2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

SchuMassa wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:12
Sedaxel wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:01
Alonso overtook Stroll and could have been fighting with Hulk for 6th.

Then took a bad decision staying over more lap. I guess he did do because Hulk stopped, and he wanted to make the opposite, trying to overtake.

From that moment on, nothing left to do. Lost position with Stroll and just took the car home.
Stroll was quicker in the last stint.
He was told to lift and coast to be fair, apparently he finished close with fuel. But I agree with you that he must show stronger performances, car is improving and there will be no more excuses left

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

I'm confident he will bounce back after the summer break, his wrist injury might be a limiting factor for him at this point.

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

SchuMassa wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:12
Sedaxel wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:01
Alonso overtook Stroll and could have been fighting with Hulk for 6th.

Then took a bad decision staying over more lap. I guess he did do because Hulk stopped, and he wanted to make the opposite, trying to overtake.

From that moment on, nothing left to do. Lost position with Stroll and just took the car home.
Stroll was quicker in the last stint.
I don't think so.

He did exit pits 5 seconds behind Stroll, and was 3 seconds behind after 10 laps or so. So actually he was faster than Stroll. Then, I guess it was the lift and coast thing, but also the nonsense of keep pushing for nothing. Since there were just 4 or 5 laps to go, It was just smarter to take the car home, don't take risks, and take care of the motor.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

He spent most of the time behind Stroll,Lec, and Hulk. He has to Qualify at least front of Stroll to gain some places. Else this will be the repeat of every race weekend.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

diffuser wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:42
selvam_e2002 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:38
Alonso opted to stay out for a lap... hence Stroll undercut him. Alonso should stick to his decision to stay out for couple of laps 2 or 3 then he would have gain those position with medium tyre... but it is a gamble and this time failed. He over took Strol on the track. Strol is very slow on race pace... with Strol AM cannot win Single WDC even newey creates racing wining car....

If you think about it. If Alonso, would have pitted, Stroll would have had to go around 1 more lap, you lose too much time in a double stack when the cars are that close together. Stroll likely would have finished lower than 8th. You could argue, Alonso made the best decision for the team results.
Okay. I agree....Alonso need to be in front of Stroll else the team will be like this for every race....

KimiRai
KimiRai

Fernando 'sees the light' after Silverstone
"We can improve and hopefully we will do so in Hungary".

"We had pace the whole race, both in the dry and in the wet we were going relatively well, as we were just before Barcelona let's say, always behind the big four, but being able to pick up points every race. Let's see if we can get back to that from now on.
Onward to Hungary and if there's new parts they must work
Last edited by KimiRai on 07 Jul 2024, 19:07, edited 3 times in total.

Nikosar
Nikosar

Cannot understand this frustration. Nothing changes, in the end, swapping Stroll and Alonso would have brought home the same points. There was no mistake. They are not in competition for the title so there are no team orders. Maybe hunting Hulkenberg was possible but does not change a lot and overall it was a great week-end.

We needed this to turn into a positive ascending curve

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

He said "what a pity those last bad races because of making experiments".

Ouch.

He also more or less said that, even with supposed upgrades in Hungary, they'll hardly be able to beat none of the top 4 teams.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

Nikosar wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:03
Cannot understand this frustration. Nothing changes, in the end, swapping Stroll and Alonso would have brought home the same points. There was no mistake. They are not in competition for the title so there are no team orders. Maybe hunting Hulkenberg was possible but does not change a lot and overall it was a great week-end.

Yes. Performance came back to the position before Imola. They tried new things... It didn't work. That's life. If upgrades worked, We all would be cheering the team.

Same for Alo bad decision of staying one more lap. If it worked, We all would be saying he's a genius...

At the end, an overall improvement, and let's hope for Hungary to bring better news.

diffuser

selvam_e2002 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:49
He spent most of the time behind Stroll,Lec, and Hulk. He has to Qualify at least front of Stroll to gain some places. Else this will be the repeat of every race weekend.
Be honest, what are the chances Alonso can beat Hulk's 1:26.338 in Q3 with perfect outlap? The only chance he had was race pace which the rain kind of eliminated.

diffuser

Sedaxel wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:11
Nikosar wrote:

Yes. Performance came back to the position before Imola. They tried new things... It didn't work. That's life. If upgrades worked, We all would be cheering the team.

Same for Alo bad decision of staying one more lap. If it worked, We all would be saying he's a genius...

At the end, an overall improvement, and let's hope for Hungary to bring better news.
Hopefully it means they've figured out what they did wrong with the Imola updates. It will be "all eyes on them" in Hungry.

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

diffuser wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:25
selvam_e2002 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:49
Be honest, what are the chances Alonso can beat Hulk's 1:26.338 in Q3 with perfect outlap? The only chance he had was race pace which the rain kind of eliminated.
There was a point in the race where Alonso was close to overtaking Hulkenberg, I had seen the gaps even drop to 0.018. However, in qualifying Alonso did a 1.26.8 on used tyres,so it was possible to make a low 26

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

AM was so much better than expected, honestly. Silverstone could have been a disaster because has a lot of high speed corners and the car dont fit with the circuit, but, we can fight similiar to Canada, where that car was "great". Stroll crossed the line around 10 seconds behind Sainz, so, Ferrari is not good now, but AM last week was horrendous. This weekend give me hope about future updates, especially because until now, we didnt see any changes making car better, since canada 2023, it was the first time the changes worked weel They need find way to improve, especially for the end of year and next year, because they will not expend a lot of time with development next year, where the focus will be on 2026 car, obviously.

zoroastar

Nikosar wrote:

yeah i agree haha. if its couple of bad races, the team is doomed and alonso is over the hill. if its a good race, alonso is over the hill regardless. fighting it out for 7th and 8th doesnt matter in alonsos eyes. he is willing to give lance a few here and there, for better team dynamics most likely. if the car is going to be fighting for podiums or championships, im pretty sure things are going to be like last year. the Sky anouncer always makes a point, to point out how many times lance has now outqualified alonso, every single week, 3 or 4 times. usually he only does that for williams, because logan sargent has barely ever outqualified albon. all eyes are on alonso, just waiting for the smallest sign that hes getting slow. its a no win situation for him, and slightly ridiculous. i will give it to stroll that he seems to have improved over last year, and thats a good thing, not a reason to turn it around on alonso. at least not for astons fans. thats whats confusing for me. people would rather pull out their torches and pitch forks for anything instead of being happy about the car improving haha