Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Re: Mercedes GP W02

dren wrote:
With the new rear exhaust, where do you all expect the next performance updates to be on the car? Do you think the double radiators will spill over to the W03? Will we see the return of the MK3 frong wing?

I think we'll see some reworking of the rear bodywork a few times before the year is out. The front and rear wing seem pretty well sorted, not sure if there is much to gain there.

To me the new exhaust allows the team to improve the front of the car, as the rear tyres run colder now. This means they can develop more grip at the rear which may be the gate for the MKIII frontwing. As i said many times before, the good lap times recorded during tests in cold barcelona were the result of a "tyre heatener". It was not the aerodynamical gain, but the hot air. The team only added the bigger vanes to prevent hot air from hitting the tyres LATER on. And i do agree with a reworked rear bodywork as it seems to be only the first try of an improvement.

Ferraripilot

xpensive wrote:
donskar wrote: ...
Their car is a failure -- not every mechanical device, even from the best technical teams is a winner. I only question how long M-B will allow themselves to be disgraced on the world stage.
The car is indeed terrible and apart from that glimpse of hope in China, which even I fell for, their season is beginning to look futile. While I'm sure that the Daimler board will stick to their committment of three seasons, but that's surely it, afterwhich McLaren will return to "getting the best engines" position.

I'm certain that Ron and Whitmarch is giggling quietly, knowing Norb for fifteen odd seasons that is.

My gosh X, when are you going to drop these staunch positions? MB would have been extremely stupid to decide to only be involved in F1 for 3 seasons. Do you think they are stupid? Also, regarding engines; that position of yours has been proven time and again to be utter nonsense.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

+1 Ferraripilot

=D>
More could have been done.
David Purley

tjaeger
tjaeger

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Donskar

I fully agree the W02 is not up to the Mercedes standard.
Unfortunately yet again. Hope for next years car the W03.
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

marcush.
marcush.

apart from the money and Norby theres not much interms of german engineering and principals in the W02 methinks.
But :so is the RB7 ..so the lack of german engineering ios not holding it back.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Hmmm, the engine is built in the UK but it has substantial german influence.
Theres plenty Merc Engineers at Brackely who answer the term Herr...

Two nuts holding the steering wheels are German...

I guess if you want to see a proper German racing machine you need to look toward Audi and their R18TDi (ooops off topic)

dren

Honda!

Coefficient
Coefficient

Raptor22 wrote:Hmmm, the engine is built in the UK but it has substantial german influence.
Theres plenty Merc Engineers at Brackely who answer the term Herr...

Two nuts holding the steering wheels are German...

I guess if you want to see a proper German racing machine you need to look toward Audi and their R18TDi (ooops off topic)

Indeed, tis a pretty thing to be sure!! I wish they'd join in the F1 party!!!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

dren wrote:Image
Is this from Germany?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

dren

I just looked at the file location...looks like it is not. That is what they ran in the UK.
Honda!

madly
madly

'New' exhaust :D ;-)

xpensive
xpensive

Ferraripilot wrote: ...
My gosh X, when are you going to drop these staunch positions? MB would have been extremely stupid to decide to only be involved in F1 for 3 seasons. Do you think they are stupid? Also, regarding engines; that position of yours has been proven time and again to be utter nonsense.
- First of all, Daimler might not be stupid, but perhaps very much gullable towards Brawn and Haug.
- Secondly, they would be xtremely stupid if they didn't geve their best engines to their own team.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ferraripilot

xpensive wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote: ...
- First of all, Daimler might not be stupid, but perhaps very much gullable towards Brawn and Haug.
- Secondly, they would be xtremely stupid if they didn't geve their best engines to their own team.

Not the time nor place to get into the details why you are wrong on those points again. The MB engine thread clarifies points regarding F1 engine mechanics and their consistency in very good detail. And the MB team thread is open for discussion regarding why you believe they are gullable.

xpensive
xpensive

And what's wrong with you then pilot, you throw me questions, but when you don't like the answers you simply tell me it's the wrong thred? #-o
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Byronrhys

Rear end looking tight again.