Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crabbia
Crabbia

Re: Ferrari F2012

bhallg2k wrote:You mean like this?
Well no cause that hole was closed with the new exhaust. You have the right idea but I was thinking the inlet is inside the side pod on the floor.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

kebab
kebab

How could the same exhaust plume goes separate way unde the same coanda effect?

Mesteño

kebab wrote:How could the same exhaust plume goes separate way unde the same coanda effect?
Well, not that separated, but working in both directions.

kebab
kebab

Mesteño wrote:
kebab wrote:How could the same exhaust plume goes separate way unde the same coanda effect?
Well, not that separated, but working in both directions.
If so, the plume will be spread out in quite a wide range which will reduce the effect. I just dont see it happen.

Mandrake
Mandrake

bhallg2k wrote:The angle of the picture sucks, but the area I've highlighted in green could be curved forward in such a way that it collects everything passing over the floor and redirects it to the side of the diffuser.

Hopefully some better photos will emerge as the day wears on.
I'm pretty sure there is no hole in the Diffusor "endplate", wouldn't it be illegal anyways? The shape of the diffusor "endplate" has not changed since bahrain, and there was no hole.

Also: I doubt that any of the Teams (McLaren RedBull especially) would have missed such a loophole.

bhall
bhall

I don't think there's a hole in the diffuser, either.

I think they've placed a tunnel on top of it. It's essentially no different that the "octopus" exhaust McLaren trialled and subsequently abandoned a couple of years ago.

THENOMAD79
THENOMAD79

just dif. sidewall, nothing else

.poz
.poz

IMHO what everybody is looking for is to drive the exhaust plume in different places at different speeds. On high speed corners is desirable to have the plume seal the diffuser, on low speed traction corners the plume on the beam wing could give some extra downforce

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

.poz wrote:
IMHO what everybody is looking for is to drive the exhaust plume in different places at different speeds. On high speed corners is desirable to have the plume seal the diffuser, on low speed traction corners the plume on the beam wing could give some extra downforce
You have it backwards. You would prefer "sealing the diffuser" at lower speeds/low speed turns. At higher speeds the exhaust plume will rise.

.poz
.poz

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
You have it backwards. You would prefer "sealing the diffuser" at lower speeds/low speed turns. At higher speeds the exhaust plume will rise.
Wasn't sealing the diffuser that make RB fly on high speed corners last year ?

I mean their point of strength was stability on high speed corners not traction on low speed ones but of course, with current exhaust rules things are different

bhall
bhall

No, he had it right. Drag associated with downforce produced by the diffuser is negligible compared to that created by a wing. So, you want that in fast corners. In fact, that's been a major ingredient in Red Bull's success the last couple of years.

However, I'm not so sure teams are trying to develop switchable exhausts. They appear to be having enough trouble just getting the damn things to work at all.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

.poz wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:

I mean their point of strength was stability on high speed corners not traction on low speed ones but of course, with current exhaust rules things are different
No it was sealing the diffuser that made them so good in the slow-medium corners where you lose the most time if you don't have sufficient downforce.

Edit: Bhall sorry but that's wrong. RB made most of their time on a lap in the slow speed stuff. They were much better than every other team in the slow speed corner due to EDB and overrun. Hence why they used so much overrun. In high speed corners you don't have as much overrun. Again, EDB helped the most in slow speed turns

2nd edit: Ferrari was as fast as RB last year in high speed turns. It's the slow speed stuff where RB pulled far far away.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:No, he had it right. Drag associated with downforce produced by the diffuser is negligible compared to that created by a wing. So, you want that in fast corners. In fact, that's been a major ingredient in Red Bull's success the last couple of years.

However, I'm not so sure teams are trying to develop switchable exhausts. They appear to be having enough trouble just getting the damn things to work at all.
Again, think about it. Red Bulls EDB was so effective because of their overrun. When does overrun happen most? Off throttle. Are you off throttle most in high speed turns or low speed turns? Low speed turns. Again, RB had one of the lowest top speeds of the grid. They were the fastest in the slow corners because they had more downforce going into and out of said slow speed turns.

bhall
bhall

Off-throttle blowing was introduced to stabilize the cars as the driver got off the throttle and applied the brakes heading into a corner. Without that overrun, the rears of the cars lost stability when the effects of the EBD were neutralized by a relatively idle engine.

Postmoe

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
.poz wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:

No it was sealing the diffuser that made them so good in the slow-medium corners where you lose the most time if you don't have sufficient downforce.

Edit: Bhall sorry but that's wrong. RB made most of their time on a lap in the slow speed stuff. They were much better than every other team in the slow speed corner due to EDB and overrun. Hence why they used so much overrun. In high speed corners you don't have as much overrun. Again, EDB helped the most in slow speed turns

2nd edit: Ferrari was as fast as RB last year in high speed turns. It's the slow speed stuff where RB pulled far far away.
You "forget" the incredible effect on breaking stability of the EBD and overrun. The car was very stable, capable of breaking in agressive attack angles tractioning very early after that.