2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
jurinius
jurinius

Re: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 11:44
Jester Maroc wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 11:40
iotar__ wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 09:52
OP thinks refuelling is the solution, another nonsense that can't die #-o after 'durable tyres will help overtaking' and 'pushing 100% 1 stoppers are exciting'. I watched the second half only, except for Grosjean's overtakes nothing interesting. Is the first part worth watching? Probably will anyway.

Verstappen - what a whiner, begging for FIA's help again :D . Look, if the FIA hadn't gifted you position with bogus penalties, maybe you wouldn't have to deal with Grosjean in the first place. Brawn or Ecclestone, no difference, the same corrupted clique ruining this sport, stole some points from Haas and helped marketing chosen ones. Ricciardo is mediocre btw.
Are talking about the same Ricciardo who schooled Vettel in 2014? Ricciardo is doing a great job IMO and might have been able to pass Verstappen had there been a couple more laps left in the race.

RIC was compromised by the team not changing his tires the first time thru the pit lane
It's a global drivers fight aspect pushing the whole team to look at you first. The team will always choose one of the 2, RBR strategist did their job today, what I can see they are thinking that Ric is strong than Max and It s okay if he is the guy who deserves more struggling.
Last edited by jurinius on 09 Apr 2017, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

f1316
f1316

ferkan wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 12:38
f1316 wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 12:18
I think today showed a slight pace advantage for the Mercedes that continued into the race; I don't believe - in these conditions at least - that the Ferrari was the better race car, in fact I think there was probably a tenth or two advantage to the Mercedes. Given it's a front limited circuit, given the cool conditions, this may well explain the difference in how the cars were treating their tyres vs Melbourne.

On the SC debate: Vettel was 17 secs off the lead before Giovanazzi's accident; that's not enough for Lewis to pit and retain the lead. Regardless though, it was a gamble to pit early and it didn't pay off - that's just the way it is; luck/bad luck is all irrelevant.
Exactly 0.030s per lap in last stint between Vettel and Bottas with Ham further behind. Mercs on new S, Vet on used. I think it was extremely close. Hard to judge when Vettel was stuck behind train. He was 6.3s behind by the end, got out with 10.6s deficit.
Right but Hamilton had no reason to push and seemed to have more pace when he needed it. Just my impression anyway; I personally also think the comparison between Bottas and Kimi's pace is instructive .

ferkan
ferkan

f1316 wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 12:52
ferkan wrote:
f1316 wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 12:18
I think today showed a slight pace advantage for the Mercedes that continued into the race; I don't believe - in these conditions at least - that the Ferrari was the better race car, in fact I think there was probably a tenth or two advantage to the Mercedes. Given it's a front limited circuit, given the cool conditions, this may well explain the difference in how the cars were treating their tyres vs Melbourne.

On the SC debate: Vettel was 17 secs off the lead before Giovanazzi's accident; that's not enough for Lewis to pit and retain the lead. Regardless though, it was a gamble to pit early and it didn't pay off - that's just the way it is; luck/bad luck is all irrelevant.
Exactly 0.030s per lap in last stint between Vettel and Bottas with Ham further behind. Mercs on new S, Vet on used. I think it was extremely close. Hard to judge when Vettel was stuck behind train. He was 6.3s behind by the end, got out with 10.6s deficit.
Right but Hamilton had no reason to push and seemed to have more pace when he needed it. Just my impression anyway; I personally also think the comparison between Bottas and Kimi's pace is instructive .
Why would you compare slowest Ferrari to fastest Merc in last stint? Bottas was pushing and was fastest driver on softs, but only by 0.030 plus he was on new softs, vettel was on used. Dont think there was much between cars.

f1316
f1316

Phil wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 12:21
F1316, correct, but it would have been sensless to pit at that point, or else they would have pitted under the VSC already. That 17 second gap would have extended as a result of traffic and pacing of the cars. One would also ask how much risk the drivers on slicks would be willing to take vs those on inters with more confidence over the entirety of a lap.
I respectfully disagree; I think on a track drying that fast, the inters would have ripped themselves to shreds in a couple of laps. I'm certain they would all have been in very soon, in which time I think the gap would be coming down if anything.

Seb's quote on this:

""I realised the inters had quite a log of degradation, I knew it was dry in some parts of the track and I was happy to take the risk," said Vettel of his early stop.

"But the safety car came in just as I could feel the dries were a lot quicker, so I lost a lot of positions."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... ng-891668/

A brave but ultimately flawed call that could have won them the race (I don't think they would have won without trying it, although would have been much closer) but didn't work out.

ecapox

FrukostScones wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 11:02
so ALO broke the car because couldn't let go as some people speculate , the driveshaft sheered off becuase of his tring not to be overtaking shenigans? McLaren failed the "curb test" (the real one) ...?
While I lost a bit of respect for him with how he acted at Ferrari and then left, he's been driving the --- wheels off that turd of a car. If he continues to drive like he has and continues to break the cars, they should appreciate that!

f1316
f1316

ferkan wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 12:54
f1316 wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 12:52
ferkan wrote:

Why would you compare slowest Ferrari to fastest Merc in last stint? Bottas was pushing and was fastest driver on softs, but only by 0.030 plus he was on new softs, vettel was on used. Dont think there was much between cars.
Like I say, don't think Bottas was the faster package, Lewis just looking after the car.

Kimi vs Valterri is slowest Ferrari vs slowest Merc imo (and wasn't Kimi on newer tyres?).

Oh also btw Ferrari doing that pointless second run Q2 cost them today; threw away the new set of SS that would have been an advantage for the final stint.

ferkan
ferkan

I mean, Bottas pushed in last stint and was, factually fastest driver on the track. He was on new softs and, while he eas 0.18 tenths down in qualis, it was probably much less over race distance.

I agree with Vettel, there was very littlr between cars. At most 0.06 seconds.

basti313
basti313

ferkan wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 13:10
I mean, Bottas pushed in last stint and was, factually fastest driver on the track.
During the last 12 laps (free air for Bot) the gap increased by 6sec...so Vet was 0.5sec faster per lap.
But I think this is all difficult to judge. I do not think any one except the Bulls was pushing at the end.
Don`t russel the hamster!

GPR-A duplicate2

ecapox wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 13:00
While I lost a bit of respect for him with how he acted at Ferrari and then left, he's been driving the --- wheels off that turd of a car. If he continues to drive like he has and continues to break the cars, they should appreciate that!
I am sure you must have lost massive respect for Ferrari too for churning out dogs that he dragged to some astonishing results, Right? No?
Is this the first time Honda is breaking? Every other car that gets driven a bit aggressive breaks?
When are these blind Ferrari fans would grow up? Whatever little respect Ferrari got was becausef of him from 2011 to 2013. Learn to respect that.

marvin78
marvin78

The Honda didn't break this time. It was the McLaren, like very often in the last seasons.

Webber2011
Webber2011

I have NO idea if this link will work, or whether it's been posted before, but it made me laugh :D

I tried to do it from the F1 website but it wouldn't work, so I just did my facebook link.

Got to love Alonso's under the leg shot, even with all the shite going on, the bloke's still got a sense of humour :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/video ... 750902909/

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Jester Maroc wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
Ricciardo is mediocre btw.
Are talking about the same Ricciardo who schooled Vettel in 2014? Ricciardo is doing a great job IMO and might have been able to pass Verstappen had there been a couple more laps left in the race.
Vettel needed to make sure he didn't place 3rd in the WDC that year to avoid meeting the performance clause in his contract and giving Red Bull an option on him for 2015, allowing him to go to Ferrari.

cplchanb
cplchanb

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
09 Apr 2017, 11:44
Jester Maroc wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
OP thinks refuelling is the solution, another nonsense that can't die #-o after 'durable tyres will help overtaking' and 'pushing 100% 1 stoppers are exciting'. I watched the second half only, except for Grosjean's overtakes nothing interesting. Is the first part worth watching? Probably will anyway.

Verstappen - what a whiner, begging for FIA's help again :D . Look, if the FIA hadn't gifted you position with bogus penalties, maybe you wouldn't have to deal with Grosjean in the first place. Brawn or Ecclestone, no difference, the same corrupted clique ruining this sport, stole some points from Haas and helped marketing chosen ones. Ricciardo is mediocre btw.

RIC was compromised by the team not changing his tires the first time thru the pit lane
Actually not true
When Ric pitted raik was so far behind that he didn't lose anything when he came out

SectorOne

My move of the day, Massa had no idea :D

https://streamable.com/q0jqt
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

iotar__

- Where was this interesting race? For some interesting race = I like results. Vettel lost on an early stop, then he was stuck behind Raikk and Rbs, not the greatest achievement to pass them when it was too late.

- Bottas - not that unexpected, never particularly good in the wet. Lost on double stop.

- Vettel - out of position at the start, not a problem if you're driving Ferrari, Where is Charlie 'rules are rules' Whiting?