Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: Ferrari SF-24

It is noticeable that Ferrari obviously again has a different gear ratio than Red Bull (and also Mercedes, because Mercedes also drives the marked areas in third gear like Red Bull instead of second gear like Ferrari).

Vanja #66

Vinlarr89 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 11:19
What wings have been tested on the car so far and which wing do we expect to be fitted for Jeddah? Last year IIRC they ran a different wing to Bahrain. Would we expect a lower DF wing to be ran in Jeddah?
That's a good question, they've used the new low-downforce wing (from Spa 23) in Fiorano for a few laps only. As things stand, the medium level wing used in Bahrain is probably too big for Jeddah. Also, SF23 was really good in low downforce tracks the whole season (other than Jeddah, when they didn't set the car up for the low downforce) compared to medium and high df tracks, so SF24 could ultimately do better in Jeddah with a low df wing. They will have to test both wings and it might be a case of Vegas, Day 1 on higher df wing, but Day 2 and 3 on lower df wing, with a better, rubberred in track.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 11:46
Vinlarr89 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 11:19
What wings have been tested on the car so far and which wing do we expect to be fitted for Jeddah? Last year IIRC they ran a different wing to Bahrain. Would we expect a lower DF wing to be ran in Jeddah?
That's a good question, they've used the new low-downforce wing (from Spa 23) in Fiorano for a few laps only. As things stand, the medium level wing used in Bahrain is probably too big for Jeddah. Also, SF23 was really good in low downforce tracks the whole season (other than Jeddah, when they didn't set the car up for the low downforce) compared to medium and high df tracks, so SF24 could ultimately do better in Jeddah with a low df wing. They will have to test both wings and it might be a case of Vegas, Day 1 on higher df wing, but Day 2 and 3 on lower df wing, with a better, rubberred in track.
I personally feel they'll only have a change of beam wing

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Would they not run spa spec wing?

scuderiabrandon

Vinlarr89 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 14:46
Would they not run spa spec wing?
These discussions should take place in the team thread sine were speculating but I won't rule it out. I personally think we'll run the same wing with a skinny solo beam wing.

Vanja #66

scuderiabrandon wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 14:53
These discussions should take place in the team thread sine were speculating but I won't rule it out. I personally think we'll run the same wing with a skinny solo beam wing.
Well, both wings were already on the car and Spa 23 wing is confirmed as low donforce solution. Discussing a choice between these two is a technical discussion about the car, not a speculation.

Last year they had to use then-new mid lvl wing since they didn't verify it in Bahrain as intended and combined it with smaller beam wing. They lost a bit on straights then, but this new mid lvl wing is bigger and they'd likely be again 10+ kmh slower on all straights, like 2022.

#BlessYouLaddie

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

I suppose the key factor to consider is whilst achieving the right balance of DF against aero efficiency is important.it’s also essential to maintain a good advantage whilst deploying DRS. Running a larger rear wing with a smaller beam should result in a bigger DRS advantage which will be important factor. That being said, Ferrari don’t want to be running more DF than is needed as too speed will be important.

In terms of DRS differential with the SPA rear wing setup, does anyone have the data vs the wing that was ran in Bahrain?

hollus

I've moved a few posts with comparative lap times (and replies) to the team thread.

Lap times and specially comparative lap times... slippery slope to an endless pit in the car threads.
Post them in the team threads or in the race threads. Please and thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

Sevach
Sevach

https://formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-introduc ... fficiency/
New rear wing for Jeddah.

Charles loses with brake issues estimated at 6 tenths.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 11:17
https://formu1a.uno/ferrari-a-jeddah-pi ... osteriore/

So according to Formu1a.uno Ferrari will introduce a new rear wing for Jeddah. Not clear if it's completely new or from last year though.
Considering Cardile said that they are working on changing all the rear wing specs, maybe it's a completely new one.
Sevach wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 11:34
https://formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-introduc ... fficiency/
New rear wing for Jeddah.

This is an illustration of the "new" wing which is identical to the Spa 23 wing, as we discussed yesterday. It was on the car for a few laps in Maranello, so I can't see them introducing another spec again. 3 wings + Monza/Vegas special are quite enough for a season :mrgreen:

#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

Agree, this wing was the only one that already had cut endplates last year, something that now will be expanded to the rest of the family.
So it's still up to date and Ferrari doesn't need a new version to replace it.

LM10
LM10

Sevach wrote:
So my estimation of around half a second was not far-fetched at all! That was a huge handicap. Charles would have been really close to, if not fighting Max without this issue I suppose.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

LM10 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 12:20
Sevach wrote:
So my estimation of around half a second was not far-fetched at all! That was a huge handicap. Charles would have been really close to, if not fighting Max without this issue I suppose.
Maybe only 2-3 tenths off Max pace, the fact Leclerc was fuming after the race shows how competitive he thought he was going to be.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Glad to see that a medium low wing is ready for Jeddah.
Last year Ferrari were loosing 8-10 kmh to red bull on top speed without DRS and what looks like close to 15 with it as a result of the wing choice.

On a track like Jeddah where there is virtually no deg at all you would have to advocate running an aggressive setup designed to maximise the potential of the floor across the weight range of the race and make the car as slippery as possible.

Vanja #66

SiLo wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 23:11
Thanks Vanja!
FDD wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:06
I think that some of us (me for sure) do not understand properly effect of the curvature/shape of the main profile, both longitudinal and transversal.
It would be nice if/when you have time (will also :) ) to prepare some post/explanation maybe in the part "Aerodynamics, chassis and tires".
Thank You
This thread is ready and early results are in :)

viewtopic.php?t=31625

#BlessYouLaddie