2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Juzh wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 19:10
dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 16:58
Juzh wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:28

He had like zero battery. Used it all up trying to get out of drs. He was recharging mid straight.
Battery wasn't empty, but he sure wanted to make sure it was full by the main straight. In all attempts by VER, LEC lifted, left the door open and then proceeded to re-pass in the next DRS zone. LEC can't possibly deplete the battery in a single straight, while VER uses battery deployment in every straight with minimal recharge, and obviously in quali they deploy all lap.
Dude, go watch leclerc's onboard when he came out of pits for the first time. He used whatever was left in the battery on his outlap in an attempt to make 1s gap before drs detection line, then he had nothing to defend with on the main straight. That's why Verstappen was coming at him with 45 km/h advantage. Leclerc couldn't do anything at that point but watch verstappen fly past him. He was smart second time round to just let him have inside line and then outdrag on him down to T4, but in both cases he had no charge left for main straight.

He even tells Verstappen as much during his pen interview after the race

"struggling with SOC (state of charge - battery)"
I'll take your point of course if Charles says it, then it's true, it still seems strange as he literally only pushed deployment in the second straight.

These are laps 17 (red), 18 (white), 19 (yellow), 20 (green). The only outlier in terms of deployment is the second straight to T4, all the other straights are recovering energy and in T1 he's not struggling at all, he's not switching to 8th gear.

wogx

Carlos Sainz had mixed feelings despite tying his career-best finish with second in the Bahrain Grand Prix, describing the weekend as his “most difficult” in Ferrari colours.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... oxteg.html
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

dialtone
dialtone

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 21:56
Juzh wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Battery wasn't empty, but he sure wanted to make sure it was full by the main straight. In all attempts by VER, LEC lifted, left the door open and then proceeded to re-pass in the next DRS zone. LEC can't possibly deplete the battery in a single straight, while VER uses battery deployment in every straight with minimal recharge, and obviously in quali they deploy all lap.
Dude, go watch leclerc's onboard when he came out of pits for the first time. He used whatever was left in the battery on his outlap in an attempt to make 1s gap before drs detection line, then he had nothing to defend with on the main straight. That's why Verstappen was coming at him with 45 km/h advantage. Leclerc couldn't do anything at that point but watch verstappen fly past him. He was smart second time round to just let him have inside line and then outdrag on him down to T4, but in both cases he had no charge left for main straight.

I'll take your point of course if Charles says it, then it's true, it still seems strange as he literally only pushed deployment in the second straight.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/vv-d ... wahabi.png

These are laps 17 (red), 18 (white), 19 (yellow), 20 (green). The only outlier in terms of deployment is the second straight to T4, all the other straights are recovering energy and in T1 he's not struggling at all, he's not switching to 8th gear.
After watching the video from the race topic I can say we were both right. Leclerc battery was empty to begin with when he got in the pits he already had only 20% battery. Probably Verstappen charged it up before the attempted the undercut since he was losing some time anyway, and used all of his power for 2 laps to try and overtake.

Pretty cool.

Juzh

dialtone wrote:
Juzh wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Leclerc used a lot of energy already on the inlap, he switched to "mode box" after verstappen pitted to cover the undercut. This meant he entered pits with only 25% battery. He then recovered additional 25% trough the pits, but that still leaves only 50% battery for the outlap, which he then spent very fast trying to run away. Another thing worth knowing is ferrari never depletes battery to below 10%, so in reality he was almost completely empty for a number of laps.

It's not the first time we've seen this happen. Remember hamilton in brazil 2019, he spent everything trying to undercut verstappen but was then a sitting duck when he was left with zero charge for half of uphill stretch. This meant verstappen managed to gain bus lengths on him and overtake him with a very large overspeed. Hamilton soon thereafter complained on the radio why team wasn't informing him that his battery is empty (which is strange as battery levels are always displayed on steering wheel exactly for this reason).

dialtone
dialtone

Juzh wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 00:19
dialtone wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Leclerc used a lot of energy already on the inlap, he switched to "mode box" after verstappen pitted to cover the undercut. This meant he entered pits with only 25% battery. He then recovered additional 25% trough the pits, but that still leaves only 50% battery for the outlap, which he then spent very fast trying to run away. Another thing worth knowing is ferrari never depletes battery to below 10%, so in reality he was almost completely empty for a number of laps.

It's not the first time we've seen this happen. Remember hamilton in brazil 2019, he spent everything trying to undercut verstappen but was then a sitting duck when he was left with zero charge for half of uphill stretch. This meant verstappen managed to gain bus lengths on him and overtake him with a very large overspeed. Hamilton soon thereafter complained on the radio why team wasn't informing him that his battery is empty (which is strange as battery levels are always displayed on steering wheel exactly for this reason).
Exactly, the onboard video from Leclerc really shows this is what happened. That leaves me however more in awe of the engine because they resisted Verstappen attacks with a hand behind their back really, even went all the way up to SOC10 which is super aggressive easy to see in the telemetry how hard it tries to recover energy.

Drift4794
Drift4794

Are we still sure that Ferrari has the best PU? It seems like between 200-270km/h, it reigns supreme but after that Honda takes over. Could be a problem in Jeddah...

Andres125sx

rafeyahmad wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 08:25
Are we still sure that Ferrari has the best PU?
WCC standings:

1 FERRARI 44
2 MERCEDES 27
3 HAAS FERRARI 10
4 ALFA ROMEO FERRARI 9

Obviously RBR should be there, but it can´t be a coindicence if the three teams with Ferrari PU are in top 4 =D>

dialtone
dialtone

rafeyahmad wrote:Are we still sure that Ferrari has the best PU? It seems like between 200-270km/h, it reigns supreme but after that Honda takes over. Could be a problem in Jeddah...
100% sure. Above 270 kmh only drag matters. In Jeddah they’ll have less wing.

ringo

Andres125sx wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 08:50
rafeyahmad wrote:
WCC standings:

1 FERRARI 44
2 MERCEDES 27
3 HAAS FERRARI 10
4 ALFA ROMEO FERRARI 9

Obviously RBR should be there, but it can´t be a coindicence if the three teams with Ferrari PU are in top 4 =D>
Seems like new regulations always favour the best engine. And with this dumb engine freeze thanks to redbull.. who knows ferrari domination days could be back. I don't mind seeing Leclerc then Sainz as champion two years running though. I felt sorry for Ferrari all these years.
For Sure!!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

wogx wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 23:33
Carlos Sainz had mixed feelings despite tying his career-best finish with second in the Bahrain Grand Prix, describing the weekend as his “most difficult” in Ferrari colours.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... oxteg.html
I think like last season Sainz need to adapt a bit to the car and understand it. Then he'll probably deliver. Charles obviously got more raw speed, furthemore he always had a terrific pace at Sakhir.

Otherwise, it's a very important season for Sainz to prove himself as a top tier driver and not a "1,5".

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

ringo wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 09:21
Andres125sx wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 08:50
rafeyahmad wrote:
WCC standings:

1 FERRARI 44
2 MERCEDES 27
3 HAAS FERRARI 10
4 ALFA ROMEO FERRARI 9

Seems like new regulations always favour the best engine. And with this dumb engine freeze thanks to redbull.. who knows ferrari domination days could be back. I don't mind seeing Leclerc then Sainz as champion two years running though. I felt sorry for Ferrari all these years.
Yeah. As a Ferrari fan and especially after what happened in 2020, I am especially pleased to see the power of this new engine. I've kind of become a max fan too due to last season :lol:
Can't wait for more LEC vs VER. As long as mercedes lose every weeknd, I'll be happy :mrgreen:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wowgr8
wowgr8

rafeyahmad wrote:
Are we still sure that Ferrari has the best PU? It seems like between 200-270km/h, it reigns supreme but after that Honda takes over. Could be a problem in Jeddah...
Perez himself said the Ferrari is currently the best PU so... As for Jeddah the Red Bull seems to have better aero efficiency, we'll see how they do there

LM10
LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 11:04
rafeyahmad wrote:
Perez himself said the Ferrari is currently the best PU so... As for Jeddah the Red Bull seems to have better aero efficiency, we'll see how they do there
If Ferrari has the best PU "currently" it most probably will stay like this since PUs are frozen. So either Perez has forgotten that or the Honda is not at 100% due to reliability issues or something like that, which I doubt.

If RedBull has a better aero efficiency or not, will only be seen in the coming races. Not only after one race in Bahrain.

Drift4794
Drift4794

dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 09:00
rafeyahmad wrote:Are we still sure that Ferrari has the best PU? It seems like between 200-270km/h, it reigns supreme but after that Honda takes over. Could be a problem in Jeddah...
100% sure. Above 270 kmh only drag matters. In Jeddah they’ll have less wing.
Yeah, hopefully they have the edge over RB after that. I asked because throughout testing and during and after the Bahrain race, I sifted through lots of reports from Duchessa, AMuS, Fredrico Albano -- RB having a very refined aerodynamic package was a constant in all of them.

If the Ferrari indeed is slightly less aero-efficient, as I suspect (premature I know), I hope their more powerful PU can tip the balance in their favor.

wowgr8
wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 11:48

If Ferrari has the best PU "currently" it most probably will stay like this since PUs are frozen. So either Perez has forgotten that or the Honda is not at 100% due to reliability issues or something like that, which I doubt.

If RedBull has a better aero efficiency or not, will only be seen in the coming races. Not only after one race in Bahrain.
Duchessa said way before the season started that the engine manufacturers still have doubts over E10 performance/reliability, and that they weren't sure what power modes everyone would be running at the start of the year (I think this is what Mercedes are doing, being more conservative with their modes), so as the season goes on different manufacturers may or may not unlock more power

That's what I said, the Red Bull seems to have better efficiency, we'll see how they do in Jeddah