2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
emp
emp

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

https://www.racefans.net/2023/06/12/mcl ... ll-horner/
Although Marshall has continued to attend races this year, and collected the winners’ trophy for the team at the Australian Grand Prix, Horner said he had been moved into a role outside the F1 operation and was keen to return to one.

“He played a significant role within the team but over recent years he’s moved onto other projects and hasn’t been on the mainstream of Formula 1,” Horner explained. “After 17 years he had an offer, a significant offer, from McLaren. Whilst he still had a period of time left on his contract, he was keen to go back into Formula 1, and so we came to an agreement with him.

How can anyone say that he wasn't involved anymore when he was on the podium in Australia collecting the trophy for the team ? Horner is just doing PR work to seem that it isn't a big loss, but I think that he knows, just like Fallows at AM, that he will bring a lot of (good) ideas at McLaren, not just about the car.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Yeah Horner is nothing more than a bater in the media these days. You get more truth from Marko haha.

He tries to spin it like Rob was “out of F1”- despite him working on Red Bull power train integrations. Given that is probably the biggest strategic move and investment Red Bull has EVER made, you don’t put people in there who aren’t value-adders.

Can’t wait for Rob to get to work along with the rest of the technical team.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Mansell89 wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 21:29
Yeah Horner is nothing more than a bater in the media these days. You get more truth from Marko haha.

He tries to spin it like Rob was “out of F1”- despite him working on Red Bull power train integrations. Given that is probably the biggest strategic move and investment Red Bull has EVER made, you don’t put people in there who aren’t value-adders.

Can’t wait for Rob to get to work along with the rest of the technical team.
Exactly! There's probably no more important project now than RBPT, it says a lot about his expertise. We know he's not in charge of the engines, but the chassis, which means he knows a lot about the chassis, which is fantastic. I do hope he comes along with a few guys with him though.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 17:50
McLaren are still light on the senior engineers side. Even with the 3 TD's, you still need effective senior staff that work directly under them. The guys currently there, while probably very good, the team needs senior staff, like head of aero to come from a race winning team. I'm not sure McLaren replaced those guys that left the team.

They did... Not sure of exactly how many... Here's one...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 01%20team.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 10:16
Ground Effect wrote:
McLaren are still light on the senior engineers side. Even with the 3 TD's, you still need effective senior staff that work directly under them. The guys currently there, while probably very good, the team needs senior staff, like head of aero to come from a race winning team. I'm not sure McLaren replaced those guys that left the team.

Oh, I forgot about this, thanks a lot. 15 is quite a significant number, hopefully they'll make a positive impact on the '24 car before Sanchez and Marshall join up.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

genarro
genarro

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 10:37
mclaren111 wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Oh, I forgot about this, thanks a lot. 15 is quite a significant number, hopefully they'll make a positive impact on the '24 car before Sanchez and Marshall join up.
We got to hand it to Stella. He's doing all the right steps on this matter. Firstly get your own technical team to perform on the highest level, then go for a works deal.

I would love to see McLaren winning races and championships again but we still have a long way in front of us so again we'll have to be patient.

mclaren111

genarro wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 14:25
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 10:37
mclaren111 wrote:

We got to hand it to Stella. He's doing all the right steps on this matter. Firstly get your own technical team to perform on the highest level, then go for a works deal.

I would love to see McLaren winning races and championships again but we still have a long way in front of us so again we'll have to be patient.

Agreed... 2023 is a Write Off... Everything they do on MCL60 after the Austria / Silverstone upgrade must be focused on 2024...

diffuser

CjC wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 14:40
Balalu wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 14:08
Sounds to me like Horner tried to downplay loosing Marshall.
Never. Not Christian Horner!
:lol:
What worries me more isn't what he said but what he didn't do. He didn't go out of his to way to keep him.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 22:42
CjC wrote:
Balalu wrote:
What worries me more isn't what he said but what he didn't do. He didn't go out of his to way to keep him.
After 17 years and all the contributions he’s made to the success of Red Bull Racing, I guess he’s earned the right to go out on his terms. Besides when Adrian Newey is earning 75% of their cap, what can you do? He was moved because of the cap, going by what Horner said. Importantly, he wasn’t let go, they found a place for him, which to me says a lot.

mwillems

To be fair he isn't here to design all the parts for the car himself, he's here to manage a team effectively who can design areas of the car and I'm sure he can do that. And of course we also want to low down on what he knows makes the Red Bull fast, and I'm sure he has a lot of knowledge there!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

diffuser wrote:
CjC wrote:
Balalu wrote:
Not so sure, sounds like the ‘big’ teams are struggling to keep all of their upper personnel happy.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-b ... /10482540/
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

CjC wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 01:01
diffuser wrote:
CjC wrote:

Not so sure, sounds like the ‘big’ teams are struggling to keep all of their upper personnel happy.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-b ... /10482540/
No doudt RBR are struggling to keep personal. The others less but as well.

MrGapes

Montreal will be a tougher weekend (if dry), this circuit is a characterisation of every weakness this car has.

Expect a higher df wing compared to others, otherwise will struggle massively in low - med speed.

Any word on the wind tunnel/sim? I would expect a shift any time now..

mclaren111

MrGapes wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 06:23
Montreal will be a tougher weekend (if dry), this circuit is a characterisation of every weakness this car has.

Expect a higher df wing compared to others, otherwise will struggle massively in low - med speed.

New Wind Tunnel will only be used for 2024 car...

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

MrGapes wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 06:23
The last news on the tunnel I could find was it's coming online in June, but sounds like they'll use it only for the 2024 car at first. It doesn't say they won't use it on the current car later on this year though. Might it not be difficult (or lead to false conclusions) if they compare data from the old and the new tunnel, given the difference in size and facilities (and fidelity)?

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-revea ... ind-tunnel
Team Principal Andrea Stella says the team is on course for its revised targets, with the 2024 car set to be the first to get evaluated in the new facilities.

"We are hopeful to have the new car in the wind tunnel, which should be at that stage in June," he told media, including RacingNews365.com.