McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I think I heard somewhere that the EBD is essentially 'free' downforce, with a very minimal drag coefficient, probably I'm guessing due to the profile of the floor, and the fact that it doesn't create downforce per-say in the way that the wings do, rather by creating a low pressure underneath the car; The Redbull has arguably the most refined EBD, and can therefore afford to run skinnier wings and still have high downforce with relatively low drag. That's my understanding anyway, I'm sure it will get picked apart haha.

Richied76
Richied76

PhillipM wrote:
HampusA wrote: Does it really though? I mean what to do when your finally past?
Leave the RB in the corners, make them work for an overtake on the straights, slow them down, then sail on for another couple of laps when they pit as their tyres are knackered from working the car so hard in the turbulant air...
Exactly. And yes it makes perfect sence. whats the point of being slippy behind them, yet hit the limiter and never be able to get past at all? Even if they do come back at us they dont have track position nor do they have a clear picture to how there strategy will pan out. Oh and from what i saw on the laptiming majority of the race at Spa mclaren were matching RB in sector 2.

The one thing that is starting to agrevate me though is that people cant see past the aero! can it dont pass your minds they gearing, engine output, engine mode, cooling needs, kers, set up ect could have a bigger input that just how big the wings are.

PlatinumZealot

PhillipM wrote:
Leave the RB in the corners, make them work for an overtake on the straights, slow them down, then sail on for another couple of laps when they pit as their tyres are knackered from working the car so hard in the turbulant air...
Two words.. Pit-stop undercut :wink:
It has been working like a charm for RB ever since.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Richied76
Richied76

n smikle wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Two words.. Pit-stop undercut :wink:
It has been working like a charm for RB ever since.
untill there tires are in shreds and mclaren are hunting them down...canada...monaco...spa to a certain degree...china...
Funny enough is always seams to be jenson aswell, hunting the redbulls down in the last laps of the race. seb was lucky the rules saved his backside in monaco

HampusA

I doubt it. This is Monza :)

Vettel will take off, wave bye bye to the Macs that will have enough problems looking in the mirrors due to their mistake by driving with a huge rear wing.

They start 2nd and 3rd. If Vettel gets away during the first lap, how are they planning to use the DRS?

one of them will always be at a disadvantage if Vettel just takes off like he always does.
The truth will come out...

Lycoming
Lycoming

I can see vettel easily pulling out a 1s (or probably, much bigger than that) gap before DRS kicks in. Still, its a long run down to the first corner and Red Bull in general are not the greatest of starters. Mclaren needs to get ahead in the first corner, or they will struggle for opportunities later on.

Richied76
Richied76

thats what i've been trying to say. Yes they will have (MAYBE) more drag than the red bull but if they can stay close, hopefully from more corner speed, then if they get a chance to overtake, the gearing will allow them to have the extra speed while the redbulls with active DRS will be on the limiter. Either that or redbull have excesive tire wear on the right front and have to pit early/more. Like you say, if they dont keep with vettel on the first lap they could be buggered!

HampusA

It´s one hell of a gamble that´s for sure.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

It's a gamble yes, but at this stage what have they got to lose? second in the constructors perhaps? Unlikely if you ask me.

Richied76
Richied76

as we've seen with alot of races this year its more important to look after the tires. looking back at some of the quali laps vettel put on his tires they wont be lasting long tommorrow. he was opposite locking around quite alot of the slower corners

OH and http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94453 My point all along!
Last edited by Richied76 on 10 Sep 2011, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

donskar
donskar

Richied76 wrote:as we've seen with alot of races this year its more important to look after the tires. looking back at some of the quali laps vettel put on his tires they wont be lasting long tommorrow. he was opposite locking around quite alot of the slower corners
If taking care of tires is key to McLaren's race, then put your money on Button.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

HampusA

Well it´s Monza so it´s one of the tracks where tire wear is the least of the worries.

As long as you don´t lock up or get tailhappy to much they should do fine here.
I think they will do way better then we think. Especially the harder compound.

Richied76
Richied76

HampusA wrote:Well it´s Monza so it´s one of the tracks where tire wear is the least of the worries.

As long as you don´t lock up or get tailhappy to much they should do fine here.
I think they will do way better then we think. Especially the harder compound.
yeah i agree, i think there will be a hell of alot of lock ups though, Lewis lcoked up alot on his final quali lap and Vettel was locking on his fastest. Maybe its not wear thats so much of a worry, maybe just flat spotting the tires. A problem that Mclaren have had quite a bit of

raymondu999

Even back when this was a refueling formula; where the order of the day was "sprint every lap of the race," 1-stoppers were the most common strategy.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PhillipM
PhillipM

HampusA wrote:It´s one hell of a gamble that´s for sure.
I'm not so sure, both drivers on a similar pace, on P2 and P3 on the grid, even if Vettel does his normal trick and gets over 1s ahead, with two DRS zones the Mclarens can slipstream each other to their hearts content to pull themselves back up to vettel.