2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zeroday

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Venturiation wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:00
Aston Martin wanted james
What contract does he have?
3 years with MER. Allison aint going anywhere. Nor would he want to go to Aston.

langedweil

f1jcw wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 14:33
Sevach wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 14:26
RonMexico wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 13:23

He has made a long list of errors so far this decade. I think it was a business decision to play hardball but at the end of the day their relationship might not have been all that rosy. George is Toto's puppet and Toto certainly needs to feel in control
This divorce is getting ugly already...
A lot of the ugly is coming from non Lewis/Merc fans who have a grudge against Lewis or Toto
As a neutral reader I'd say it's rather the opposite tbh ..
Anyway, I wonder if half a billion will turn out to be a good investment for Fer; it's a serious boatload of money. And I don't know, but being philantophic with someone else's money feels kinda weird.
One thing seems for sure, Merc will most likely keep imploding further this year. Wouldn't be surprised they might even sell their stake in the team, and (hopefully) remain as PU supplier.
Thinking of it, maybe this will turn out to Andretti's best possible entrance 😎
HuggaWugga !

CHT
CHT

Merc losing their most prized asset LH to Ferrari is a big shock and disaster for team owners. Come 2025, LH will no longer be Merc's brand ambassador.

As for LH, going to Ferrari may sound fantastic at the moment, but I have my doubts that LH could establish himself at Ferrari alongside Charles.
e.g. When MS moved from Ferrari to Merc, he was struggling to keep pace with much younger Rosberg and I am guessing the same could happen to LH as well.

Perhaps my speculation that Merc selling the team may become a reality soon

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

zeroday wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:45
Venturiation wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:00
Aston Martin wanted james
What contract does he have?
3 years with MER. Allison aint going anywhere. Nor would he want to go to Aston.
Brackley and Silverstone are only a stone throw apart so it would not be difficult to Allison to switch. Aston is testing in the Mercedes wind tunnel currently so it would be even more trivial.

zeroday

mendis wrote:
Charles is Fred's puppy and that's a difficult proposition for Fred now to manage his new lineup in 2025. Charles played a role in dumping Mattia Binotto that paved way for Fred to join Ferrari. Good luck to him.
That was before Fred knew they could even dream of getting Lewis Hamilton. It's only when you have the winning lottery ticket do you realize your wife isn't so hot anymore :mrgreen:

Btw, Fred and Lewis have known and talked with each other for 20+ years. They are close. Long before Charles was even carting. Interestingly, Fred and Toto are bffs.

f1jcw
f1jcw

langedweil wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:46

Majority of those commenting on the last couple of pages are not Merc/lewis fans, so not sure how it can be the opposite,

zeroday

langedweil wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
Sevach wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 14:26

This divorce is getting ugly already...
A lot of the ugly is coming from non Lewis/Merc fans who have a grudge against Lewis or Toto
Anyway, I wonder if half a billion will turn out to be a good investment for Fer; it's a serious boatload of money.
One thing seems for sure, Merc will most likely keep imploding further this year. Wouldn't be surprised they might even sell their stake in the team, and (hopefully) remain as PU supplier.
Yea for me, it seems mostly positive. Seems TeamLH and Tifosi are mostly positive about it. That and a lot of people surprised and maybe even confused whats going on -- like being in a dream. I dont seem much anger at all. You can be assured George Russell is very happy about the news :lol: . The boy was struggling against HAM as a teammate, to no surprise. I gotta feel the only person (internally) upset is Toto and the other board members, and demoralized MER engineers who i'm sure are contemplating leaving with HAM. Yikes! Bono may likely go too.

I doubt MER will implode to the point of selling. They are still one of the most successful teams in F1 ever and also 2nd most valuable. MCL went through the same hell when HAM left them to a struggling MER. MCL really tanked bad. But MCL is still here. Sure MER valuation just took a massive nose dive (stock) losing HAM but it is what it is. In the greater scope of things MER current downturn is only a blip to their stellar history.

zeroday wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:20
Venturiation wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 02:59
They didn't want him after 2025, they offered him a 1+1 deal instead of 2+1
Historically, Lewis prefers short contracts -- he knows his value and abilities so he doesn't need long contracts out of personal fear -- and so him going for a 1+1 seemed more like his choice more than MER preference. No one can deny he was getting frustrated by MER mistakes over these 2 years under the technical "leadership" of Mike Elliott (and some board negotiation decisions), and so he was giving himself an intelligent out. No way he would have signed a 2+1, even if MER wanted it. Lewis isn't stupid.

FER has given Lewis the key to the kingdom and a blank cheque -- he is back to being the highest paid driver in F1 and possibly the highest in the world again -- but you can bet good money Lewis has also signed a 1+1 contract with them too.
HAM @ Ferrari is 2+1
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

f1jcw
f1jcw

zeroday wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 16:14
langedweil wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

Anyway, I wonder if half a billion will turn out to be a good investment for Fer; it's a serious boatload of money.
Yea for me, it seems mostly positive. Seems TeamLH and Tifosi are mostly positive about it. That and a lot of people surprised and maybe even confused whats going on -- like being in a dream. I dont seem much anger at all. You can be assured George Russell is very happy about the news :lol: . The boy was struggling against HAM as a teammate, to no surprise. I gotta feel the only person (internally) upset is Toto and the other board members, and demoralized MER engineers who i'm sure are contemplating leaving with HAM. Yikes! Bono may likely go too.

I doubt MER will implode to the point of selling. They are still one of the most successful teams in F1 ever and also 2nd most valuable. MCL went through the same hell when HAM left them to a struggling MER. MCL really tanked bad. But MCL is still here. Sure MER valuation just took a massive nose dive (stock) losing HAM but it is what it is. In the greater scope of things MER current downturn is only a blip to their stellar history.
From the sounds of it they was looking to maybe to part ways at the end of 2025 anyway, this has just happened a year early.

As to staff moving, I think European engineers be tempted, the English ones will depend on family situations and how often in the office. I’d probs go, see if they could put me up in a house in Lake Como or Garda. Lovely.

zeroday

CHT wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:55
When MS moved from Ferrari to Merc, he was struggling to keep pace with much younger Rosberg and I am guessing the same could happen to LH as well.
Valid point. But one can also look at Alonso vs Stroll. And we know how that's been going.

I wonder how similar their driving styles and setup will be. I saw a video that compared Lewis, Charles, and Max driving style and concluded Lewis driving style was very similar to Leclerc (obv not the same but shared similarities). If Lewis has a car he trusts he typically shines the brightest.

DGP123
DGP123

Agree. Some are just stirring for Merc’s downfall, and expecting an implosion. Even that Allison to Aston garbage gets traction on here, when it’s total nonsense. Shame we live in times whereby everything is believed. Even the majority of LH’s departure and his contract with Ferrari is just rumour and hearsay. You will never know the real reasoning behind it, or the actual figures.

As for Merc, the team finished second in the constructors and this years car is Allison’s baby. This season seems written off by many before testing which is absurd. Let’s wait and see. That’s what the real fans will be doing, and indeed Alonso. Until we get a clearer picture that isn’t muddled with crap from journalists and nonsense said on podcasts, everything is still an unknown and all to play for.

Here’s to a successful 2024 for Mercedes. I fully expect the team to remain professional and help both drivers extract the maximum out of this season.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

DGP123 wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 16:24
Even that Allison to Aston garbage gets traction on here, when it’s total nonsense.
Why would Aston approaching Allison not be believable considering Allison's past achievements, notoriety, and the close relationship that these two teams previously had including a shared Windtunnel and geological proximity. If other teams were not approaching Allison, it would be strange. Mike Elliot was most recently the technical director and Allison's efforts were not focused on F1. Any approach would have been from last year when it appears that Allison's previous contract was approaching an end. As you now know, Allison signed a new deal with Mercedes meaning there was a window where he had to entertain offers from rivals: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... kMn1Z.html

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

DGP123 wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 16:24
Agree. Some are just stirring for Merc’s downfall, and expecting an implosion. Even that Allison to Aston garbage gets traction on here, when it’s total nonsense. Shame we live in times whereby everything is believed. Even the majority of LH’s departure and his contract with Ferrari is just rumour and hearsay. You will never know the real reasoning behind it, or the actual figures.

As for Merc, the team finished second in the constructors and this years car is Allison’s baby. This season seems written off by many before testing which is absurd. Let’s wait and see. That’s what the real fans will be doing, and indeed Alonso. Until we get a clearer picture that isn’t muddled with crap from journalists and nonsense said on podcasts, everything is still an unknown and all to play for.

Here’s to a successful 2024 for Mercedes. I fully expect the team to remain professional and help both drivers extract the maximum out of this season.
This is your post from yesterday in this thread:
DGP123 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 10:21
Completely agree. Some people still regard Merc as front runners with an aura, Those days are gone. Hamilton’s leaving, the brain drain has occurred, and now Merc face the possibility of the doldrums with George, who is not anywhere near world championship material.

Lando annoyed at re-signing for McLaren and missing out on Lewis’ seat. 😂 You must be joking. McLaren are on an upward trajectory, recruited well, and will go into this season as RB’s most likely closest rivals.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 03 Feb 2024, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

mstar
mstar

zeroday wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:43
K1Plus wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 12:41
Loïc Serra who on the direction of the 22/23 cars disagreed with Mike Elliott.
Actually it was BOTH Serra and Hamilton that disagreed with Elliott. Serra left, and now Hamilton is leaving too. So i'm sure at least part of the reason for Hamilton leaving is because of Elliott's bad choices (and the engineering team not changing course once they knew, even when Hamilton kept telling them) that doomed Mercedes. I'm also sure poor negotiations by MER during contract time, and Hamilton's desire to be at FER before he retires, like all F1 drivers dream. Even Newey said the other day, his biggest regret is never working with FER nor Hamilton.
oh well We can safely say Mike elliot single-handedly brought down the house of mercedes F1. Out went engineers from Mercedes Engines, design, and now lewis. Oh and i forgot he left too.

Venturiation
Venturiation

mstar wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 16:43
zeroday wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:43
K1Plus wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 12:41
Loïc Serra who on the direction of the 22/23 cars disagreed with Mike Elliott.
Actually it was BOTH Serra and Hamilton that disagreed with Elliott. Serra left, and now Hamilton is leaving too. So i'm sure at least part of the reason for Hamilton leaving is because of Elliott's bad choices (and the engineering team not changing course once they knew, even when Hamilton kept telling them) that doomed Mercedes. I'm also sure poor negotiations by MER during contract time, and Hamilton's desire to be at FER before he retires, like all F1 drivers dream. Even Newey said the other day, his biggest regret is never working with FER nor Hamilton.
oh well We can safely say Mike elliot single-handedly brought down the house of mercedes F1. Out went engineers from Mercedes Engines, design, and now lewis. Oh and i forgot he left too.
if the W15 isn't good enough others will jump ship