Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
muelte
muelte

Re: Ferrari F2012

Nothing similar to Mclaren or RBR/Sauber as 'expected' by most media... Looks fairly conventional, let's see how it performs

Hail22

1:21:772.

This looks like a completely in house exhaust nothing like Mclaren, Sauber or RBR.

It could be a customised rendition but its completely their own concept.

So far live reports are saying the car is "planted".
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Acer Duct revision

bhall
bhall

At first glance, it would appear they've decided not to even try to seal the diffuser.

SdeF1
SdeF1

see also 2 pipes for the w-duct?

Hail22

If you take a closer look, the ehxaust looks like a simple "bolt on" addition without the new engine cover, are they testing two variants of exhausts?

Edit: Yes i do see a pipe coming from the rear crash structure, very good spotting!
Last edited by Hail22 on 03 May 2012, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

afiq
afiq

better res

amouzouris

bhallg2k wrote:At first glance, it would appear they've decided not to even try to seal the diffuser.
yes...that's what it appears they've done....question now is....are they planning to compare today's exhaust with tuesdays and bring the version that works in barcelona?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:At first glance, it would appear they've decided not to even try to seal the diffuser.
Indeed. Maybe they have something else too? Who knows. See vertical split in engine cover?

raymondu999

For what it's worth - IMO it looks like the A-spec RB8.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kebab
kebab

This version seems to blow the upper wishbone thus no turning vane on the floor near the diffuser. I doubt they will try the "blown diffuser" version in the afternoon as if they do they will have to change the exhaust, floor and engine cover, quite a big amount of work...but I would love to be proved wrong.
Last edited by kebab on 03 May 2012, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Looks like it, but maybe those somewhat U shaped sidepods divert gasses where they are meant to go... Although, there aren't any floor openings and it looks nothing like solution introduced in Tuesday...

Time is promising, and I am really looking forward to next couple of hours.

This solution looks like a crossover between MP4-27 and first F2012 exhaust styles...

Anyone interested in photoshoping todays and Jerez solutions?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Goran2812
Goran2812

the front of the sidepods looks to have more undercut from this upper angle...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Postmoe

You said teams were trying to put to work exhausts without even knowing if they could be beneficial in creating direct DF.

That means exhausts are to be used more for reducing drag, changing vortices... than to seal things or create massive DF.

I think Ferrari is understanding this possibility or at least takes it into account. And for that they are not trying to simply seal the diffuser.

bhall
bhall

On second thought, maybe the panel on the exhaust housing (highlighted) is removable. It seems like they're still exiting hot air through the now post-Acer ducts. If indeed that panel can be removed and the lip seen yesterday is affixed to the end of the exhaust, the hot air could potentially help direct the exhaust plume.

(Click to enlarge)

EDIT:
Postmoe wrote:

You said teams were trying to put to work exhausts without even knowing if they could be beneficial in creating direct DF.

That means exhausts are to be used more for reducing drag, changing vortices... than to seal things or create massive DF.

I think Ferrari is understanding this possibility or at least takes it into account. And for that they are not trying to simply seal the diffuser.
I never said abandoning efforts to seal the diffuser is a bad thing. It was just an observation.
Last edited by bhall on 03 May 2012, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.