit: Cornering and braking.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Feb 2024, 11:32, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

I think Newey as philosophical head of design overseeing the current structure can absolutely work. Zak needs to make a move now at the very least to head off a Ferrari superteam

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Macklaren wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 23:53
I think Newey as philosophical head of design overseeing the current structure can absolutely work. Zak needs to make a move now at the very least to head off a Ferrari superteam
I think this is premature? Not saying that Adrian won't consider it, but I still feel it's very premature.

Macklaren
Macklaren

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 00:03
Macklaren wrote:
I think this is premature? Not saying that Adrian won't consider it, but I still feel it's very premature.
Based on the events of the past week, every hour is like 6 months in normal F1 time

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Macklaren wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 00:05
AR3-GP wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 00:03
Macklaren wrote:
Based on the events of the past week, every hour is like 6 months in normal F1 time
:lol: true.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

trinidefender wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 22:06
SmallSoldier wrote:
haza wrote:

Actually due to the slow average speed and the fact that they can use the most amount of Downforce possible, it is the best place to “carry” a bit more weight… no heavy break zones, due to the bumps, more throttle feathering out of corners… From a “penalty” stand point, it makes sense to use it there (if you had to pick a track to carry more weight)… Similar situation last year with the 60 year special livery… I don’t recall many other special liveries run in Monaco beyond those 2

organic

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 01:25

Actually due to the slow average speed and the fact that they can use the most amount of Downforce possible, it is the best place to “carry” a bit more weight… no heavy break zones, due to the bumps, more throttle feathering out of corners… From a “penalty” stand point, it makes sense to use it there (if you had to pick a track to carry more weight)… Similar situation last year with the 60 year special livery… I don’t recall many other special liveries run in Monaco beyond those 2
Forget the RB star wars livery you must not