2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
-wkst-
-wkst-

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

AMuS reports that AMR went lower for the race, but was on the safe side as they also changed the plank after the sprint.

Blandin said that the time STR was directly behind ALO in clean air is very valuable.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 15:31
-wkst- wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 10:33
We will see what happens in Mexico. I don't see the things as bright.

As aready mentioned, the team had a 2nd set up chance with the pit lane start, at a sprint week that's pure gold.

Then there is the question: is the car really faster (more DF, less drag, etc) or just more driveable (to help STR)?
According to this twitter account Stroll's top speed was 3kmh higher than Alonso both in DRS and without DRS, so if that's the case then updates likely took away some of the drag. We'd know for sure if we compared telemetries between the two to see where Stroll would be gaining time. So if anyone has it please post it, would be interesting.

Mexico in 2022 was a disaster for the team so who knows, these things sometimes repeat themselves. At least they'll have 3 FPs though with the altitude and how it affects downforce not sure whether that data is as useful.

Don't forget that ALO was out when the car was at it's lightest. Got to make sure you're not using Stroll data from after LAP 45 or so. Especially the last 2 laps, he was holding down the extended boost button down the straight.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Has team clearly articulate why they use 2 specs during race and what's the outcome of race data analysis?

KimiRai
KimiRai

diffuser wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 20:17
Don't forget that ALO was out when the car was at it's lightest. Got to make sure you're not using Stroll data from after LAP 45 or so. Especially the last 2 laps, he was holding down the extended boost button down the straight.
That's a possibility as well. Would love to see telemetry comparison between the two in clear air on a lap with similar tyres, I think that would be more precise. Likely those laps Blandin mentioned are the most valuable for comparison.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 21:15
diffuser wrote:
That's a possibility as well. Would love to see telemetry comparison between the two in clear air on a lap with similar tyres, I think that would be more precise. Likely those laps Blandin mentioned are the most valuable for comparison.
The race distance filled the data memory. "In the middle section, Fernando and Lance were in a six to seven second row, without a car in between. We can draw extremely valuable insights out of it. We'll go deep into the analysis and then find out what's better: old or new car, "says Krack.

search

just noticed that the team did not bring in a new power unit, despite starting from pit lane anyway. So looks like they are confident that they are fine with what they have.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

search wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 00:21
just noticed that the team did not bring in a new power unit, despite starting from pit lane anyway. So looks like they are confident that they are fine with what they have.
I think there are actual logistical issues preventing them from doing this as well.

SSJ4
SSJ4

diffuser wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 21:48
KimiRai wrote:
diffuser wrote:
The race distance filled the data memory. "In the middle section, Fernando and Lance were in a six to seven second row, without a car in between. We can draw extremely valuable insights out of it. We'll go deep into the analysis and then find out what's better: old or new car, "says Krack.
i hate how it's not definitive. also i wonder how much time they wasted on the diffuser winglet and if it will be back

diffuser

SSJ4 wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 00:49
diffuser wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

i hate how it's not definitive. also i wonder how much time they wasted on the diffuser winglet and if it will be back
That AMUS article has them saying they had wind tunnel correlation problems.

organic

diffuser wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 01:49
SSJ4 wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 00:49
diffuser wrote:

That AMUS article has them saying they had wind tunnel correlation problems.
Merc should build a new wind tunnel methinks

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

could some on clarify who used old and new? is Alonso used old and Stroll new.

KimiRai
KimiRai

selvam_e2002 wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 03:26
could some on clarify who used old and new? is Alonso used old and Stroll new.
Yes, Alonso used Qatar specification.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... /10536364/

basti313
basti313

Designing a new package and not even knowing which one is better after even only one FP is generally very bad...
Don`t russel the hamster!

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

basti313 wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 08:49
Designing a new package and not even knowing which one is better after even only one FP is generally very bad...
The upgrades definitely was working better than the old one. The question is why they did setup the floor so high at FP1 and Sprint race? After breaking PF they lowered the floor height and is made a magic. Os something to do with the structure of the asphalt or just they seen that not generating enough vacuum or other teams literally pulling the floor on the asphalt. I also wondering how work the 15mm lifted floor edge at 2023. Seems like some teams playing with floor heights .

-wkst-
-wkst-

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 09:15
basti313 wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 08:49
The upgrades definitely was working better than the old one. The question is why they did setup the floor so high at FP1 and Sprint race? After breaking PF they lowered the floor height and is made a magic.
Parc ferme was after FP1, with barely laps, so they played it safe (quote Krack AMuS). The plank normally has to survive Q + race. In Austin the plank had to survive a race, a sprint race, Q and Q shoot-out at a very bumpy track. HAM and LEC were dqed...

Due to that reason I believe that it was a massive advantage to go lower for the race. Others played it maybe conservative too, but had to live with it. So I wouldn't draw a conclusion if things are better now...