Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
fiohaa wrote:
fiohaa wrote:what is the giant black tower attached onto the T-Cam - i presume its some sort of measuring device?
anyone?
It's a pitot tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube

X, you're wrong mate. You said they would change in Mugello and they haven't. Let's get on with the real problems of the F2012. :)
+1

xpensive
xpensive

So you're ganging up on me, X2 and Z, but we'll see about this, won't we?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

amouzouris

xpensive wrote:So you're ganging up on me, X2 and Z, but we'll see about this, won't we?
not ganging!..just agreeing with each other...no hard feelings!! :D

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

xpensive wrote:So you're ganging up on me, X2 and Z, but we'll see about this, won't we?
:D You know it's all in fun mate. The true test will be once/if/when they get the car sorted, if there's anything in particular that hinders the car. Monaco for instance will be interesting.

About the new turning vanes:

They have a twisted shape that allows air to blow between the two elements: one part goes into the sidepod inlets to cool the radiator and some is channeled towards the rear diffuser.

About time Ferrari did something different with those turning vanes.

zyphro
zyphro

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:...
Mercedes haven't invested much time in the exhausts, yet they have a race win.

zyphro
zyphro

wesley123 wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:
alogoc wrote:yes it is!big time!
Please demonstrate why?

Brian
Well just take a look at every team, why would any team waste crucial development time on something that is nothing more useful than a front wing tweak?
Remember when everyone was trying to replicate the flexi-wing?

Erm, yeah...

zyphro
zyphro

alogoc wrote:
zyphro wrote:I don't see why they continue trying the exhaust solutions to be honest; it's not the key to this year.
yes it is!big time!
No it's not, "big time" would be if it had the same effect as last yr.

Clearly that effect is dramatically reduced; there's a limit as to how far you can go with these exhausts.

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

listen guys....to me,this exhaust discussion is exhausting. Don`t waste a comment on that bad joke. But to be honest, i see williams, caterham, force india and toro rosso changing not only their thougts about airflow, but as a result: their exhaust solution. So, it has to be a deal that is just as big as it has to be to result in a change. We don`t need to talk about the benefit anymore as it is evident.

bhall
bhall

It's far from evident.

Simulating the exhaust plume and its interaction with air flow and components of a car's bodywork is one of the biggest challenges for a team when designing a car. The variables involved make it next to impossible to carry out meaningful investigations via CFD, and the overall complexity of those interactions make wind tunnel testing tantamount to landing on the moon. These are the very reasons why Ferrari's original exhaust failed upon its practical application.

That teams are scrambling with as many as three or four different exhaust solutions strongly suggests that even they aren't exactly sure about the benefits of one over the other. In the past, optimal solutions to technical dilemmas were obvious, because teams very quickly landed on identical solutions. That's not the case at all with the 2012 exhaust rules.

We've had four different winning constructors over the first four races, and between them, they've displayed three different exhaust philosophies. Because of that, the only thing that's evident about exhaust implementations these days is that nothing is evident about exhaust implementations these days.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Look at Red Bull. Look at everything they've done relating to the exhausts. They even went so far as to run two completely difference spec cars throughout an entire weekend to gather data, especially exhaust data. That should be enough demonstration for even Brian. :?
They are working on a system that is visible that us. Does this visibility make this system more important that say spring rates, dampening values, or tire management. You guys are just making a big think out of one of the few systems you can see changing. There is no way to assign a level of importance to the current exhaust systems under these circumstances.

Brian

kebab
kebab

hardingfv32 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Look at Red Bull. Look at everything they've done relating to the exhausts. They even went so far as to run two completely difference spec cars throughout an entire weekend to gather data, especially exhaust data. That should be enough demonstration for even Brian. :?
They are working on a system that is visible that us. Does this visibility make this system more important that say spring rates, dampening values, or tire management. You guys are just making a big think out of one of the few systems you can see changing. There is no way to assign a level of importance to the current exhaust systems under these circumstances.

Brian
And there is equally no way to underestimate the importance of the current exhaust under these circumstances.

Pierce89

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
fiohaa wrote:
fiohaa wrote:what is the giant black tower attached onto the T-Cam - i presume its some sort of measuring device?
anyone?
It's a pitot tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube

X, you're wrong mate. You said they would change in Mugello and they haven't. Let's get on with the real problems of the F2012. :)
The big thing on top is not a pitot tube. It transmits a lot more telemetry back to the pits than they are able to do without it. Just a big transmitter/antenna.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Mr.G

IIRC it's pitot tube (two), and it was nicely dscribed in one of the Ferrari's video magasines from 2012 (part one or two).
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Hail22

Another angle of the floor flo-vis for all of the Tifosi/Aero Enthusiasts.

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Pierce89 wrote:The big thing on top is not a pitot tube. It transmits a lot more telemetry back to the pits than they are able to do without it. Just a big transmitter/antenna.
Are you sure about that? I thought it was that high just to get it out of the disturbed air.