Exhaust Blown Floor - Forward Exhaust Exit

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Exhaust Blown Floor - Forward Exhaust Exit

the latest pics from australia suggest that teams do not shy away to let their exhausts pipes take 180°bends...

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

marcush. wrote:the latest pics from australia suggest that teams do not shy away to let their exhausts pipes take 180°bends...
Link to pictures please. :wink:

marekk
marekk

shelly wrote:@marekk: I have followed the thread, but I have seen that there no agreemente has been found, that's why I wanted to recap shared ideas and build on them.

Below I report my ideas on your view point, item by item, to see if we can convince each other about some new "bricks" in this reasoning.

1. external flow is strongly conditined by teatray-sidepod shape: so in exahust proximity it will be slower and bended some 60° to longitudinal direction.
It will be more longitudinal in the layer below, that goes under the floor.
So there is an attenuation of prependicular interaction, which is somehow limited to the lower zone of the jet.
2. agree that both are subsonic for each fluid temperature and that they are comparable (you know I think exahust are faster, but not that faster).
3. we do care for pressure variation coming form dynamic pressure
4. disagree on the two dryers example, in which two jets are intersecting. We are in a jet in crossflow situation, like in the cfd image you posted a while ago. No instantaneous 100% mixing, turbulent mixing instead
5. agree
6. agree
7. agree from 6, but slightly disagree basing on my 1: I think your point 7 is applicable on the part of exahsut going under the floor, not on the top part
8. I think it could be, but I do not understand why separating jet in two parts lead to greater area covered

I think flow from exaust will partly go on floor lip (heat shielded part) and then around it. External flow will be partly deviated by the presence of the jet itself and will squeeze under the floor, as part of the exhaust will do; mixing and entraining will take place.

Agree that most of exhaust will go under the floor; raising the lip goes probably in the direction of increasing percentage of under the floor exhaust.

Agree that cooling under the floor is beneficial(inward deflection of pathlines will call fluid from tha sides of the floor).

Effect estimate: 150kgf at 60m/s is huge, some 70 points of downforce. I think half this value is big enough to justify this effort; but if we see r31 making 1-2 in melbourne hands down I will agree on 150kgf. Do not forget that external air will be called inside in cooling.

I think we can discuss disagreement points further
1. Agree. hard to tell how much without CFD and tunnel data, but you are right - external flow comes slower and angled.
2. Exhaust speed is strongly related to pipes exit area (not that mauch to temp). Once wee have better pictures with some reference points, we can try to calculate it more precisely.
3. I still belive there is no dynamic pressure in free flowing stream - it's "potential" part of total pressure of gases, stored in flow's kinetic energy, and can be converted to significant dynamic pressure only on contact with solid/liquid (much more dense) surfaces. I will research it further.
4. This CFD image is a little misleading because of closed space, but i agree mixing will be not uniform and highly turbulent. I've used wrong wording - instant means for me first few molecules of both flows will mix as soon as exhaust leaves pipe (or even a little earlier).
7. Agree
8. 2 cone-shaped flows starting form pipe's exit, but at different angle, cover more area than single flow.

Because there is no vertical momentum in exhaust gases, i don't believe it will change external flow's vertical direction, but i try to research it further.

My 150 kgf of downforce is a litlle from the hat. I've made some calculations of thermal radiation and heat transfer rate to tarmac and floor, but lacking any real data except floors area i can be easily wrong by more then 50%.

We can try to estimate downforce gain related to increased mass flow, but at 0,45 kg/s and 50-150 m/s i doubt it will be THAT (as in all other explanations of FFE) significant.

Ferraripilot

Will someone explain how the Renault and Red Bull units are more efficient? I posted this question in the W02 thread but figured it's more appropriate here. W02 blows straight back from the center of the sidepods while the Renault system appears to lose much of the exhaust into the rear tire wash. Which is better ?

PlatinumZealot

marcush. wrote:the latest pics from australia suggest that teams do not shy away to let their exhausts pipes take 180°bends...
Thank god you mentioned this marcush.. I take it some of us have never seen an exhaust manifold before? :lol:

Adding one extra bend won't hurt that much.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

marekk
marekk

n smikle wrote:Adding one extra bend won't hurt that much.
Depends on your design goal. If you don't need it, you don't make it.
In case of R31's FFE, full 180 degree bend will have more frontal area (drag), and exhaust gases will lose some energy.

marcush.
marcush.

180° bends in high performance exhausts are to be avoided.period.First rule of any serious exhaust fabricator...You would avoid even 90° bends for performance and split those in 45°s coupled by a short length of straight tubing ..

shelly
shelly

marekk wrote: 3. I still belive there is no dynamic pressure in free flowing stream - it's "potential" part of total pressure of gases, stored in flow's kinetic energy, and can be converted to significant dynamic pressure only on contact with solid/liquid (much more dense) surfaces. I will research it further.
4. This CFD image is a little misleading because of closed space, but i agree mixing will be not uniform and highly turbulent. I've used wrong wording - instant means for me first few molecules of both flows will mix as soon as exhaust leaves pipe (or even a little earlier).
3. gas kinetic energy will be converted in static pressure by arresting the jet against the heat shield
4. so we both agree that there will be a small zone in front of the leading edge in which the fluid will be 98% exhaust?
marekk wrote: Because there is no vertical momentum in exhaust gases, i don't believe it will change external flow's vertical direction, but i try to research it further.
From my 4., the external flow is forced to go around the jet, as you can see in all jet in crossflow picture. The deflection is comparable to the deflection imposed by a solid leading edge, only different in shape.
marekk wrote:
We can try to estimate downforce gain related to increased mass flow, but at 0,45 kg/s and 50-150 m/s i doubt it will be THAT (as in all other explanations of FFE) significant.
I would like you to be more detailed in explaining what effect you expect to come form gas cooling.
I think that the advantage from cooling the flow under the floor is that hot gases, while reducing their volume, will deflect inwards external side flow (from the zone between fornt and rear wheels) and then increase mass flow under the floor.

So the biggest mass flow increase will come from this side contribution (which is present already in a normal working floor, but would be increased); this is coeherent with the rough explaination given to scarbs, stating that fee would make the floor behave as if it was larger.
twitter: @armchair_aero

marekk
marekk

shelly wrote: 3. gas kinetic energy will be converted in static pressure by arresting the jet against the heat shield
Agree. I've taked wrong version of floor as reference.
4. so we both agree that there will be a small zone in front of the leading edge in which the fluid will be 98% exhaust?
Sure. Taking into account external flow's deflection in this area and pipe's shape it could be most of that volume under heat shield. Hot, slow gas to be sucked by low pressure under the floor. Nice. We should see some vapor on rainy days there :)
From my 4., the external flow is forced to go around the jet, as you can see in all jet in crossflow picture. The deflection is comparable to the deflection imposed by a solid leading edge, only different in shape.
Agree. Jet or not jet, external flow will go around high pressure area in front of heat shield.
I would like you to be more detailed in explaining what effect you expect to come form gas cooling.
I think that the advantage from cooling the flow under the floor is that hot gases, while reducing their volume, will deflect inwards external side flow (from the zone between fornt and rear wheels) and then increase mass flow under the floor.
That's for sure. There is vertical component of this volume decrease to, so less static pressure on floor (and tarmac). Not very much.
So the biggest mass flow increase will come from this side contribution (which is present already in a normal working floor, but would be increased); this is coeherent with the rough explaination given to scarbs, stating that fee would make the floor behave as if it was larger
Yes. But i'm not sure if Scarb's description of exhaust going over the floor and then turning back and going under is correct with this version of the floor with rised heat shield.

It's not that important anyway - the point is most of hot exhaust goes under the floor and contracts, doing some useful work.

ringo

Look like scarbs changed his tune. :wink:
So i guess some of you will as well now? :lol:
For Sure!!

hollus

This cooling (by contact) under the floor would equate speed independent downforce. Actually, the effect might be maximal at slower speeds, where the gas has more rime to cool down. In that case, we should see the R31 blasting everybody away in the slow corners, where those 150Kg can be 20-30% of the total downforce.
Now, if follow you guys, you are converging to this contraction sucking more air in from the sides to feed the diffuser. Is there any chance that with virtual skirts (the rest of the flow!) not so much air will rush in from the sides and they might be trying to create a vacuum under all the floor, even if at the cost of choking the diffuser a bit? A bit of vacuum, pulling all over the floor could mean a lot of downforce. The total atmospheric pressure is 10000Kg/m2, that's a lot of potential by just a few % pressure change. The car would suffer in the fast bits, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

marcush. wrote:180° bends in high performance exhausts are to be avoided.period.First rule of any serious exhaust fabricator...You would avoid even 90° bends for performance and split those in 45°s coupled by a short length of straight tubing ..

UH... there is a huge 180 degree bend right in the picture. You stump your own argument..hehe
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

machin

You would avoid even 90° bends for performance and split those in 45°s coupled by a short length of straight tubing
Assuming that the r/d ratio for each of the different bends is the same Crane's "Flow of Fluids through valves, fittings and Pipe" (THE bible for pipe flow calcs) disagrees with this statement.... and that's not taking into account the extra little bit of pressure loss associated with the short length of pipe between the two 45's...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Raptor22
Raptor22

ringo wrote:Look like scarbs changed his tune. :wink:
So i guess some of you will as well now? :lol:

why did he alter his exhaust length...?

ba dooom ........dish

Raptor22
Raptor22

ala Scarbs

"Front Exit Exhaust

Renault Front Exit Exhaust: Flow passes wide around the floor before entering the diffuser

Renault meanwhile turned the problem on its head. As the aim of the EBD is to increase flow under the car, they pointed their exhaust at the front of the floor. I’ve had it confirmed to me by two ex-Renault sources that the exhaust does indeed mainly flow under the floor.

The exhaust pipe outlet sits above the step plane just ahead of the leading edge of the floor. This is not simply blowing out horizontally and across the floor, but is ducted slightly to blow downwards and backwards, this is roughly in line the with the flow trailing off the “V” shape above the splitter. Along with the strong vortices set up by the splitter, vanes and bargeboards, this makes the floor appear wider than it is. The flow will go out beyond the floor and then curl back in and under the floor. Some flow will inevitably pass over the floor, but the most of the energy will be driving more flow under the floor to the diffuser
."

So can we lay this to rest now. and No Ringo, its not what you were sayig all along.