Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Red Bull RB18

chrisc90

The more videos and discussion that comes out, the more im thinking this years RB is another work of art! And still sounds like plenty of areas to develop

AriaanGert
AriaanGert

rileykirn wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 17:58
I think the containment & extra insulation around the brakes this year have to do with the fact that the hot air can only exit the back inisde off the wheel, the same side it enters on. How air is blown into the center of the hub, is forced out through the vent holes & channels in the brake rotor & then is captured & exits out the back inside rear of the hub.
Brings up an idea/question: Could it be useful to install a heating/cooling device on the brakes? it could help to heat up the tyres. For a restart or after new tyres, since they are not allowed to preheat properly.

ojir19

DRS
Image Image
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

OO7
OO7

OO7 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:45
RB look like they've manage to raise the rear crash structure/gearbox section within the diffuser, so it occupies less volume than others.
The following image offers a better comparison of the raised, rear crashed structure Red Bull are using with their RB18, in contrast to that used at Mercedes on the W13:

OO7
OO7

Looking at it again, it could be the RB uses a longer, shallower structure, while the Mercedes' is shorter but deeper, with the net result being a similar volume potential?

chrisc90

Has there been any news regarding the porpoising on the RB?

HPD

"It's not difficult to solve the problem. It's mainly difficult not to lose any lap time with that solution," Newey

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... en-pumpen/

ringo

Thr beam wing of redbull seems to be more rearward, extending the size of the diffuser with a smoother transition compared to other cars where the beam wing sits directly above the diffuser.
Correct me if i am wrong ig the rules limit their relative positioning but based on the pics the redbull beam wing seems to be more rareward and has an almost tangential transition with the main diffuser. This will effectively increase the diffusers overall size.
For Sure!!

ringo

Are the cars purposely sitting the rear end of the car to the ground at speed?
A few of the shots the care look lile theyre squatting to seal the floor more and increase ground effect. I dont know if its being done in the corners or on the straights.
For Sure!!

jjn9128

ringo wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 16:25
Are the cars purposely sitting the rear end of the car to the ground at speed?
A few of the shots the care look lile theyre squatting to seal the floor more and increase ground effect. I dont know if its being done in the corners or on the straights.
The side of the floor isn't a straight reference anymore so it's hard to tell actual car attitude from most pics. Also the edges of the floor seem to be bending and physically sealing the ground.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Tim.Wright

AeroDynamic wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 19:22
He's claiming it's a pro-dive but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. My estimations put it at around 30% anti-dive.
Not the engineer at Force India

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Nice hi-res shot of the sidepod area and floor (Photo: Pirelli / Red Bull, edited by: MAXF1.net)

PlatinumZealot

Yeah definitely.

The old cars had settling effect from driving as the front wings moved lower, but that is not the cars for these cars. It is more important to keep the tunnel from "chopping off" segements of flow as it pitches and rolls.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Henk_v
Henk_v

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 11:50
Has there been any news regarding the porpoising on the RB?
In the Dutch article on nu.nl it is said that on the first Day porpoising was particularly violent at Red Bull, but after some tuning it settled. In an article that just appeared on gpblog.com about the rumoured aero pack for the W13 it is stated that the floor needs to be stiffened.

I suspect teams went to the limit in flexing floors in Barcelona and will have stiffer floors next test, stiffness based on the gathered data