Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
feynman
feynman

Re: Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

feynman wrote:Someone should grab Whitmarsh before he leaves the paddock, betcha they find a siphon tube down his trouser-leg :P
Hey, I was only kidding ... but then in the McLaren press release, Martin says:

“Not enough fuel was put in the car – there was a miscommunication.”

Wowzer ... sober, with a straight face, and in broad daylight, to use the M word again, it's a bit much, no?
He must have balls the size of space hoppers. #-o

10grand, get Diageo to pick that up.

ISLAMATRON

Is Button also on options/greens/softs?

Can anyone confirm if McLaren are the only team in Q3 on the options/greens/softs?

feynman
feynman

I believe everyone in the top10 is on soft except the Red Bulls and Kubica.

WhiteBlue

ringo wrote:Why so many excuses for Vettel? :mrgreen:
He uncharacteristically messed up a very good lap, he simply was not better than Webber in Q3.
Please read again what I wrote. I only mentioned the facts. Webber got his tyres perfectly up to temperature and improved his lap times for three consecutive laps. He set his best lap several minutes before the end of the session and actually touched a wall on that lap. He could easily go that risk because his previous laps had already been very good.

Vettel did not mess up the lap he messed up on properly heating up his tyres and was on P5 when he crossed the line for his final lap. That lap was driven with a bit less risk than Webber's which only makes sense considering the circumstances. After all the difference was only 0.05 s. I'm not excusing anything and I say explicitly that Webber was by far the better qualifier in Canada. He is vastly experienced on this track and that has probably been helpful. Vettel has been there only once before if I remember right and he needs to smart up a bit.

I still think the Red Bulls could have been 0.3 s faster on the options. They were 0.15 s faster on the options in FP3 when the track temp was down to 21°C. For qualifying the track was at least 30°C and had much more rubber. My view is that it was probably a strategical move by Red Bull to achieve a one stop race. They will do the heavy fuel load first stint on the primes and change to options very late in the race when the cars will be lighter and the track will have optimum rubber. Even if they can't do one stopper they can run in clean air for perhaps 25 laps after Hamilton is already in for a stop.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 13 Jun 2010, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ISLAMATRON

feynman wrote:I believe everyone in the top10 is on soft except the Red Bulls and Kubica.
Thanks, can anyone else confirm?

WhiteBlue

ISLAMATRON wrote:
feynman wrote:I believe everyone in the top10 is on soft except the Red Bulls and Kubica.
I'm pretty sure he is right. Kubica you can confirm from the pics in this thread. I positively know about Hamilton, Button, Rosberg, Sutil, Liuzzi from the comments.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

zgred

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Kubica also starting on harder tyres
f1.gpupdate.net wrote:Like Red Bull Racing, Robert Kubica also elected to complete qualifying on the harder, 'Prime' tyre compound in Canada.
And for everybody who didn't see it due to advertising and other reasons - be faster than Bernie:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWbSp3rv ... r_embedded#![/youtube]

tarzoon

ringo wrote: That was a monster quailfying from The BOSS
Bruce Springsteen is a F1 pilot?? :o

Anyone had a list with of the top speed by each pilot during quali?
Last edited by tarzoon on 13 Jun 2010, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

andartop
andartop

That was indeed quite an interesting quali, glad to see F1 back in Canada, in what I think is one of the most exciting venues despite all the problems with track surface. Well done to LH for pole, the Red Bulls, Alonso, Liuzzi and Kubica.

PS. Reality check for fanboys with Lewis Hamilton-tinted glasses (no racism there Islam): Tazio Nuvolari pushing his burning car on the last lap in Monaco 1933 while being chased by the fire marshals and collapsing 200 meters from the finish line was heroic. What Lewis and Macca did today was not.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

zenithbeach

zgred wrote: And for everybody who didn't see it due to advertising and other reasons - be faster than Bernie:
awesome! thanks :D

btw does lewis have to pay the 10k? i mean it was his team who messed up, right? not that it matters much since hes loaded lol

feynman
feynman

tarzoon wrote:

Well, to be fair, it does say so on his car:

ISLAMATRON

andartop wrote:PS. Reality check for fanboys with Lewis Hamilton-tinted glasses (no racism there Islam): Tazio Nuvolari pushing his burning car on the last lap in Monaco 1933 while being chased by the fire marshals and collapsing 200 meters from the finish line was heroic. What Lewis and Macca did today was not.
That doesnt sound heroic, it sounds stupid... and I dont think anyone claimed that Hamilton did anything heroic today, much better qualy than his teammate though... again.

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton sitting on the rolling car was Sublime. Hamilton was even getting his "Captian Morgan" on, on top of that Macca. 8)

Very contrasting scene, as Novulari collapsed after his heroics.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ringo

tarzoon wrote:

Who is bruce springstein?

Lol, i know who he is, but remember he is not well know outside of America, much-less to the younger generation. Springstein is the boss
then you have THE BOSS :wink:

I don't have the topspeeds though i would like to know if renault backed of the topspeed before quali and chose to go with a little more downforce.
For Sure!!

ringo

andartop wrote:That was indeed quite an interesting quali, glad to see F1 back in Canada, in what I think is one of the most exciting venues despite all the problems with track surface. Well done to LH for pole, the Red Bulls, Alonso, Liuzzi and Kubica.

PS. Reality check for fanboys with Lewis Hamilton-tinted glasses (no racism there Islam): Tazio Nuvolari pushing his burning car on the last lap in Monaco 1933 while being chased by the fire marshals and collapsing 200 meters from the finish line was heroic. What Lewis and Macca did today was not.
So collapsing is heroic?
If Lewis collapsed that would be saying something about the driver's fitness levels.

Lewis was not heroic to any real cause, i was just talking about the impression of coming through waving to the fans, almost as if he won a race. It matched the on the edge feeling i think most got from watching that qualy.
Webber's last effort made it even more on edge, the way how he came around the last corner. I almost though Lewis had no chance after that run by the redbull.

If he collapsed and fell on his face after pushing the car that would be more hilarious than heroic. The car would probably run off and hit a ground hog or something. :)
For Sure!!