Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Re: Renault R29

SZ wrote:SR71 certainly doesn't have the lowest drag coefficient possible, nor is it designed to. If you had any idea how the chines on the side of the nose worked you'd understand this immediately. The aerodynamically significant systems on the Blackbird are anything but 'slick and rounded'.

Err... well...

I'm not in any way supporting vasia's quite frankly rubbish arguments, but the chines did improve the overall performance of the A-12 in cruise quite significantly.

I know what your saying about a LERX - which is essentially what the chines are, and normally, yes, it does induce a helluva lot of drag. But there is usually an exception to every rule - here the Blackbird is it.

jon-mullen

Piquet fastest through the speed trap in FP2 @ 308 km/h. The R29 is slow in a what now?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

PlatinumZealot

Ah thank you! I was looking for the top speeds to post.. The Renault is one of the Faster cars.. So that nose is working quite well.

Looking on the side profile. i can sorta outline the shape. and it is quite fine to me.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

DM0407
DM0407

Could you imagine if Alonso and this car had a child?

That nose and those eyebrows?! ughh

SZ
SZ

kilcoo316 wrote: Err... well...

I'm not in any way supporting vasia's quite frankly rubbish arguments, but the chines did improve the overall performance of the A-12 in cruise quite significantly.
Err... well... no ---. As I suggested, they're an aerodynamically significant system.
kilcoo316 wrote: I know what your saying about a LERX - which is essentially what the chines are, and normally, yes, it does induce a helluva lot of drag. But there is usually an exception to every rule - here the Blackbird is it.
No exception here.

vasia suggests the Blackbird's nose is 'slick and rounded' and that this leads to less drag - it's not slick nor rounded, intentionally so, and it's a higher-drag solution than it could have been sans-chines, again intentionally. Just like a race car: there's more to aerodynamic performance than drag alone, even at Mach 3+ (particularly so for the Blackbird given typical missions... like generating decent lift at 80,000+ft where air's a bit thin.) Experimenting with chines gave rise to an aerodynamic solution that gave the Blackbird (for the time) unusually good handling qualities for a plane with its capabilities. As you allude, this solution has been used many times to a general aerodynamic advantage.

But let's not confuse an improvement in 'aerodynamic performance' with 'less drag', which is what vasia is suggesting.
They're far from the same thing.

The Blackbird's chines incurred a drag penalty - no question nor exception about it - but generated useful lift and stability improvements without which the same design would not fulfil its design brief (as you correctly suggest, cruise in particular). They're one of two standout aerodynamic systems on that plane (and having seen a Blackbird first hand, they're more complex than they look in photos - truly anything but 'slick and rounded'). Again, I agree/suggested earlier that there's improvements in overall aerodynamic performance, but vasia's suggestion that these improvements are based on minimal drag is totally stupid - I'm sure you'll agree.

As is vasia's insistence that any (incredibly minor, if that) differences in form drag about different nose designs explains performance differentials between race cars with ultimately similar cross-sectional areas. Unless they're top speed or mileage marathon racers, significant differences in downforce - not minor differences in drag - are the problem.

As a good example (vasia, not you kilcoo316): what's likely to be more advantageous to an F1 car - a 5% reduction in drag, or a 5% increase in downforce? (You've got no clue if you honestly think it's the drag reduction.)

Which brings us back to the same point: if vasia can tie the nose design to a difference in downforce, vasia has a conversation worth having.

At the moment it's just an ill-founded insistence, and the SR-71 analogy is plainly incorrect.

PS kilcoo316: calling it an A-12 - dead giveaway you're an aero freak, your cover is blown :lol:.

vasia
vasia

I see where this conversation is going, and that was not my intent. I don't want to get into a discussion of chines or other such systems/devices.

I must be wrong and Renault and you guys must be right. That nose has got to be the most optimal design possible and the most efficient in terms of drag/downforce levels and in terms of efficient airflow to the rest of the car. Renault must be on to something very clever with that nose that most of the other teams are not aware of. :roll:

Since I don't work for Renault, there is no way I can show the effect the current nose has on the car, or what effect any other nose would have on the car comparatively.

xpensive
xpensive

Actually, whenever I look at that R29 nose, it reminds me of how many Engineers I have met with the habit of locking
on an idea or design to absurdity. Having ten more successful competitors with different designs doesn't mean ---.

One of the talents of a good engineer, or any man for that matter, is to admit to be wrong at times.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

SZ
SZ

vasia wrote:I see where this conversation is going, and that was not my intent. I don't want to get into a discussion of chines or other such systems/devices.
This isn't where it's going at all. Don't chicken out now.

The discussion concerns your poor understanding of the aerodynamics involved, and how they apply to a racecar.

Explain how it does or doesn't generate downforce, or how it limits the ability of the rest of the car to do so. Focussing on drag doesn't make sense - ask yourself the 5% question in my last post.

There's no question Renault was around a second off on raw pace at Melbourne - that it's clearly not the fastest car on the grid - or that the nose is part of the aerodynamic solution they've chosen to go with. But there's far more to performance than just aerodynamic performance, and of the aerodynamic systems that aren't working as optimally as those on competing cars it's a joke to suggest the difference is down to any small difference in drag.

This forum is called f1technical after all, right?

As said, don't chicken out now, just give it a second try.

Shaddock

xpensive wrote:Actually, whenever I look at that R29 nose, it reminds me of how many Engineers I have met with the habit of locking
on an idea or design to absurdity. Having ten more successful competitors with different designs doesn't mean ---.

One of the talents of a good engineer, or any man for that matter, is to admit to be wrong at times.
Renault have already changes their front wing. At launch they went for directing airflow over the tyres, and now they have conformed to the 'norm' of going around.

If they do change it, it will be when/if they introduce a diffuser to their current package.

DM0407
DM0407

Bell is not stupid nor stubborn. If this design was a dead end then he would have already had a Brawn clone in development.

Also, drag isn't just produced at the nose, maybe this design allows other areas of the car to have a cleaner air flow. For all we know this car could have the lowest drag co efficient, and the best downforce but has horrible balance or cant get everything out of the tires.

If having the fastest car was only about pretty aerodynamics then anyone could build a winner.

xpensive
xpensive

Bob Bell won't build a winner this year anyway, that much is for certain. :lol:

Seriously, how many races before Williams dropped their ugly nose in 2005?

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Bob Bell won't build a winner this year anyway, that much is for certain. :lol:

So far R29 outpaces MP4-24. So ugly car beats one that many find beautiful.
Admit it, the only thing you can say about R29 nose is that you don't like how it looks. And NOTHING about whether it works as good as it supposed to.

xpensive
xpensive

That is true of course. But on the other hand, if you try something nobody else seems to believe in, but without notable success, what's an engineer's conclusion?

Either: It didn't do any good in reality, just like the Wiliams in 2005.
Or: The car would have been even worse with a more conventional nose?

My bet is that come the European season, we will see a different nose. But then again, I said that about Melbourne too.

DM0407
DM0407

xpensive wrote:Bob Bell won't build a winner this year anyway, that much is for certain. :lol:

Who would have thought that Alonso would have won two races last year after the start they had? Alonso seems to be optimistic (less so this weekend) that Renault are close, last year he referred to the car as 'undrivable'...

Michiba
Michiba

From what I can remember, the walrus nose was a reactionary measure, to fix another design flaw (I can't remember exactly). The renault nose appears to be a proactive measure to increaase front end downforce. Anyone care to correct me?

What I get from that is that williams were correcting a deficiency, whereas renault are using that nose because it provides additional benefit, so there is less chance that they will get rid of it.

I have absolutely no aero experience so please be gentle, i'm just purely speculating based on the info I get from f1technical.

Can I just also add, that just because it is ugly, doesn't mean it doesn't work (as has been said before). There are many examples of things that may on the surface that seem counter intuitive but in reality they work very well.