Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

bhallg2k wrote:Off-throttle blowing was introduced to stabilize the cars as the driver got off the throttle and applied the brakes heading into a corner. Without that overrun, the rears of the cars lost stability when the effects of the EBD were neutralized by a relatively idle engine.
there was overrun also when they were just partly on throttle when they were getting out of a slow-medium corner... im with X2 on this...

bhall
bhall

Even beyond that, mechanical grip dictates pace through slow corners much more so than aerodynamic grip.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Postmoe wrote:
You "forget" the incredible effect on breaking stability of the EBD and overrun. The car was very stable, capable of breaking in agressive attack angles tractioning very early after that.
I haven't forgot anything. Again when are drivers braking the most? Slow speed turns. That's why RB was so good. It's about the slow speed stuff, not the high speed.

The same way smikle's CFD shows the exhaust rises the faster the car goes. The gasses go to the floor more when the speeds are slower.

Teechnical

Why are we discussing the RB8 here?
And btw, is bhalls's hypothesis correct? Or flawed?

@Edit: RB7. Ooops.
Last edited by Teechnical on 03 May 2012, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Teechnical wrote:Why are we discussing the RB8 here?
And btw, is bhalls's hypothesis correct? Or flawed?
Teechnically (pardon the pun :p) we're discussing the RB7, but it pertains to the cars this year and getting the exhaust to the floor.

I'm not sure about bhalls hypothesis either way.

Edit: @postmoe sorry mate, I couldn't tell if you were agreeing or not. Thanks :))
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 03 May 2012, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Postmoe

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Postmoe wrote:
You "forget" the incredible effect on breaking stability of the EBD and overrun. The car was very stable, capable of breaking in agressive attack angles tractioning very early after that.
I haven't forgot anything. Again when are drivers braking the most? Slow speed turns. That's why RB was so good. It's about the slow speed stuff, not the high speed.

The same way smikle's CFD shows the exhaust rises the faster the car goes. The gasses go to the floor more when the speeds are slower.
That's why I used the ¨¨. I knew you didn't forget, it was just giving more information :wink:

FakeAlonso

High Res Pic

FakeAlonso

Alonso Front wing

Last edited by FakeAlonso on 03 May 2012, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

munudeges
munudeges

xpensive wrote:I humbly believe that long before you can truly benefit from xtravaganza such as xhaust precision, you need to have the mechanics right...
Well, as 'sexy' as aerodynamics is it's the mechanics that transmit any aerodynamic grip to the wheels and tyres..........

FakeAlonso

munudeges
munudeges

amouzouris wrote:we will see...i belive that in a few months time...come 2013...more teams will go that route..
Don't know what that's based on in all honesty. In 2014 I'm sure we'll see sensible pull-rod geometries with nothing as shallow as Ferrari have, and I base that on the fact that we will have lower noses that makes a sensible push-rod layout as impractical as the reverse on the Ferrari now. That's the argument some of us have been consistently making........... But, we will indeed see.

Ferraripilot

I believe what we're seeing as what we're getting with F2012. I just don't see the infrastructure on the car for the Mclaren style EBD. Also, they have zero data for that configuration on this very tricky chassis of theirs. I believe it would be foolish of them to make such a radical change.

bhall
bhall

I'm not explaining myself well here.

Cars may very well have used a larger quantity of off-throttle exhaust while braking into slow corners, because, naturally, slow corners take longer. But, like all aerodynamics, the effects off-throttle blowing diminishes more and more as the car gets slower and slower. In that way, off-throttle exhaust only served to provide initial stability at the very moment a when driver got of the gas and onto the brakes. Even before a driver reaches the apex of a slow corner, aerodynamic forces applied to the car are long gone, and the car is then wholly dependent upon mechanical grip.

Conversely, through fast corners that aren't taken flat-out, the quality, or impact, of off-throttle blowing was never greater. Without off-throttle exhaust in a fast corner, getting off the gas introduced a significant moment of instability as the car's balance was disrupted by the sudden lack of rear downforce. Off-throttle blowing neutralized this problem.

Moreover, Red Bull's off-throttle EBD was so effective that they ran considerably less rear wing than the rest of the field. This was only possible due to the stability of of their EBD in fast corners.

For a practical example, think of Silverstone last year. It's a track with very, very few slow-speed corners, but Red Bull suffered tremendously without the full effect of engine overrun. If off-throttle exhaust is mostly effective in slow corners, Red Bull shouldn't have fared so poorly.

(Yes, the thread has moved on from this, but I spent too much time writing it for it to go to waste.)

EDIT: I hate that grammar is important to me. I don't want to care.
Last edited by bhall on 03 May 2012, 14:48, edited 2 times in total.

luicchi
luicchi

with all this Ferrari may find 0.4 sec. :) not bad!!!!

Teechnical

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99304

^I quote Gary Anderson, Autusport's technical analysist from here:

“Potentially you could be looking at two or three tenths from that one change alone."

I'm hoping a change in the shape of the sidepod, to reduce drag, could also add a tenth or two.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.