Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari F2012

Could be...

Dont know about you guys, but I am really happy to see such a different solution, and to see that Alonso is now more than a second faster than Tuesday...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

amouzouris

Vanja #66 wrote:Could be...

Dont know about you guys, but I am really happy to see such a different solution, and to see that Alonso is now more than a second faster than Tuesday...
we can't really compare today's time with Tuesday...very different climatic conditions...

Hail22

He is driving on the silver (harder compound). Lets hope whatever happens that whats good on paper eventuates to wins/podiums during grand prixs.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Forza

bhallg2k wrote:On second thought, maybe the panel on the exhaust housing (highlighted) is removable. It seems like they're still exiting hot air through the now post-Acer ducts.
We need better picture but from another angle. I think that by the lower wishbone there is still an opening to extract cooling air. Some of it comes out on top where the new cooling gills are. They didn't redesign the path of internal air flow with this solution.
Last edited by Forza on 03 May 2012, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Postmoe

bhallg2k wrote:
Postmoe wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:At first glance, it would appear they've decided not to even try to seal the diffuser.

You said teams were trying to put to work exhausts without even knowing if they could be beneficial in creating direct DF.

That means exhausts are to be used more for reducing drag, changing vortices... than to seal things or create massive DF.

I think Ferrari is understanding this possibility or at least takes it into account. And for that they are not trying to simply seal the diffuser.
I never said abandoning efforts to seal the diffuser is a bad thing. It was just an observation.
And I never judged it as a bad, good, stupid or smart thing. I was saying that it seems that your notion about exhausts being overrated in the analysis could be pointing the right direction.
Last edited by Postmoe on 03 May 2012, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

Mazdaboy

Look at the picture closer. The rear brake duct also new!
Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

raymondu999

Hail22 wrote:

He is driving on the silver (harder compound). Lets hope whatever happens that whats good on paper eventuates to wins/podiums during grand prixs.
I hate to be a damp squib - but Alonso's Tuesday time was on a damp surface. I'm not saying the Ferrari isn't quicker; I'm just saying times mean rubbish at this point.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall
bhall

Postmoe wrote:And I never judged it as a bad, good, stupid or smart thing. I was saying that it seems that your notion about exhausts being overrated in the analysis could be pointing the right direction.
Yeah, I just noticed that I missed the point.

(I'm not exactly known for my attention to detail.)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson on the most recent F2012 changes:

AUTOSPORT technical consultant Gary Anderson said the changes had the potential to deliver significant gains.

"On the sidepods they’ve put the exhaust pipes into a more conventional position," explained Anderson. “They are not getting any great degree of benefit, but they’re not getting any negatives either, and I think with a troublesome car that’s the best place to get to.

“Because of the way the letterbox exit for the exhaust was being used for a radiator exit they’ve had to compromise a little. They still have a radiator exit there in the new iteration, but it is much narrower and the coke bottle is much better.

“I think what they have done is a reasonable compromise for where they are. They can exploit it further though by getting rid of the radiator, and I think that will be phase two.

“It’s very difficult to quantify the changes in terms of lap time, but I do believe they lost quite a lot of downforce with the letterbox radiator exit system they had. It just isn’t right to feed low speed air from the radiator into an area where you want high-speed flow.

“Potentially you could be looking at two or three tenths from that one change alone.”

Vanja #66

amouzouris wrote:we can't really compare today's time with Tuesday...very different climatic conditions...
At the moment best times in Tuesday were set (12:40-13:05 CET) those times indicate no rain, maybe slightly damp track, and pictures teams posted this morning tell that there is slight overcast...

Don't know about temperatures, though...

Never the less, comparison:

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

bhall
bhall

The shape of the Coke-bottle area is now positively anorexic by Ferrari standards.

FakeAlonso

miket
miket

Wonder whatever happened to that engine cover we saw on the stand at the Chinese GP ?
Might we see that later today.....

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Guys, only technical development discussion in the car threads. I'm saying this in this thread because it gets the most off topic posts.

So comments about crashes, testing times, stops, etc, from tests should not be placed in here. But if you do and then you can't find them, please check the test thread.

Cheers,
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

Where are the rad exits now? Are they exiting it just below the wishbone? Or are they just using those slits ahead of the exhaust?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法